* [9fans] EPIA CPU node success
@ 2003-11-06  3:15 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-11-06  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

OK, it's a hack, don't ask how I did it, but EPIA is coming up as a CPU
node with nvram in CMOS (for now). Linuxbios on the EPIA, 9pccpu in the CF
slot.

takes 10-11 seconds to boot to a useful state (rc prompt) from ^T^Tr. It's
amazing how nice it is to debug when the cycle is that short. This is way
faster boot time than the geode cluster I had at usenix. And, I can speed
it up a bit!

Also,
echo reboot 9pccpu > /dev/reboot
is only 6 seconds. Also wonderful.

So, this shows to me that you can have a 9pccpu in the EPIA in Compact
Flash, and that 9pccpu makes a useful bootstrap, and even nicer, is faster
than 9load to do the job.

I have one thing I'd like to do, subject to someone telling me it's a bad
idea. I'm thinking of writing a small C program that does the equivalent
set of steps as the 'disk/fdisk -p blah blah ; disk/prep -p blah blah'
that are currently done in scripts. This would make it so I could move
nvram to the CF instead of CMOS. Comments?

ron

* Re: [9fans] EPIA CPU node success
@ 2003-11-06  5:24 Scott Schwartz
From: Scott Schwartz @ 2003-11-06  5:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> 9load does this for you.  just copy the relevant code out of 9load
> (look for "partition") and drop it into /sys/src/9/boot or something.

Or even, factor it out, put the code in a library, and have one copy
for everyone to share.