* [9fans] Possibility of a lift to Boyd's wake ...
@ 2005-07-14 23:27 Dave Lukes
From: Dave Lukes @ 2005-07-14 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

A couple of people (not me: I'd already booked my ticket) may be
driving over on Saturday
(assuming it's on Saturday) and there may be a spare seat or 2.

If anyone's interested, contact me and I'll put everyone in touch.

DaveL

* Re: [9fans] Possibility of a lift to Boyd's wake ...
@ 2005-07-15  4:12 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2005-07-15  4:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i'm really sorry for losing boyd.  i hope it wasn't premature (though
those things are always premature).  if i could catch a lift from
canada...

the way i'll remember him is the way another 9fan described him to me
after my countless attempts to understand him -- "battle scarred" they
said.  that put everything in perspective and made it clear.

sad loss...

* Re: [9fans] Possibility of a lift to Boyd's wake ...
@ 2005-07-15 15:32   ` Devon H. O'Dell
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2005-07-15 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

andrey mirtchovski wrote:
> i'm really sorry for losing boyd.  i hope it wasn't premature (though
> those things are always premature).  if i could catch a lift from
> canada...
>
> the way i'll remember him is the way another 9fan described him to me
> after my countless attempts to understand him -- "battle scarred" they
> said.  that put everything in perspective and made it clear.
>
> sad loss...

Too bad I'm not in Holland anymore; I'd muster up some cash and I'd _so_
be there. It's a bit too expensive and far from San Jose, California
(where I am now).

Though if I had the money, there'd be no price too much to be there.
I'll be there in mind and spirit. If someone who goes would relay a
goodbye from me, it'd be quite kind :'(

--D

* Re: [9fans] Possibility of a lift to Boyd's wake ...
@ 2005-07-15 18:29     ` Dave Lukes
                         ` (4 more replies)
From: Dave Lukes @ 2005-07-15 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Devon/Andrey/Steve/Anyone else,
With your permission, I'll put together a list of "absent friends" to
be read out out at the wake.

So far, from 9fans, I've got:

Steve Simon
Devon O'Dell
Andrey Mirtchovski

Anyone else who wishes to be included, please email me.

Dave.

On 15 Jul 2005, at 16:32, Devon H. O'Dell wrote:

> andrey mirtchovski wrote:
>> i'm really sorry for losing boyd.  i hope it wasn't premature (though
>> those things are always premature).  if i could catch a lift from
>> canada...
>> the way i'll remember him is the way another 9fan described him to me
>> after my countless attempts to understand him -- "battle scarred" they
>> said.  that put everything in perspective and made it clear.
>> sad loss...
>
> Too bad I'm not in Holland anymore; I'd muster up some cash and I'd
> _so_ be there. It's a bit too expensive and far from San Jose,
> California (where I am now).
>
> Though if I had the money, there'd be no price too much to be there.
> I'll be there in mind and spirit. If someone who goes would relay a
> goodbye from me, it'd be quite kind :'(
>
> --D

* Re: [9fans] Possibility of a lift to Boyd's wake ...
@ 2005-07-15 18:36       ` Devon H. O'Dell
                         ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Devon H. O'Dell @ 2005-07-15 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Dave Lukes wrote:
> Devon/Andrey/Steve/Anyone else,
> With your permission, I'll put together a list of "absent friends" to be

Thank you very, very much.
-d

* Re: [9fans] Possibility of a lift to Boyd's wake ...
@ 2005-07-15 18:36       ` Dan Cross
                         ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Dan Cross @ 2005-07-15 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Jul 15, 2005 at 07:29:31PM +0100, Dave Lukes wrote:
> Devon/Andrey/Steve/Anyone else,
> With your permission, I'll put together a list of "absent friends" to
> be read out out at the wake.
>
> So far, from 9fans, I've got:
>
> Steve Simon
> Devon O'Dell
> Andrey Mirtchovski
>
> Anyone else who wishes to be included, please email me.

Please add my name to that list.

Though I have to say....  I think Boyd would be, while undoubtedly
somewhat flattered by the attention, also somewhat taken aback by all
this sadness.  I could imagine him saying something along the lines of,
``Bollocks; drink some red and go shoot something instead of sitting
around crying about it.''

Dave, you knew him better than I did; what do you think his reaction
would be?

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] Possibility of a lift to Boyd's wake ...
@ 2005-07-15 19:45         ` Dave Lukes
From: Dave Lukes @ 2005-07-15 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Though I have to say....  I think Boyd would be, while undoubtedly
> somewhat flattered by the attention, also somewhat taken aback by all
> this sadness.

I agree: the sadness is for us: the large quantities of (il)legal
psychoactives we will consume will be for Boyd:-).

>   I could imagine him saying something along the lines of,
> ``Bollocks; drink some red and go shoot something instead of sitting
> around crying about it.''

  ... " and get that plan9 USB floppy boot working".

> Dave, you knew him better than I did; what do you think his reaction
> would be?

You're right, Dan.
I suspect he would have described the whole concept as "fucked to
buggery"
and called bullshit on it, but would nonetheless have been flattered.

@ 2005-07-15 20:07       ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2005-07-15 20:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> So far, from 9fans, I've got:
>
> Steve Simon
> Devon O'Dell
> Andrey Mirtchovski

Please add me to the list, I have nothing to add to what has already
been said, better than I could say it, except that I will also miss
Boyd greatly.

++L

* Re: [9fans] Possibility of a lift to Boyd's wake ...
                         ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-07-16  0:25       ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2005-07-16  0:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

That's a very kind thought, and I would like to take you up on it.

  Brantley Coile

I quite often defended his posts to this list.  I always read them.
Sometimes I understood them, but I could always count on them
being short and to the point.
I'll miss them.

@ 2005-07-16  1:05         ` Dave Lukes
From: Dave Lukes @ 2005-07-16  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 15 Jul 2005, at 19:36, Devon H. O'Dell wrote:

> Dave Lukes wrote:
>> Devon/Andrey/Steve/Anyone else,
>> With your permission, I'll put together a list of "absent friends" to
>> be
>
> Thank you very, very much.
> -d

It's the least I can do.

Dave.

* Re: [9fans] Possibility of a lift to Boyd's wake ...
                         ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2005-07-16  4:05       ` John DeGood
From: John DeGood @ 2005-07-16  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

 > Anyone else who wishes to be included, please email me.

Please add my name, and I hope some of those able to attend in person
will dress for the occasion:

  http://www.cafepress.com/cp/prod.aspx?p=plan9stuff.13821954

John