* [9fans] Beastie Boyz' license to IL
@ 2006-09-04 23:32 Don Bailey
From: Don Bailey @ 2006-09-04 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

http://aversion.net/~north/il.tar.gz

Have fun.

Don "north" Bailey

* Re: [9fans] Beastie Boyz' license to IL
@ 2006-09-05 11:09 ` Rodolfo (kix)
From: Rodolfo (kix) @ 2006-09-05 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi!

probably is a very good DoS ... but you could help to developing some things

This is the "To-Do" list. You are welcome. ;-)

Thanks.

*TODO*  Please *list *the software you are working (or plan to be working)
on in the first section below. Listing your name or email address for
contact would be good too.

The second section below is for stuff in your *todo **list *that you would
like others to do.
IN PROGRESS

   - Port to iMac
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~412/projects/9mac/<http://www.cs.cmu.edu/%7E412/projects/9mac/>

   - IBM Research Hypervisor Support for x86/ppc kernels (11/2004) --
   ericvh <http://cm.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/ericvh>

   - Making the fmt library more portable by safer use of varargs and
   adding %'d and %4$d POSIX extensions for internationalization. -- rob

   - 9P2000.u <http://cm.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/9P2000.u> (9/2004) UNIX
   extensions to the 9P2000 prototocol --
ericvh<http://cm.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/ericvh>& ron minnich

   - CIFS Server <http://www.9fs.org/dist/aquarela>. Early days, but some
   usable functionality.

   - TinyGL <http://fabrice.bellard.free.fr/TinyGL/>. A very light
   implementation of a subset of the OpenGL graphics library. Already ported to
   several non-X windowing environments -- mirtchov@cpsc, stalled, better
   shoot for the real thing and port MesaGL. This has also stalled for a year
   -- the software rendering compiles with ape/pcc, but the driver for draw()
   is half-done.

   - LinuxBIOS <http://www.linuxbios.org/> Mods needed to get *Plan9 *to
   load directly from flash (no 9load) via LinuxBIOS. Also see if I can
   get POST codes into the startup code -- makes debugging new platforms tons
   easier. No impact once the node is up.

   - Read-only FFS (both UFS1 and UFS2) -- wkj

   - Native port of GSL (GNU Scientific Library): numerical integration
   almost working, random distributions in progress -- ++pac
community<http://cm.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/community>2005Apr29

   - 64-bit MIPS port. Currently targeted towards SGI's R4K+ systems. --
   tim at nop dot cx

   - 802.1x supplicant. in progress, /n/sources/contrib/axel/8021x . Only
   supports ttls-pap, that's all I can test here. If you can test other
   variants, please contact me -- axel.belinfante@cs.utwente.nl

   - SNMP File System Server (and mount client). Gabriel Diaz <
   gabidiaz@gmail.com> and Rodolfo Garcia (the kix). <
   rodolfogarciap@gmail.com>

   - DFS layer to go on top of aux/cifs - currently a working DFS client
   has been bodged into cifs, the seperate layer will grow from this -Steve

   - Centrino wifi driver, mostly written, needs to be finishd, see
   /n/sources/contrib/rsc/ipw2200

WISH *LIST*

   - Implement some form of compression in devssl and make drawterm use
   it.

   - a mechanism to lock-focus in ACME (particularly for locking focus in
   the menu bars) to help make things more useable in the face of mouse drift.

   - *tiff*(1) <http://plan9.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/1/tiff> in a
   similar vein to *jpg*(1)<http://plan9.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/1/jpg>,
   *png*(1) <http://plan9.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/1/png> etc. Andrey
   has already ported libtiff see /n/sources/contrig/andrey/libtiff.tgz which
   should help.

   - More ACPI support, see http://www.acpi.info/

   - cdfs to be able to write to DVDs

   - SPF Sender Policy Framework <http://www.openspf.org/> parser/checker
   for use in /mail/lib/validatesender.

   - SSH v2 - This project has stalled and is looking for a new owner.
   See /n/sources/contrib/rsc/sshv2.tar.gz

   - x86 emulator to run the VESA BIOS on PCs, basic emulator already
   exists in /n/sources/contrib/rsc/8i

   - webdavfs - for MS Exchange

   - Kerberos 5 client

   - replica/pull to have a -m (3 way merge) option

   - GUI image manipulation program -
*page*(1)<http://plan9.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/1/page>crossed
with
   *sam*(1) <http://plan9.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/1/sam> which calls
   *resample*(1) <http://plan9.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/1/resample>and
   *crop*(1) <http://plan9.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/1/crop> (and
   other tools)

   - A basic http/ftp proxy - maybe cache/regex advert stripping too.

   - htmlfmt to understand tables.

   - A new option to the fossil console snap command, allowing an already
   ingested vac score to be inserted into the /archive tree.

   - upas/fs modified to leave mail messages on remote media rather than

   - 64-bit PowerPC compilers.

   - cryptfs (see http://www.crypto.com/papers/cfs.pdf).

   - GBDE (see http://phk.freebsd.dk/pubs/bsdcon-03.gbde.paper.pdf and
   http://lists.cse.psu.edu/archives/9fans/2005-February/040378.html).

   - LDAP File System Server

   - Linux binary emulator
linuxemu<http://pdos.lcs.mit.edu/%7Ersc/linuxemu.tar.gz>in theory,
linuxemu
   ld-linux.so.1 bin/a.dynamic is supposed to work, but unfortunately
   ld-linux.so.1 wants to be loaded where the linuxemu text segment is.
   you'd need to move the linuxemu text segment somewhere else and then
   segdetach it before calling elfload. it's entirely doable, especially since
   x86 code is position independent. ... The libraries have changed since I did
   the initial work ... looks like there are new system calls to implement! --
   Russ Cox

   - Tk emulator/port.

   - Command windows instead of menus, everywhere. Maybe a single system
   cmd win connected to the last touched win-- ++pac

   - Input server for Chinese/Japanese/Korean.

   - Some sort of user space emulator, like qemu, for Plan 9.

   - A way for acme applications to set the 'scratch' flag (specially for
   win)

   - LyX port to Plan 9. This is probably going to require:

   - Self-hosting GNU toolchain, including g++. This could be restarted
   from the existing work.

HARDWARE DRIVERS IN PROGRESS

   - PPC970 Port (in faith, haven't started yet, but going to shortly) --
   ericvh <http://cm.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/ericvh>

   - Updating LANL SIS Ethernet driver to support other chipset revisions
   (11/2004) -- Devon H. O'Dell

   - GigE driver for the SysKonnect family of cards (work in progress) --
   cnielsen@pobox.com

   - USB keyboard driver. (Some motherboards provide BIOS options to
   emulate USB keyboards as PS2 keyboards, but this doesn't work for everyone)
   -- proper solution is in progress:
   /n/sources/contrib/nemo/sys/src/cmd/usb/hid/

   - USB hard disk support, allowing access to IPods and other usb
   storage devices. In progress: /n/sources/miller/usb/storage

HARDWARE DRIVERS WANTED

   - IRDA comms

   - AC97 support

DONE PROJECTS

   - Currently at sources: /nemo Redirfs: Fail over from one file server
   to another. Working. Still on testing. -- nemo@*plan9*.escet.urjc.es.

   - A read-only version of upas/fs that you can export via 9P2000 to be
   used for people to browse/search 9fans and plan9dev without having to use
   Google: Use exportfs -R; the TIP9UG guys plan to setup this on their public
   servers.

   - A port of AT&T GraphViz - open source graph drawing software (see
   http://www.graphviz.org/). Compiled graphviz-1.10 with mk and pcc
   (dot, neato, twopi). The plan9 source is at
   http://www2.davidashen.net/graphviz-p9.tbz -- dvd@davidashen.net

   - 64-bit (or 32-bit) version of /sys/src/fs with IDE DMA and RWM,
   Intel Gbe driver, longer filename components and more
   http://www.collyer.net/sys/doc/fs64/fs.ps. The distribution is
   http://www.collyer.net/who/geoff/9/fs64.tgz. -- geoff

   - Unionfs. To merge several trees without binding each directory. For
   example, to make a patch for a read only media. (see
Divergefs<http://cm.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Divergefs>)

------------------------------
(The following sections are to be moved to their own page) PROJECTS

   - Replacing 9load <http://cm.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Replacing_9load>
   - Cross domain
authentication<http://cm.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Cross_domain_authentication>
   - Native dis/Limbo
   - Plan 9 documentation task
force<http://cm.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Plan_9_documentation_task_force>

BLUE SKY

   - Collaborative
Environments<http://cm.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Collaborative_Environments>

--
Rodolfo García "kix"

* Re: [9fans] Beastie Boyz' license to IL
@ 2006-09-05 12:20   ` Iruatã Souza
From: Iruatã Souza @ 2006-09-05 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2006/9/5, Rodolfo (kix) <rodolfogarciap@gmail.com>:
> [...]
> for people to browse/search 9fans and plan9dev without having to use Google:
> Use exportfs -R; the TIP9UG guys plan to setup this on their public servers.
>  A port of AT&T GraphViz - open source graph drawing software (see
> http://www.graphviz.org/). Compiled graphviz-1.10 with mk and pcc (dot,
> neato, twopi). The plan9 source is at
> http://www2.davidashen.net/graphviz-p9.tbz --
> dvd@davidashen.net
>  64-bit (or 32-bit) version of /sys/src/fs with IDE DMA and RWM, Intel Gbe
> driver, longer filename components and more
> http://www.collyer.net/sys/doc/fs64/fs.ps. The distribution
> is http://www.collyer.net/who/geoff/9/fs64.tgz. -- geoff
>  Unionfs. To merge several trees without binding each directory. For
> example, to make a patch for a read only media. (see Divergefs)
> ________________________________
> (The following sections are to be moved to their own page)

a little while ago I started playing a bit with linuxemu. I pretend
coming back to it next week or so, is there any other way to
"announce" this?
and, well, may be trying Plan9 on SGI O2, too.

iru

* Re: [9fans] Beastie Boyz' license to IL
@ 2006-09-05 22:50   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-09-05 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>   *png*(1) <http://plan9.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/1/png> etc. Andrey
>   has already ported libtiff see /n/sources/contrig/andrey/libtiff.tgz which
>   should help.

isn't this already done?

>   - A way for acme applications to set the 'scratch' flag (specially for
>   win)

i did submit a patch for this and it was rejected as not useful.  should this
then come off the wish list?

- erik

* Re: Re: [9fans] Beastie Boyz' license to IL
@ 2006-09-06  0:09     ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2006-09-06  0:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 9/5/06, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> >   *png*(1) <http://plan9.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/1/png> etc. Andrey
> >   has already ported libtiff see /n/sources/contrig/andrey/libtiff.tgz which
> >   should help.
>
> isn't this already done?
>
> >   - A way for acme applications to set the 'scratch' flag (specially for
> >   win)
>
> i did submit a patch for this and it was rejected as not useful.  should this
> then come off the wish list?

Hmmm, I guess so. :-)

For scratch buffers I just type "Delete" then middle click it, and it
doesn't bug me about the buffere being changed or not.

The Plan 9 philosophy seems to be very feature minimalistic, and
features are only added when it's not possible to compose existing
primitive features into the more complex features people are looking
for.

For example, several people have implemented window hiding in
winwatch, I've done it myself and submitted it, but have learned to
live without it.

Dave