* [9fans] XP  boot
@ 2005-02-01 23:59 boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2005-02-01 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

rather than do some something irresponsible, i was wondering
if anyone knew the XP tweaking to do to get XP to have a
boot menu so i couid could boot XP or p9 off IDE.

i did an ISO text only install.

for extra points i have a 1280x800x32 ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9200 wxga card.

thanks.
--
MGRS 31U DQ 52572 12604

* Re: [9fans] XP boot
@ 2005-02-02  0:12 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-02-02  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

see /bin/pc/bootwinnt.  it works for xp.

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 00:59:50 +0100, boyd, rounin <boyd@insultant.net> wrote:
> rather than do some something irresponsible, i was wondering
> if anyone knew the XP tweaking to do to get XP to have a
> boot menu so i couid could boot XP or p9 off IDE.
>
> i did an ISO text only install.
>
> for extra points i have a 1280x800x32 ATI MOBILITY RADEON 9200 wxga card.
>
> thanks.
> --
> MGRS 31U DQ 52572 12604

* Re: [9fans] XP boot
@ 2005-02-02  1:11   ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2005-02-02  1:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

    see /bin/pc/bootwinnt.  it works for xp.

i see i have a /dev/sdC0/ntfs and there's this horrible XP
thing called bootcfg to tweak it.

/bin/pc/bootwinnt looks for /dev/sdC0/dos

'doze is such a wretched system.
--
MGRS 31U DQ 52572 12604

* Re: [9fans] XP boot
@ 2005-02-02  1:20     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-02-02  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

i think that if you edit the boot.ini file manually
while you are running xp (just add the lines that
pc/bootwinnt is trying to add) then it should work.

what i don't remember is whether the nt boot loader
can actually read boot.ini files on ntfs partitions.
i hope so.

russ

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 02:11:11 +0100, boyd, rounin <boyd@insultant.net> wrote:
>     see /bin/pc/bootwinnt.  it works for xp.
>
> i see i have a /dev/sdC0/ntfs and there's this horrible XP
> thing called bootcfg to tweak it.
>
> /bin/pc/bootwinnt looks for /dev/sdC0/dos
>
> 'doze is such a wretched system.
> --
> MGRS 31U DQ 52572 12604

* Re: [9fans] XP boot
@ 2005-02-02  4:42       ` Joel Salomon
From: Joel Salomon @ 2005-02-02  4:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 20:20:50 -0500, Russ Cox <russcox@gmail.com> wrote:
> i think that if you edit the boot.ini file manually
> while you are running xp (just add the lines that
> pc/bootwinnt is trying to add) then it should work.

Trying to edit boot.ini can be a pain, though.

Right-click on a "My Computer" icon, select "Properties" from the
drop-down menu. Click the "Advanced" tab, then the "Settings" button
in the "Startup and Recovery" section. Click "Edit" to edit boot.ini.

Any other method fails—boot.ini is protected by more than the NTFS
file protection scheme, and I don't believe there's another way around
it.

--Joel

* Re: [9fans] XP boot
@ 2005-02-02  5:05         ` Federico Benavento
From: Federico Benavento @ 2005-02-02  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Salomon, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Any other method fails—boot.ini is protected by more than the NTFS
> file protection scheme, and I don't believe there's another way around
> it.
What about "edit c:\boot.ini" at the cmd prompt?

--
Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] XP boot
@ 2005-02-02 17:16         ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2005-02-02 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joel Salomon, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

    Any other method fails—boot.ini is protected by more than the NTFS
    file protection scheme, and I don't believe there's another way around it.

yes, it is a very strange file.  i got some private mail from russ and after
finding boot.ini it was read only.  turn that off and write it with notepad.
[seemingly] randomly it would turn on read only.

there is this command line thing called 'bootcfg' which is absolutely
undecipherable, although i now understand something about the format
of the file by tinkering.

boot.ini essentially points at a 'boot block'.  i'm a bit wary about [potentially]
smashing a currently bootable system.

this will take some thought.
--
MGRS 31U DQ 52572 12604

* Re: [9fans] XP boot
@ 2005-02-02 19:14           ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-02-02 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

it's much easier just to install smart boot manager
and avoid the nt boot loader.
hget http://pdos.lcs.mit.edu/~rsc/mbr.bootmgr
disk/mbr -m mbr.bootmgr /dev/sdC0/data

russ

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 18:16:43 +0100, boyd, rounin <boyd@insultant.net> wrote:
>     Any other method fails—boot.ini is protected by more than the NTFS
>     file protection scheme, and I don't believe there's another way around it.
>
> yes, it is a very strange file.  i got some private mail from russ and after
> finding boot.ini it was read only.  turn that off and write it with notepad.
> [seemingly] randomly it would turn on read only.
>
> there is this command line thing called 'bootcfg' which is absolutely
> undecipherable, although i now understand something about the format
> of the file by tinkering.
>
> boot.ini essentially points at a 'boot block'.  i'm a bit wary about [potentially]
> smashing a currently bootable system.
>
> this will take some thought.
> --
> MGRS 31U DQ 52572 12604

* Re: [9fans] XP boot
@ 2005-02-02 23:37           ` Adrian Tritschler
From: Adrian Tritschler @ 2005-02-02 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

boyd, rounin wrote:
>    Any other method fails—boot.ini is protected by more than the NTFS
>    file protection scheme, and I don't believe there's another way
> around it.
>
> yes, it is a very strange file.  i got some private mail from russ and
> after
> finding boot.ini it was read only.  turn that off and write it with
> notepad.
> [seemingly] randomly it would turn on read only.
>
> there is this command line thing called 'bootcfg' which is absolutely
> undecipherable, although i now understand something about the format
> of the file by tinkering.
>
> boot.ini essentially points at a 'boot block'.  i'm a bit wary about
> [potentially]
> smashing a currently bootable system.
>
> this will take some thought.

The following (linux-centric) doc may help.
http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/pdf/Linux+NT-Loader.pdf

OTOH, I use one of the simple boot managers, such as BOOTMGR mentioned
by Russ.

Adrian Tritschler                          mailto:ajft@ajft.org
Latitude 38°S, Longitude 145°E, Altitude 50m,      Shoe size 44

* Fwd: [9fans] XP boot
@ 2005-06-02  2:11             ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-06-02  2:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

hey look!  history repeats itself.

it's much easier just to install smart boot manager
and avoid the nt boot loader.
hget http://pdos.lcs.mit.edu/~rsc/mbr.bootmgr
disk/mbr -m mbr.bootmgr /dev/sdC0/data

russ

On Wed, 2 Feb 2005 18:16:43 +0100, boyd, rounin <boyd@insultant.net> wrote:
>     Any other method fails—boot.ini is protected by more than the NTFS
>     file protection scheme, and I don't believe there's another way around it.
>
> yes, it is a very strange file.  i got some private mail from russ and after
> finding boot.ini it was read only.  turn that off and write it with notepad.
> [seemingly] randomly it would turn on read only.
>
> there is this command line thing called 'bootcfg' which is absolutely
> undecipherable, although i now understand something about the format
> of the file by tinkering.
>
> boot.ini essentially points at a 'boot block'.  i'm a bit wary about [potentially]
> smashing a currently bootable system.
>
> this will take some thought.
> --
> MGRS 31U DQ 52572 12604

* Re: [9fans] XP boot
@ 2005-06-02  2:17               ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2005-06-02  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> hey look!  history repeats itself.

tell me something i don't know.

smashing machines is not part of my plan.

the install scripts make more sense.

btw:  attrib -s - h c:\boot.ini
--
MGRS 31U DQ 52572 12604

* Re: [9fans] XP boot
@ 2005-06-04  7:42                 ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2005-06-04  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

funny but a bit too late, very late.  when in doubt "read the code".
then you won't make comments about things you don't read.
and caching opens is ridiculous.

brucee (in paris)

On 6/2/05, boyd, rounin <boyd@insultant.net> wrote:
> > hey look!  history repeats itself.
>
> tell me something i don't know.
>
> smashing machines is not part of my plan.
>
> the install scripts make more sense.
>
> btw:  attrib -s - h c:\boot.ini
> --
> MGRS 31U DQ 52572 12604

* Re: [9fans] XP boot
@ 2005-02-03 23:28                 ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2005-02-03 23:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>> lesson 1: go near XP you don't get to run plan 9 (unless you use external
>> boot media).
>
> this is just not true.  you can use smart boot manager,
> as has been mentioned already in this thread, and
> everything just works.

russ, i'm just not 'feeling lucky'.  customer 'service' in .fr is a bit of an oxymoron.
--
MGRS 31U DQ 52572 12604

* Re: [9fans] XP boot
@ 2005-02-03 23:21               ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-02-03 23:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> lesson 1: go near XP you don't get to run plan 9 (unless you use external
> boot media).

this is just not true.  you can use smart boot manager,
as has been mentioned already in this thread, and
everything just works.  you get a nice little menu at
boot time, and neither plan 9 nor windows xp has
to get involved.

i've used 2000/xp and plan 9 together without external boot
media for four years.

russ

* Re: [9fans] XP boot
@ 2005-02-03 22:25             ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2005-02-03 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Once XP owns your machine it does not want to see squatters in its
> midst. Ended up sending the machine back to HP.

yes, this was my conclusion.  i've seen these bastards break interfaces
etc to ensure that their shit is the only thing that runs on it.

lesson 1: go near XP you don't get to run plan 9 (unless you use external
boot media).

lesson 2: fewer and fewer machines have floppies.
--
MGRS 31U DQ 52572 12604

* Re: [9fans] XP boot
@ 2005-02-03 14:55           ` Wes Kussmaul
From: Wes Kussmaul @ 2005-02-03 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Andrew Simmons wrote:

> This may or may not help:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330184
>
> You're entering a world of pain son, a world of pain.

I tried to make this XP laptop into a multi-boot machine following those
instructions (after having tried the usual *BSD methods). It didn't
work. Once XP owns your machine it does not want to see squatters in its

@ 2005-02-03  0:03           ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2005-02-03  0:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> You're entering a world of pain son, a world of pain.

locks and loads M1911 ...

* Re: [9fans] XP boot
@ 2005-02-02 23:59         ` Andrew Simmons
From: Andrew Simmons @ 2005-02-02 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2005-02-02 23:19       ` boyd, rounin
From: boyd, rounin @ 2005-02-02 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

    Well, I checked the 9fans archives, since I recall getting help on
    this problem some time ago, and voilà!

well yeah, until you get this [translation for the tiny amount of french]:

    <window's root>\system32\hall.dll

would appear to be missing.

it would seem they [u$loth] have gone out of their way to make it impossible.
--
MGRS 31U DQ 52572 12604

* [9fans] XP boot
@ 2005-02-02 22:28     ` Joel Salomon