* [9fans] Recent NDIS compat layer discussion
@ 2005-09-10  7:02 Andrew R. Reiter
From: Andrew R. Reiter @ 2005-09-10  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I am new to the list, so please forgive whatever ignorance that may
forthcome.

I just wanted to hear if there was any work being done on NDIS compat
support; if so, by whom?  I have a few notes regarding implementation
nitty gritty of handling PE file format that might be worth considering
during implementation.

If I am calling upon the wrong list, I would appreciate a pointer to where
I might find the apropos list.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Andrew

   "Natural bridges on a clean west swell,
      Break over the reef like a bat of out hell." -- Sublime.

* Re: [9fans] Recent NDIS compat layer discussion
@ 2005-09-10  8:05 ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2005-09-10  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I just wanted to hear if there was any work being done on NDIS compat
> support; if so, by whom?  I have a few notes regarding implementation
> nitty gritty of handling PE file format that might be worth considering
> during implementation.

I'm sure making these publicly accessible (the wiki, typically) would
not hurt anyone.  Whether anybody will make use of them is more
difficult to predict.

++L

* Re: [9fans] Recent NDIS compat layer discussion
@ 2005-09-10  8:42   ` Andrew R. Reiter
From: Andrew R. Reiter @ 2005-09-10  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

:
:I'm sure making these publicly accessible (the wiki, typically) would
:not hurt anyone.  Whether anybody will make use of them is more
:difficult to predict.

*nod*; I see your point.  I think I'm too much of a n00b with plan9 to
help with any real development (unfortunately).

Thanks,
Andrew

:
:++L
:
:

@ 2005-09-10 14:29     ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2005-09-10 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> *nod*; I see your point.  I think I'm too much of a n00b with plan9 to
> help with any real development (unfortunately).

It varies.  Ten years down the line, I still fail to grasp some of the
more fundamental concepts, probably too much baggage from the
preceding 20 years.  On the other side of the coin, I remember Russ
Cox's first tentative moves and now he's in effect the primary
developer.

++L

* Re: [9fans] Recent NDIS compat layer discussion
@ 2005-09-10 15:28 ` Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2005-09-10 15:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Andrew R. Reiter wrote:

> I just wanted to hear if there was any work being done on NDIS compat
> support; if so, by whom?

I don't think anyone is yet.

ron

* Re: [9fans] Recent NDIS compat layer discussion
@ 2005-09-22 11:05     ` Dave Lukes
From: Dave Lukes @ 2005-09-22 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

 > :> I just wanted to hear if there was any work being done on NDIS compat
 > :> support; if so, by whom?

No and me respectively.:-)

I put my hand up and said I'd look at it, but, due to the usual
constraints, plus a few more,
it'll be a while before you see any movement, but, as they say, it's on
my list.

Also, Since I haven't written any kernel code (let alone drivers) in >15
years,
it will be an "interesting" experience".

 > :>  I have a few notes
 > >:I'm sure making these publicly accessible (the wiki, typically)
would :not hurt anyone.

Put 'em there!
(Or send them to someone who can: not me!)
It's all potentially useful.

To be honest, I doubt that PE format (which itself is a variant of my
old enemy COFF)
is going to be a major stumbling block, compared with stuff like memory
allocation, .
(Anyone want to bet on whether a typical NDIS drivers leaks memory or not?)

Also, the nice people at Project Evil have already done that part, thank
goodness.
AFAIK, apart from all the usual BS involved in porting (C syntax,
include files etc.),
the nasty parts are going to be imitating the windoze interfaces, memory
allocation, buffering models etc.

 > *nod*; I see your point. I think I'm too much of a n00b with plan9 to
 > help with any real development (unfortunately).

<soapbox>
Hey, you're here and you're contributing, so you ain't a n00b in my book!
To me, n00bs are the people who don't read the archives and start
whining about
the lack of curses support and asking when the Seamonkey port will be done.

Also, to give some perspective,
I don't have plan9 running (yet): just got 9ports going on my mac a week
or so ago.

The fact that one doesn't hack code does not mean that one does not
contribute.

e.g. Due to a lack-of-time/illness/divorce/lack-of-tuits/...
I've never done anything with plan9, to my eternal shame.
OTOH, I did host the first tiny plan9 conference,
and I feel myself to be a member of the community in a small way.
so come on in, the water's fine!
</soapbox>

DaveL.

P.S. If plan9 was a village then I'd probably be the village idiot, but
it would still better than living in the city.

* Re: [9fans] Recent NDIS compat layer discussion
@ 2005-09-22 12:19       ` Lucio De Re
From: Lucio De Re @ 2005-09-22 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> P.S. If plan9 was a village then I'd probably be the village idiot, but
> it would still better than living in the city.

For the fortunes file?  Properly credited?

++L

* Re: [9fans] Recent NDIS compat layer discussion
@ 2005-09-22 15:08         ` Dave Lukes
From: Dave Lukes @ 2005-09-22 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lucio De Re, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

<blush/>