* [9fans] Support for SATA hard drives.
@ 2004-06-20  4:50 Vester Thacker
From: Vester Thacker @ 2004-06-20  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Does anyone have a SATA hard drive working under Plan 9? I'm looking
forward to using a 250GB or larger SATA hard drive in a venti server.
I figure someone must have given this idea some thought, but I haven't
heard it discussed anywhere.

--Vester Thacker

* Re: [9fans] Support for SATA hard drives.
@ 2004-06-20  6:12 ` jmk
From: jmk @ 2004-06-20  6:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun Jun 20 00:46:50 EDT 2004, vthacker@0xfe.org wrote:
> Does anyone have a SATA hard drive working under Plan 9? I'm looking
> forward to using a 250GB or larger SATA hard drive in a venti server.
> I figure someone must have given this idea some thought, but I haven't
> heard it discussed anywhere.
>
> --Vester Thacker

The controllers look to all intents and purposes just like regular ATA
controllers (unless you want to initialise them from scratch), so there's
not much to do other than make sure the controller is recognised by the
driver. There's one there alraeady:

devi% grep SATA /sys/src/9/pc/sdata.c
		case (0x3149<<16)|0x1106:	/* VIA VT8237 SATA/RAID */
devi%

and it has on it

devi# cat /dev/sdC0/ctl
inquiry ST380013AS
config 0C5A capabilities 2F00 dma 00550040 dmactl 00550040 rwm 16 rwmctl 0 lba48always off
geometry 156301488 512 16383 16 63
part data 0 156301488
devi#

* Re: [9fans] Support for SATA hard drives.
@ 2004-06-20  7:56   ` Vester Thacker
From: Vester Thacker @ 2004-06-20  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 02:12:59AM -0400, jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:

> The controllers look to all intents and purposes just like regular ATA
> controllers (unless you want to initialise them from scratch), so there's
> not much to do other than make sure the controller is recognised by the
> driver. There's one there alraeady:
>
> devi% grep SATA /sys/src/9/pc/sdata.c
> 		case (0x3149<<16)|0x1106:	/* VIA VT8237 SATA/RAID */
> devi%
>
> and it has on it
>
> devi# cat /dev/sdC0/ctl
> inquiry ST380013AS
> config 0C5A capabilities 2F00 dma 00550040 dmactl 00550040 rwm 16 rwmctl 0 lba48always off
> geometry 156301488 512 16383 16 63
> part data 0 156301488
> devi#

Thanks, Jim. I'm glad to see that the VT8237 is supported.

--Vester

* Re: [9fans] Support for SATA hard drives.
@ 2004-06-20  9:56   ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2004-06-20  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

yep.  SATA works fine (for me anyway).