* [9fans] Plan9 && qemu/Kqemu/qvm86
@ 2005-10-10 14:07 Marco Mililotti
From: Marco Mililotti @ 2005-10-10 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,
I'm new to the list (and relatively new to Plan 9).

Anyone that has installed P9 under Qemu using kqemu can give me infos
about which kernel version (on the host), wich version of qemu/kqemu
it's using?

As I'm trying to use Qemu to install the current P9 distribution I run
into trouble: while using kqemu the startup process dies at the
beginning (before seeing the "kfs... ..." line on the screen), with a
"panic" message.

If I don't use kqemu, the process goes on, I can start the "copydist"
task (but, hey, it's terribly *SLOW*).

Using the free kernel module (qvm86) for qemu allow me to proceed in the
installation process :) and to start the "copydist" task, which however
  dies while copying data (around 6% - 9%).

Some infos:
- host os: kernel 2.6.10-1.771_FC2 on Fedora Core 2
- qemu: 0.7.2
- kqemu: 0.7.2
- qvm86: snapshot of 2005-10-08

I've not found infos on 9fans about this kind of probles; any
suggestions on what should I try?

Thanks,
PS:
booting the cdrom seems to be working fine without crashes.
well, is someone using kqemu at all here? For me plain qemu is working
_very_ slowly (very! very! slowly on 1GHZ pc).
-- Marco

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 && qemu/Kqemu/qvm86
@ 2005-10-10 14:40 ` Christoph Lohmann
From: Christoph Lohmann @ 2005-10-10 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Good day.

On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 16:07:44 +0200
Marco Mililotti <marco@yawbs.org> wrote:

> Anyone that has installed P9 under Qemu using kqemu can give me infos
> about which kernel version (on the host), wich version of qemu/kqemu
> it's using?

Plan 9 runs on it since 0.7.2.

> If I don't use kqemu, the process goes on, I can start the "copydist"
> task (but, hey, it's terribly *SLOW*).

A Qemu HDD image is on [0], with a preinstalled Plan 9, so the slow copy
process does not need to be done.

> I've not found infos on 9fans about this kind of probles; any
> suggestions on what should I try?

Still there is Xen, as the Xenoppix thread showed some days before. [1]

> Thanks,
> PS:
> booting the cdrom seems to be working fine without crashes.
> well, is someone using kqemu at all here? For me plain qemu is working
> _very_ slowly (very! very! slowly on 1GHZ pc).
> -- Marco

The copying is so slow. Running Qemu + Plan 9 on a 2.29Ghz Pentium IV is
fast enough for working with it.

Sincerely,

Christoph

[0] http://www.9grid.de/plan9/Plan9-hdimage.gz (One week old.)
[1] http://unit.aist.go.jp/itri/knoppix/xen/index-en.html

* Re: [9fans] Plan9 && qemu/Kqemu/qvm86
@ 2005-10-10 14:42 ` Marco Mililotti
From: Marco Mililotti @ 2005-10-10 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Marco Mililotti wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm new to the list (and relatively new to Plan 9).
>
> Anyone that has installed P9 under Qemu using kqemu can give me infos
> about which kernel version (on the host), wich version of qemu/kqemu
> it's using?
[snip]
> Thanks,
> PS:
> booting the cdrom seems to be working fine without crashes.
Argh! I've to correct myself!
The boot went ok, but the system is unstable (under qvm86/qemu):
- man <smthg> give "troff: Stacksize overflow in n3; stdin: 5..."
- the little applic (top-left corner) that show stats about
mem/interrupts/ctx switch/etc died with "stats 102: suicide: sys: trap:
fault read addr=0x20 pc=...".

Under kqemu/qemu, also booting P9 on the CD (instead of choosing
install) send the system in panic, with:
"panic: boot process died: sys: trap: fault read addr=0x0..."

While these errors are not - probably - due to problems of P9, It would
be helpful to find how to succesfully run P9 into an emulator.

Regards,

@ 2005-10-10 15:39   ` Marco Mililotti
From: Marco Mililotti @ 2005-10-10 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Christoph Lohmann wrote:
[snip]
> A Qemu HDD image is on [0], with a preinstalled Plan 9, so the slow copy
> process does not need to be done.
Hi,
thank you :) It's working.
However it seems that neither kqemu nor qvm86 accelerators are able to
work with Plan 9 :/ (I've just tried with the suggested image I've
downloaded).

[snip]

> The copying is so slow. Running Qemu + Plan 9 on a 2.29Ghz Pentium IV is
> fast enough for working with it.
Yes, but on 1Ghz it's not.
I'll look at xen, altought I cannot run gui with it.
Thanks.

@ 2005-10-10 19:21     ` Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2005-10-10 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Marco Mililotti wrote:

> I'll look at xen, altought I cannot run gui with it.

???

what do you mean? I don't understand.

ron