* [9fans] IBM Research Internship Position Available
@ 2010-09-23 13:36 Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2010-09-23 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs, inferno-list

6 month posting for graduate students only to work on the DOE HARE
project (http://is.gd/foRdS)
This is the third and last year of funding, so don't miss out on a
great opportunity to work on Plan 9
on one of the largest supercomputers on the planet.

Job posting is here: http://is.gd/foQOS

          -eric

* Re: [9fans] IBM Research Internship Position Available
@ 2010-09-23 13:45 ` Mathieu Lonjaret
From: Mathieu Lonjaret @ 2010-09-23 13:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

when would the job start?

mathieu

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4725 bytes --]

From: Eric Van Hensbergen <ericvh@gmail.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>, inferno-list@vitanuova.com
Subject: [9fans] IBM Research Internship Position Available
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 08:36:54 -0500

@ 2010-09-23 14:28   ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2010-09-23 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 8:45 AM, Mathieu Lonjaret
<mathieu.lonjaret@gmail.com> wrote:

> when would the job start?

Somewhat negotiable, but the preference is for a 6 month internship
starting no later than Feb 15, 2011.  The realities of IBM bureaucracy
mean there is likely a 1-2 month processing time from when I make a
decision to when you would actually start so that puts the earliest
start date in December.

@ 2010-09-30 19:56 ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2010-09-30 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs, inferno-list

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 8:36 AM, Eric Van Hensbergen <ericvh@gmail.com> wrote:
> 6 month posting for graduate students only to work on the DOE HARE
> project (http://is.gd/foRdS)
> This is the third and last year of funding, so don't miss out on a
> great opportunity to work on Plan 9
> on one of the largest supercomputers on the planet.
>
> Job posting is here: http://is.gd/foQOS

Quick follow up note.  I'm going to start calling folks for interview
in a couple weeks so please submit your application prior to October
15th.

Also, IBM's HR system has an aggressive filter which prevents us from
seeing what it rejects, so please make sure you answer any of its
questions with the stated requirements in mind.  As long as you are a
graduate student, I will consider you, so if you have to bend the
truth about years of experience to get past the filter I'm not gonna
be upset.  As a safety measure, please email me a copy of your CV
after you have applied through the official system so I make sure no
one drops through the cracks.

To answer another question publically: when would this start and how
long will the position before?
This is somewhat negotiable within a few restrictions: IBM hiring
process is somewhat heavy weight, even for interns, so no sooner than
two months after I make the decision is a good bet which basically
means January or February of next year.  I don't think I can accept
anyone after March due to the funding window closing in August.  The
term of the internship would be through August.

@ 2010-10-01  2:33   ` Anssi Porttikivi
From: Anssi Porttikivi @ 2010-10-01  2:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Plan 9 pages are down :-(

* [9fans] Bell Labs Plan 9 pages are down
@ 2010-10-01  2:37     ` Anssi Porttikivi
From: Anssi Porttikivi @ 2010-10-01  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anssi Porttikivi; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Sorry the subject line was copied unnecessarily. Just wanted to point that Bell Labs Plan 9 pages are down.

* Re: [9fans] Bell Labs Plan 9 pages are down
@ 2010-10-01  4:29       ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2010-10-01  4:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Our main file server, after 215 days of up time, started getting
processes stuck in Fauth state and it spread to our cpu servers.
Restarting our authentication server and the main cpu servers
didn't fix it, so I took down the whole complex, turned the machines
off for a few minutes and restarted them all.

Things should be back to normal now.

* Re: [9fans] IBM Research Internship Position Available
@ 2010-10-01 13:30     ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2010-10-01 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 9:33 PM, Anssi Porttikivi <porttikivi@gmail.com> wrote:
> Plan 9 pages are down :-(

It is no longer necessary to send these messages to the list.  I setup
pingdom several months ago to automatically monitor
plan9.bell-labs.com and it sends email to folks there when things go
south.  If you are curious whether its just your connection or if
something is really wrong, you can always check: http://goo.gl/CIxn

If you are interested in seeing notifications of when it goes up/down,
you can subscribe to: http://http://groups.google.com/group/9nag

         -eric