* [9fans] Question About 9p headers...
@ 2003-02-17 10:04 maynard
From: maynard @ 2003-02-17 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Greetings,

[preamble] I'm at the low end of a re-leaning curve of Plan 9 so be
nice :)

I'm currently working on a 9p stub for an embedded controler exporting
a (not yet fully defined) local namespace. The problem (or confusion)
I am having is;
not knowing fully the header files that will be necessary to write the
stub.
Lack of intrinsics knowledge, coupled with a bastardized (not fully
ansi/posix)
compiler is not helping (i.e. enum, pragma, etc. !supported). Other
aspects are covered like tcp/ip stack, loader libs are supplied and
not an issue.  Finding like code examples are a little scarce (as far
as i can tell).  If anyone can
->me to some stub examples, or let me know the headers that would be
required...sigh I'm already greatful :). In case you're wondering, yes
I'm stuck using this compiler since is contains the controller bios,
loader,etc. no time to develop that kinda thing.  I have considered
Limbo/Styx but... /shrug not would prefer to do it using just 9p
proper.  (Plus not sure if it is 9pv4 ready)

Thanks in advace
Maynard

* Re: [9fans] Question About 9p headers...
@ 2003-02-17 10:54 ` Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2003-02-17 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The 9p(2) manual page suggests some nice examples. Although
they're implemented using libraries that make it easier, the
code in the libraries is easy to read too. IMHO, that's a
good place to start.

* Re: [9fans] Question About 9p headers...
@ 2003-02-17 13:42 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-02-17 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

If you are doing something embedded, you may not be
able to fit all the extra checks that lib9p does.
Have a look at /sys/src/cmd/ramfs.c, which is a good
small standalone functioning 9P server.

* Re: [9fans] Question About 9p headers...
@ 2003-02-18  9:33   ` maynard
From: maynard @ 2003-02-18  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

rsc@plan9.bell-labs.com (Russ Cox) wrote in message news:<3e404a93849c1c073f4ece3dc442ec5b@plan9.bell-labs.com>...
> If you are doing something embedded, you may not be
> able to fit all the extra checks that lib9p does.
> Have a look at /sys/src/cmd/ramfs.c, which is a good
> small standalone functioning 9P server.

Thanks much guys been spending all weekend unwinding u9fs and ramfs
:)now as I head to bed I read your replies...haha..well at least i was
on the money.  It's getting kinda dicey tyring to unwind them however
since their (both) written with an underlying OS, but still working on
it. I guess the part I'm brain farting over is the mechanism to
statically build a namespace without. It's not obvious, but you know
what they say..'can't see the tree'.  Thanks again for the direction,
chugging away

Maynard