* [9fans] newbie question #2
@ 2004-07-19 22:10 Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2004-07-19 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

(how many newbie questions do I get?  I hope that doesn't count as one).

I setup a server that serves bootp/tftp/auth/fs/cpu.  I then
setup a diskless client.  Most things seem to be in working
order now.  I notice though that if I "cpu" in to the cpu
server from a terminal as myself, I can acme fine, but if
I "cpu" in as "bootes" (the fs owner), I have no /dev/draw
and I can't run acme (or other gui apps).  Why is that?
Shouldn't my /dev/draw from my terminal be preserved in
the namespace of the new shell on the server?  Am I doing
something wrong?  If not, is there a workaround?

(yes, I am aware of "ed", and am comfortable using it when
I have to.  I am more interested in knowing what is going
on here than in getting acme running).

Tim N.

* Re: [9fans] newbie question #2
@ 2004-07-19 22:21 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-07-19 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> (how many newbie questions do I get?  I hope that doesn't count as one).
>
> I setup a server that serves bootp/tftp/auth/fs/cpu.  I then
> setup a diskless client.  Most things seem to be in working
> order now.  I notice though that if I "cpu" in to the cpu
> server from a terminal as myself, I can acme fine, but if
> I "cpu" in as "bootes" (the fs owner), I have no /dev/draw
> and I can't run acme (or other gui apps).  Why is that?
> Shouldn't my /dev/draw from my terminal be preserved in
> the namespace of the new shell on the server?  Am I doing
> something wrong?  If not, is there a workaround?

most likely you haven't created a profile for bootes in
/usr/bootes/lib/profile..  when you cpu as yourself your profile
detects that and binds /mnt/term/dev over /dev so you end up using the
draw device of your terminal.

do a 'bind -a /mnt/term/dev /dev' after you've cpu-ed as bootes and
the message will disappear.  note, however, that you still won't be
able to use any graphics for the simple reason that bootes isn't
allowed to write to /dev/draw :)

andrey

* Re: [9fans] newbie question #2
@ 2004-07-19 23:05   ` rog
From: rog @ 2004-07-19 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> do a 'bind -a /mnt/term/dev /dev' after you've cpu-ed as bootes and
> the message will disappear.  note, however, that you still won't be
> able to use any graphics for the simple reason that bootes isn't
> allowed to write to /dev/draw :)

actually, i'm fairly sure you should be able to do this, as the
terminal has no idea of the identity of the person at the cpu end of
the connection - it just sees the id that exportfs is running as.

for example, try:

	echo foo > /mnt/term/tmp/bar

and you should find that the new file is owned by the terminal owner,
not by the id you've cpu'd as.

to get that kind of behaviour you'd have to reattach; that's the point
of $home/lib/namespace.

  cheers,
    rog.

* Re: [9fans] newbie question #2
@ 2004-07-19 23:08     ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2004-07-19 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> actually, i'm fairly sure you should be able to do this, as the
> terminal has no idea of the identity of the person at the cpu end of
> the connection - it just sees the id that exportfs is running as.

of course you're right -- i tried it with acme and assumed it'll never
work when it didn't the first time (not sure why, maybe because i'm
drawtermed?). it works with other graphics programs though.

* [9fans] gmake in ape
@ 2004-07-21  1:21       ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2004-07-21  1:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Someone expressed a desire to have gmake in plan9, so here
it is:

   http://lava.net/~newsham/x/gmake-p9.tgz

The only changes required (besides configuring it and getting
the shell script working) were:

   - not using bitfields for configuration data structures.
     The compiler doesnt allow static assignment of bitfields.
   - making the code ignore getloadavg.  Someone could write
     a getloadavg function, but I didnt.

Tim N.