* Re: [9fans] guh 2, 3 and 4
@ 2003-07-19 16:29 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-07-19 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003, northern snowfall wrote:

> What I need to do is find some documentation on these
> devices, and I can't seem to find any. Frankly, I'm sick
> of spending time searching when I've got other things to
> do. Maybe my search technique is lacking, but I'd rather
> ask when I'm havin trouble than sit around and wish.

we had similar problems in linuxbios. You can try finding southbridge
chipset docs, such as the Intel PIIX4E, that have integrated these
devices. Believe it or not, on even the newest chipsets, there is legacy
hardware emulation of "PC80" hardware, i.e. the chips used in the IBM PC
in 1980.

developer.intel.com has the PIIX4E docs,but I forget the official chip #.

ron

* Re: [9fans] guh 2, 3 and 4
@ 2003-07-19 16:45   ` Philippe Anel
From: Philippe Anel @ 2003-07-19 16:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

At 10:29 19/07/03 -0600, you wrote:
>On Sat, 19 Jul 2003, northern snowfall wrote:
>
> > What I need to do is find some documentation on these
> > devices, and I can't seem to find any. Frankly, I'm sick
> > of spending time searching when I've got other things to
> > do. Maybe my search technique is lacking, but I'd rather
> > ask when I'm havin trouble than sit around and wish.
>
>we had similar problems in linuxbios. You can try finding southbridge
>chipset docs, such as the Intel PIIX4E, that have integrated these
>devices. Believe it or not, on even the newest chipsets, there is legacy
>hardware emulation of "PC80" hardware, i.e. the chips used in the IBM PC
>in 1980.
>
>developer.intel.com has the PIIX4E docs,but I forget the official chip #.

ftpfs download.intel.com
cd /n/ftp/design/chipsets/manuals/

         Philippe,

* [9fans] guh 2, 3 and 4
@ 2003-07-19 17:11 northern snowfall
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: northern snowfall @ 2003-07-19 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Heyas,
	Thanks to everyone that responded with yesterday's
"guh" request. I've got several more for ya'll. I've read
quite a few OS sources for the i8042, i8253 and the i8254.
Now, I've even written successful code for my own OS based
on the code from other Operating Systems. The problem is
that it never feels like I know what I'm doing.

What I need to do is find some documentation on these
devices, and I can't seem to find any. Frankly, I'm sick
of spending time searching when I've got other things to
do. Maybe my search technique is lacking, but I'd rather
ask when I'm havin trouble than sit around and wish.

Thanks in advance,
Don

http://www.7f.no-ip.com/~north_

* Re: [9fans] guh 2, 3 and 4
@ 2003-07-19 22:15 ` Geoff Collyer
From: Geoff Collyer @ 2003-07-19 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The information can be somewhat scattered and I've found old books on
the PC to sometimes be quite helpful.  Sometimes the actual
standards are quite expensive (e.g., SCSI and PCI).

From: Geoff Collyer @ 2003-07-19 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2003-07-20 16:48     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2003-07-20 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat, 19 Jul 2003, Philippe Anel wrote:

> >developer.intel.com has the PIIX4E docs,but I forget the official chip #.
>
> ftpfs download.intel.com
> cd /n/ftp/design/chipsets/manuals/

I got it. The part # is 82371EB PCI-TO-ISA/IDE Xcelerator

you can search for that on the web site.

The writeup on the various "pc80" bits is useful.

ron

* Re: [9fans] guh 2, 3 and 4
@ 2003-07-20 18:21       ` northern snowfall
From: northern snowfall @ 2003-07-20 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>I got it. The part # is 82371EB PCI-TO-ISA/IDE Xcelerator

Nice; thanks, Ron

Don

http://www.7f.no-ip.com/~north_