* [9fans] plan9 for vampires
@ 2000-06-29 12:28 presotto
From: presotto @ 2000-06-29 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: quinn, 9fans

> Also, plan9 won't run during the day.  If I run it when it is still light
> outside, I quickly get random suicides, with strange results, including
> filesystem corruption, and the occaisional kernel panic.  When I run it after
> hours all is fine.  I'm adjusting my sleep schedule accordingly.
Since none of the Plan 9 developers can safely go out in daylight,
we've never observed this behavior.  However, your guess about
heat is probably right.  We clearly stick critical stuff in
different parts of memory than Linux does.  Linux may be lucking out
or perhaps, with more code, more of it can be corrupted
without an effect.

You might try running with the skins off, or perhaps just
reseating the memory boards and see if it makes a difference.

Or maybe you should try setting the clock ahead 12 hours and see
if Plan 9 just doesn't like running in day hours.
> And... I'm getting corruption on certain files coming off of dos partitions.
> For example, the wrap.tgz update worked fine, but the 06070617.9gz doesn't
> come over as a valid gzip (works fine from linux, though).  Someone else on
> the list mentioned something that sounded similar.
Try doing an md5sum of 06070617.9gz.  We see it as:
	% md5sum 06070617.9gz
	66a22bba5cce05d1e93cb43e81749c86        06070617.9gz

* Re: [9fans] plan9 for vampires
@ 2000-06-29 16:38 ` Berry Kercheval
From: Berry Kercheval @ 2000-06-29 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

At 08:28 AM 06/29/2000 -0400, presotto@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:

>Since none of the Plan 9 developers can safely go out in daylight,
>we've never observed this behavior.

That's funny; I distinctly remember the Tromso distributed computing
conference a while ago, and you and Rob were both there.  The sun didn't
set AT ALL.

I will admit I've never seen a sunblock with SPF in exponential notation,
though.  Where did you find it?

   --berry
--
Berry Kercheval :: Ajuba Solutions :: http://www.ajubasolutions.com