* [9fans] Rio in a window
@ 2005-08-22 21:07 Paul Lalonde
From: Paul Lalonde @ 2005-08-22 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I run plan9 ports on my Mac, using Apple's X11 (XFree 4.4.0
derived), but want to run rio as my window manager. That's easy
enough, but usually I want to run with my mac desktop showing too,
which means running X rootless, which leaves me without the desktop
background to pull menus up with, especially a "hide" to push my full-
screen acme back so I can see my other windows.  I can use the X11
pulldowns to switch to full-screen, but I'm certain there is a more
elegant solution.
In particular, I'd love to be able to run rio within a window and
have that window behave like an X11 screen?  Or a non-(X11)-window
manager version of rio?  Is there some application that will let me
do this?
Thanks,
     Paul

* Re: [9fans] Rio in a window
@ 2005-08-22 21:44 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-08-22 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I run plan9 ports on my Mac, using Apple's X11 (XFree 4.4.0
> derived), but want to run rio as my window manager. That's easy
> enough, but usually I want to run with my mac desktop showing too,
> which means running X rootless, which leaves me without the desktop
> background to pull menus up with, especially a "hide" to push my full-
> screen acme back so I can see my other windows.  I can use the X11
> pulldowns to switch to full-screen, but I'm certain there is a more
> elegant solution.

I'm not really sure there is an elegant solution, but if you leave
a 9term window showing and you right click on that window,
the button event should make it to rio.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Rio in a window
@ 2005-08-30  2:27   ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2005-08-30  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/22/05, Russ Cox <russcox@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I run plan9 ports on my Mac, using Apple's X11 (XFree 4.4.0
> > derived), but want to run rio as my window manager. That's easy
> > enough, but usually I want to run with my mac desktop showing too,
> > which means running X rootless, which leaves me without the desktop

How about rio as the window manager using Xnest?  That way you can
have a full rio desktop floating in with your OSX apps.

-Jack

* Re: [9fans] Rio in a window
@ 2005-08-30  2:28     ` Jack Johnson
From: Jack Johnson @ 2005-08-30  2:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/29/05, Jack Johnson <knapjack@gmail.com> wrote:
> How about rio as the window manager using Xnest?

Something like this:
http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20040131222238684

* Re: [9fans] Rio in a window
@ 2005-08-30  2:30       ` Paul Lalonde