* [9fans] Editing the wiki
@ 2014-03-06 12:46 Peter Hull
From: Peter Hull @ 2014-03-06 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

 I mentioned this in a previous post but I will repeat here as it was
buried in a load of other stuff.
I tried to edit the sandbox in the wiki and wasn't able to. I ran

    acme /acme/wiki/guide

and executed the commands in that file. I was then able to navigate
the wiki in acme (and confirmed it was the 'live' wiki and not the
local copy in /sys/lib/wiki.
I edited the sandbox page and executed the Put command. I got the error

    Wiki commit 1028330739 12 -1: '/sys/lib/wiki/d/2.hist' permission denied.

I don't understand why wiki is looking in that directory.

If I instead run 'Local wikifs /sys/lib/wiki' then I get access to the
local copy and can edit it freely. In that case my changes are indeed
in /sys/lib/wiki/d/2.hist as I would expect.

Thanks,
Pete

* Re: [9fans] Editing the wiki
@ 2014-03-06 13:29 ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2014-03-06 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I edited the sandbox page and executed the Put command. I got the error
>
>     Wiki commit 1028330739 12 -1: '/sys/lib/wiki/d/2.hist' permission denied.
>
> I don't understand why wiki is looking in that directory.

Just guessing, but I think that path is on sources and it may be
expected that you can't update the file.

++L

* Re: [9fans] Editing the wiki
@ 2014-03-06 13:42   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-03-06 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Thu Mar  6 08:28:19 EST 2014, lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:
> > I edited the sandbox page and executed the Put command. I got the error
> >
> >     Wiki commit 1028330739 12 -1: '/sys/lib/wiki/d/2.hist' permission denied.
> >
> > I don't understand why wiki is looking in that directory.
>
> Just guessing, but I think that path is on sources and it may be
> expected that you can't update the file.

it's not necessary to guess.  :-)

it's working for me from plan 9.  i just edited
	/mnt/wiki/plan_9_wiki_wish_list/

to the OP, did you B2 the line
	Local srv net!plan9.bell-labs.com!wiki wiki /mnt/wiki
that seems like the most likely issue.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Editing the wiki
@ 2014-03-06 14:39     ` Peter Hull
From: Peter Hull @ 2014-03-06 14:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 1:42 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> it's working for me from plan 9.  i just edited
>         /mnt/wiki/plan_9_wiki_wish_list/
OK. I was able to edit the same page (I turned your text into a hyperlink!)

> to the OP, did you B2 the line
>         Local srv net!plan9.bell-labs.com!wiki wiki /mnt/wiki
> that seems like the most likely issue.
The actual line was 'Local 9fs wiki' which in /bin/9fs evaluates to
'srv -m net!plan9.bell-labs.com!wiki' wiki /mnt/wiki'

So it seems (ironically) I can edit any page apart from the sandbox
and the error message is just misleading (i.e. the reference to
/sys/lib/wiki/... is not my file system but the one on the bell labs
server) Anyway, that is my guess; like Lucio I am not ready to give up
on guessing just yet ;)

Pete

* Re: [9fans] Editing the wiki
@ 2014-03-06 15:40       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-03-06 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> So it seems (ironically) I can edit any page apart from the sandbox
> and the error message is just misleading (i.e. the reference to
> /sys/lib/wiki/... is not my file system but the one on the bell labs
> server) Anyway, that is my guess; like Lucio I am not ready to give up
> on guessing just yet ;)

this might be misleading from a unix perspective, but
plan 9 is a distributed system.  if you're importing
a fs, expect errors from itto be relative to the remote.

- erik