From: David Leimbach <leimy2k@gmail.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] recreational programming of an evening
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 09:09:34 -0700	[thread overview]

It's fun to look back and see what people thought was going to be the
programming model we're being faced with though.  Things seem more NUMA than
ever, or at least heading that way, even on the desktop.

Intel's 48 core demo CPU doodad has a mesh network behind the scenes for
reasons of scalability rather than a huge shared cache blob.

Also shared state is the devil in the details (some might say its just the
invariants really) of highly concurrent applications.

One actually has to wonder if the desktop/workstation is on its last legs
now.  Grandma doesn't want a computer, she wants an iPad with a camera!

Dave