* [9fans] Réf. : Re: [9fans] Re 2 button mouse + Inferno
@ 2000-09-26 10:08 boyd.roberts
From: boyd.roberts @ 2000-09-26 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: 9fans

cursor keys should be banned.  they are a curse 'cos they send
multibyte sequences.  try telling some user why their beloved
cursed (sic) keys work locally but not over, say, a tcp connection.

anyway i don't want to type.  i want to mouse.  pity that most mouse
driven interfaces suck.  plan 9, of course, being an exception.

i like the keypad for IP addresses, particulary if you have an
azerty keyboard (like i do); the numbers are in the right place
but you have to hit shift to get em:

  ² & é " ' ( - è _ ç à ) =
    1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 ° +   shifted
      ~ # { [ | ` \ ^ @ ] }   alt-graphic

and yes this layout is a bugger to write code on; none of the special
chars are grouped sensibly (eg. the various forms of brackets).

 (Embedded
 image moved   Jason Ozolins <jason.ozolins@anu.edu.au>
 to file:      26/09/2000 11:14
 pic26444.pcx)

Veuillez répondre à 9fans@cse.psu.edu

Pour: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
cc:    (ccc: Boyd ROBERTS/EST/DOSI/BANQUE_INDOSUEZ/FR)
Objet:    Re: [9fans] Re 2 button mouse + Inferno

Umm, I can understand ditching the numeric keypad if one is not a bean
counter, but why lose the cursor keys?  They work pretty well in editors
under other GUI environments. I was pretty surprised to find that
Inferno's Acme didn't support them - doesn't P9's Acme support them
either?

[-- Attachment #3: pic26444.pcx --]

* [9fans] Réf. : Re: [9fans] Re 2 button mouse + Inferno
@ 2000-09-25 13:32 boyd.roberts
From: boyd.roberts @ 2000-09-25 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans