* [9fans] Parallels v 3 and Plan 9, anyone tried yet?
@ 2007-06-08 11:38 David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-06-08 11:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I might figure out how to do this next week if no one else has tried,
and update my wiki doc appropriately.

Unless someone else has done so already.  I'm on vacation and probably
won't be anywhere near a decent link to do it.  Nor do I yet have the
latest Parallels to try it on.

Dave

* Re: [9fans] Parallels v 3 and Plan 9, anyone tried yet?
@ 2007-06-08 13:19 ` Gorka Guardiola
From: Gorka Guardiola @ 2007-06-08 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I am using build 3188, not sure if this is version 3, but I guess so.
The network needed a patch, I don't know if this has been
added to sources recently.

--
- curiosity sKilled the cat

* Re: [9fans] Parallels v 3 and Plan 9, anyone tried yet?
@ 2007-06-08 15:01   ` Anant Narayanan
From: Anant Narayanan @ 2007-06-08 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Gorka Guardiola wrote:
> I am using build 3188, not sure if this is version 3, but I guess so.
> The network needed a patch, I don't know if this has been
> added to sources recently.

Build 3188 with the latest Plan 9 sources doesn't need any patches to
work. Version 3 of Parallels is Build 4124, the status of Plan 9 on it
is, as of yet, unknown.

--
Anant

* Re: [9fans] Parallels v 3 and Plan 9, anyone tried yet?
@ 2007-06-08 15:46     ` Latchesar Ionkov
From: Latchesar Ionkov @ 2007-06-08 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Plan9 installation crashes at arbitrary places if acceleration level
is other than disabled (and disabled is very slow).

@ 2007-06-08 16:17       ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2007-06-08 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

further to lucho's comments, he and i just confirmed that a converted
v2 image works fine in v3 (except a crash during reboot which used to
happen with v2 too). i'll try a fresh install now and let you  know
how it goes.

* Re: [9fans] Parallels v 3 and Plan 9, anyone tried yet?
@ 2007-06-08 17:57         ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2007-06-08 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

definitive guide to installing plan9 on parallels v3, compile 4124:

note: if you've done this before you need not bother reading the rest,
just make sure you say "no" when asked whether you want DMA enabled
for your disks. if you say yes then after boot you'll get the
following error message:

atagenioretry: disabling DMA
sdC0: retry: dma 00000 rwm: 0010

and as soon as you get to partdisk an incorrect MBR will be written to
disk, causing the machine to fail rebooting from then on (installation
will not proceed past "partdisk" either).

here are my notes:

set up parallels:

select "new" for a new image, choose "Other" as the OS
select Shared Networking for the network
Memory: i stick with 512
Disk: 1Gig (fixed, i don't know how well the resizable disks work)

for the machine configuration browse and select plan9.iso as the CD Image

installation:

boot the machine, you'll be prompt for the kernel, use sdC1:

sdC1!cdboot!9pcflop.gz

type "no" at the DMA prompt.

hit enter at the mouse/vga/monitor prompts, the defaults work fine,
although the screen is small at 640x480 :)

from then on you should be booted and can proceed with the
installation normally, making sure that you install the MBR and that
you use the Plan9 partition for booting. use the whole disk, there's
no reason not to.

the installation completed in less than 30 minutes with DMA off on a
MacBook Pro.

we still don't know what causes the problems Lucho is seeing with the
installation on a MacBook (not Pro). both parallels and the .iso image
are fresh from today and identical.

cheers: andrey

* Re: [9fans] Parallels v 3 and Plan 9, anyone tried yet?
@ 2007-06-08 18:33           ` Anant Narayanan
From: Anant Narayanan @ 2007-06-08 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

andrey mirtchovski wrote:
> hit enter at the mouse/vga/monitor prompts, the defaults work fine,
> although the screen is small at 640x480 :)

A quick note: you'd probably want to enter ps2intellimouse, vesa and
1024x768x24 here so you won't have to edit plan9.ini later :)

(These values work fine too)

> we still don't know what causes the problems Lucho is seeing with the
> installation on a MacBook (not Pro). both parallels and the .iso image
> are fresh from today and identical.

I just updated to build 4144 and Plan 9 works fine on a Macbook Pro with
VT-x acceleration enabled.

Cheers,
--
Anant

* Re: [9fans] Parallels v 3 and Plan 9, anyone tried yet?
@ 2007-06-08 18:37             ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2007-06-08 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I just updated to build 4144 and Plan 9 works fine on a Macbook Pro with

that's confusing. my copy, downloaded and installed today, says "build
4124 (June 7, 2007)"

* Re: [9fans] Parallels v 3 and Plan 9, anyone tried yet?
@ 2007-06-08 18:46               ` russell
From: russell @ 2007-06-08 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I tried this the other day (on an older parallels and the most recent
plan9 iso), do the issues with network card detection still exist?
There is a 'fix' iso image out there contains kernel patches that
results in an unbuildable kernel tree (complains about missing
pcibussize or something from memory).

r.

@ 2007-06-08 18:52               ` Anant Narayanan
From: Anant Narayanan @ 2007-06-08 18:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

andrey mirtchovski wrote:
>> I just updated to build 4144 and Plan 9 works fine on a Macbook Pro with
>
> that's confusing. my copy, downloaded and installed today, says "build
> 4124 (June 7, 2007)"

My bad. s/4144/4124.

--
Anant

* Re: [9fans] Parallels v 3 and Plan 9, anyone tried yet?
@ 2007-06-08 18:54                 ` Anant Narayanan
From: Anant Narayanan @ 2007-06-08 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

russell wrote:
> I tried this the other day (on an older parallels and the most recent
> plan9 iso), do the issues with network card detection still exist?
> There is a 'fix' iso image out there contains kernel patches that
> results in an unbuildable kernel tree (complains about missing
> pcibussize or something from memory).

The network issue has been fixed in the latest Plan 9 sources on
Parallels build 3xxx upwards. The fix ISO is no longer required.

--
Anant

* Re: [9fans] Parallels v 3 and Plan 9, anyone tried yet?
@ 2007-06-08 19:03       ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-06-08 19:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 6/8/07, Latchesar Ionkov <lionkov@lanl.gov> wrote:
> Plan9 installation crashes at arbitrary places if acceleration level
> is other than disabled (and disabled is very slow).

That doesn't reflect my experience with later builds of Parallels.  I
found I could enable full acceleration and VT-x.

Got a demo of Parallels 3, going to try Plan 9 on it soon.

Dave

--
- Passage Matthew 5:37:
   But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever

* Re: [9fans] Parallels v 3 and Plan 9, anyone tried yet?
@ 2007-06-08 19:04                   ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-06-08 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 6/8/07, Anant Narayanan <anant@kix.in> wrote:
> russell wrote:
> > I tried this the other day (on an older parallels and the most recent
> > plan9 iso), do the issues with network card detection still exist?
> > There is a 'fix' iso image out there contains kernel patches that
> > results in an unbuildable kernel tree (complains about missing
> > pcibussize or something from memory).
>
> The network issue has been fixed in the latest Plan 9 sources on
> Parallels build 3xxx upwards. The fix ISO is no longer required.

That's great, we should update the wiki now :-)

@ 2007-06-08 19:20                     ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-06-08 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 6/8/07, David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 6/8/07, Anant Narayanan <anant@kix.in> wrote:
> > russell wrote:
> > > I tried this the other day (on an older parallels and the most recent
> > > plan9 iso), do the issues with network card detection still exist?
> > > There is a 'fix' iso image out there contains kernel patches that
> > > results in an unbuildable kernel tree (complains about missing
> > > pcibussize or something from memory).
> >
> > The network issue has been fixed in the latest Plan 9 sources on
> > Parallels build 3xxx upwards. The fix ISO is no longer required.
> >

> That's great, we should update the wiki now :-)
>
> Dave

Parallels 3 just crashes a lot when Plan 9 is running with the
plan9.iso I just downloaded 20 minutes ago.

I tried VT-x, high acceleration only, and disabled acceleration.  Had
no luck at all.

@ 2007-06-08 19:23                       ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2007-06-08 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

what hardware? fresh install or a converted disk image?

@ 2007-06-08 19:35                         ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-06-08 19:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 6/8/07, andrey mirtchovski <mirtchovski@gmail.com> wrote:
> what hardware? fresh install or a converted disk image?

New Mac Book Pro (the ones released this week).

Fresh install... haven't tried a converted disk image yet.

--

@ 2007-06-08 19:43                           ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2007-06-08 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

for the record: i've been using a converted image all morning on a
MacBook Pro (one generation old now, 2.1ghz) with no crashes.

for those that have systems that crash, i suggest recording the panic
messages and sending them either to lionkov or to me. we'll get
together with jmk next week and will perhaps have a bit of time and
the hardware to help fix those issues.

* Re: [9fans] Parallels v 3 and Plan 9, anyone tried yet?
@ 2007-06-08 21:11                             ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-06-08 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 6/8/07, andrey mirtchovski <mirtchovski@gmail.com> wrote:
> for the record: i've been using a converted image all morning on a
> MacBook Pro (one generation old now, 2.1ghz) with no crashes.
>
> for those that have systems that crash, i suggest recording the panic
> messages and sending them either to lionkov or to me. we'll get
> together with jmk next week and will perhaps have a bit of time and
> the hardware to help fix those issues.

Note it's not Plan 9 that's crashing, but Parallels.

* Re: [9fans] Parallels v 3 and Plan 9, anyone tried yet?
@ 2007-06-08 21:21                               ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2007-06-08 21:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i got it to freeze by suspending a machine and then trying to stop it
from the suspended state.

turned on the VT-x extensions and now can not reboot it in 9 cases out
of 10. in the one case when i reboot it i have a severely restricted
set of vesa modes to use.

what's interesting is that i need to reboot osx itself for parallels
to _really_ turn vt-x off and allow me to use the video properly.

* Re: [9fans] Parallels v 3 and Plan 9, anyone tried yet?
@ 2007-06-08 21:42                                 ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-06-08 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 6/8/07, andrey mirtchovski <mirtchovski@gmail.com> wrote:
> i got it to freeze by suspending a machine and then trying to stop it
> from the suspended state.
>
> turned on the VT-x extensions and now can not reboot it in 9 cases out
> of 10. in the one case when i reboot it i have a severely restricted
> set of vesa modes to use.
>
> what's interesting is that i need to reboot osx itself for parallels
> to _really_ turn vt-x off and allow me to use the video properly.

That's crappy, must be loading a KEXT or something, wonder if you
could forcibly unload it first rather than reboot.

* Re: [9fans] Parallels v 3 and Plan 9, anyone tried yet?
@ 2007-06-09  0:41                                   ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2007-06-09  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i'm now running a stock kernel on Parallels with VT-x on and with full
graphics. it still takes a few tries and errors to get it booted up
but at least i have all the available screen sizes that vesa should
support.

what i did: changed the OS Type to Linux and the OS Version to Red
Hat. at this point i'm disinclined to blame Plan 9 for this mess.

* Re: [9fans] Parallels v 3 and Plan 9, anyone tried yet?
@ 2007-06-09 12:04                                     ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-06-09 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 6/8/07, andrey mirtchovski <mirtchovski@gmail.com> wrote:
> i'm now running a stock kernel on Parallels with VT-x on and with full
> graphics. it still takes a few tries and errors to get it booted up
> but at least i have all the available screen sizes that vesa should
> support.
>
> what i did: changed the OS Type to Linux and the OS Version to Red
> Hat. at this point i'm disinclined to blame Plan 9 for this mess.

Personally, I've never blamed Plan  9 for Parallels crashing...

In fact I was an early beta tester and Parallels didn't work with Plan
9 at all in early days.  When it was released and working I was very
impressed.

I'll re-download and try again, and add some notes to the wiki
hopefully this week while on vacation.  Somewhat happily, my
connectivity will be limited!!

@ 2007-08-29 13:35                                       ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2007-08-29 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

late follow up. I'm running v 3 build 4560, with converted v 2 image.
seems to work fine, as far as I can judge --
apart from things I notice while typing this, see below (*)

did not (yet) try direct install of plan 9 in v 3.

resolution 1680x1050 is standard supported,
aux/vga -m vesa -p lists no depth 32 at all, only 8, 16 and 24.
this is on a quite recent 20" imac.

audio works per ac97 instructions in wiki
page 'Installing in parallels desktop on Mac OS X'

(*) minor problems:
I'm typing this from a vncv session to unix within the parallels
plan 9 on the mac. it works ok, but the mouse cursor does funny things.

screen shot http://www.cs.utwente.nl/~belinfan/parpic01.png

in the vnc-ed unix session I run rio as wm.
when I move the fat arrow in the vnc window,
while moving it a transparent square box
(or rather: hole, since it is tranparent)
of, dunno, 10x10 pixels appears in the mouse cursor,
moreover, pieces of the mouse cursor get left behind.
combined with the transparancy thing this means I can draw by
moving mouse moving south-east and can erase by moving mouse north-west.

also, probably unrelated to vncv, when I use lens outside the vncv window
I also see the image of the mouse cursor in the lens window. don't
recall seeing that in native plan 9.

turns out I have an 'international english' keyboard
where `/~ key is next to left shift key,
and a plus-minus/paragraph(?) key is at the usual `/~ position.
parallels seems not to know about this keyboard:
when I press the plus-minus/paragraph(?) key I get the `/~.

about the 'Installing in parallels desktop on Mac OS X' page:
I was surprised to see that
applying the suggested 'hget -o file URL' idiom to existing
/sys/src/9/port/devaudio.c overwrites the first part of it
by retreived file, but leaves the last part in place.
turns out 1) ac97 port/devaudio.c is shorter than the original
2) hget -o opens existing file without truncate, on purpose.
I guess in case of an existing (different) file, first get
original out of the way before using: hget -o file URL

Axel.

* Re: [9fans] Parallels v 3 and Plan 9, anyone tried yet?
@ 2007-08-29 13:52                                         ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-08-29 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Yeah when I did manage to get parallels to run plan 9 (v3) it looked like
garbage and I couldn't install it due to graphics mess ups.
I'm now hearing really great things about VMWare Fusion for the Mac... and
I'm considering taking my business there.

@ 2007-08-29 13:56                                           ` Craig-It Turner
From: Craig-It Turner @ 2007-08-29 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Would be great to have a doc about running plan9 under vmware fusion -
I've tried a few images without success.

9fans-bounces+craig-it.turner=db.com@cse.psu.edu wrote on 29/08/2007
14:52:24:
> Yeah when I did manage to get parallels to run plan 9 (v3) it looked
> like garbage and I couldn't install it due to graphics mess ups.
>
> I'm now hearing really great things about VMWare Fusion for the
> Mac... and I'm considering taking my business there.

---

Please refer to http://www.db.com/en/content/eu_disclosures.htm for additional EU corporate and regulatory disclosures.

* Re: [9fans] Parallels v 3 and Plan 9, anyone tried yet?
@ 2007-08-29 13:58                                         ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2007-08-29 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Axel, I've resorted to running a cpu server inside parallels and
connecting to it via the OSX-native drawterm. I need this in order to
get full three-button support on my laptop.

I have not experience the effect that you're seeing under vnc, for me
the graphics have always ran fine (including full screen up to
1920x1200 or somesuch), but I don't often have a 3-button mouse to
plug in, so I stick with drawterm.

I just verified that I also see no 32-bit modes in aux/vga -p's output.

* Re: [9fans] Parallels v 3 and Plan 9, anyone tried yet?
@ 2007-08-29 14:08                                           ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2007-08-29 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Yeah when I did manage to get parallels to run plan 9 (v3) it looked like
> garbage and I couldn't install it due to graphics mess ups.
> I'm now hearing really great things about VMWare Fusion for the Mac... and
> I'm considering taking my business there.

I read on the web about VMWare Fusion for the Mac (and parallels v3)
while already ordered imac and parallels were on their way to me :-/ :-)

to be honest: outside vncv graphics works fine for me (touch wood).

replaying to andrey:
I think I noticed what you mean about lack of three mouse button support.
as soon as I started with drawterm and p9p (before touching parallels)
I connected a 3-button mouse to be able to chord (next to mighty mouse)

Axel.

* Re: [9fans] Parallels v 3 and Plan 9, anyone tried yet?
@ 2007-08-31  8:44                                           ` Axel Belinfante
From: Axel Belinfante @ 2007-08-31  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I just verified that I also see no 32-bit modes in aux/vga -p's output.

switched os type in vm config to 'windows - xp', result:
24 bit modes are gone, 32 bit modes are here.
selected 32 bit mode; no difference regarding lens or vncv.

(wondered whether the parallels shared folder feature might work,
it seems to be only switched on for the 'right' guest os-es;
in the mean time using cifs to access macosx windows shared folders )

* Re: [9fans] Parallels v 3 and Plan 9, anyone tried yet?
@ 2007-08-31 14:09                                             ` David Leimbach
From: David Leimbach @ 2007-08-31 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Seems really silly to me that the guest OS chosen changes the behavior
of their system, though I suspect that's pretty par for the course.