* [9fans] 9P Cloud™
@ 2015-07-07 18:00 Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2015-07-07 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello 9fans,

I'm pleased to announce the availability of the 9P Cloud service
(https://www.9pcloud.net).  The service lets users create secure,
distributed file systems instantly, utilizing only HTML5 browsers.
I've included the link to a short "Introduction to 9P Cloud" video.

The backend is written in Go, and runs on a custom Plan 9 kernel.  The
service uses OAuth2 authentication; currently Google and Facebook are
supported.  The 9P server and client are written in JavaScript and
require support for HTML5 Filesystem and WebSocket APIs in the
browser.

9P Cloud would not be possible without the great work of many, some of
whom are on this list.  It should be a source of pride for the Plan 9
community, Go Authors and other open source projects (Skeleton,
Font-Awesome, Google Fonts).  Thank you all for your creations.

-Skip

Introduction to 9P Cloud
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCBsyrFFGH0

* [9fans] 9P Cloud™
@ 2015-07-07 18:59 ` a.regenfuss at gmx.de
From: a.regenfuss at gmx.de @ 2015-07-07 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nice. This seems exactly what Plan 9 is useful for, and I am glad to see someone use it in real life to solve real problems.

Great work, I love it.
?
?

Gesendet:?Dienstag, 07. Juli 2015 um 18:00 Uhr
Von:?"Skip Tavakkolian" <9nut at 9netics.com>
An:?9fans at 9fans.net
Betreff:?[9fans] 9P Cloud?
[...]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCBsyrFFGH0[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCBsyrFFGH0]

?

* Re: [9fans] 9P Cloud™
@ 2015-07-07 19:27 ` Wes Kussmaul
From: Wes Kussmaul @ 2015-07-07 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Congratulations, Skip and all contributors! Personal clouds (*truly*
personal clouds) are the future.

Any prospects for certificate authentication as an alternative to oauth2?

Wes

--

Wes Kussmaul
The Authenticity Institute

office +1 781 790 1674
mobile +1 781 330 1881

THIS COMMUNICATION IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE PERSON TO WHOM IT
IS ADDRESSED. If it was addressed incorrectly there's not much I can do
but ask you politely to pretend you didn't see it. Any disclaimer
suggesting that the sender has some kind of recourse is just wishful
thinking.

If I had a message from you that was digitally signed using your
Sigillum™ identity credential from the Osmio Vital Records Department
(http://osmio.ch), we could easily and at no cost exchange encrypted
messages and files with each other.

* Re: [9fans] 9P Cloud™
@ 2015-07-07 22:11   ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2015-07-07 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Any prospects for certificate authentication as an alternative to oauth2?

yes; owing to 9P's design, authentication can be different.  an early
version used authsrv.  it is especially easy when there is a Go
package that implements the auth protocol.  this is the case with
OAuth2 (it uses https://github.com/golang/oauth2)

-Skip

* Re: [9fans] 9P Cloud™
@ 2015-07-07 23:30     ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2015-07-07 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

it would be useful to me if you would also create a second websocket
server that accepts local samba file requests :)

how can i login to this web site automatically on boot?

On 7/8/15, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com> wrote:
>> Any prospects for certificate authentication as an alternative to oauth2?
>
> yes; owing to 9P's design, authentication can be different.  an early
> version used authsrv.  it is especially easy when there is a Go
> package that implements the auth protocol.  this is the case with
> OAuth2 (it uses https://github.com/golang/oauth2)
>
> -Skip

* Re: [9fans] 9P Cloud™
@ 2015-07-08  0:53       ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2015-07-08  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> it would be useful to me if you would also create a second websocket
> server that accepts local samba file requests :)

integration with local and third party storage (Drive, S3, Dropbox)
are on the radar for future enhancements.

in the meantime, if you wanted to roll your own (in Go) ...

assuming i undrestand correclty -- that you want to export parts of
your SMB share via 9P Cloud to others -- you would need an oauth2
client that will authenticate itself then export a 9P filesystem over
websocket to 9pcloud.  you can use either goplan9 package at
https://github.com/9fans/go (rsc/rob) or go9p package at
https://code.google.com/p/go9p/ (lucho and andrey) for the 9p server
part and the oauth2 and websocket packages in Go repo on github for
authentication and websocket handling.  the javascript on the main
page should be helpful.

* Re: [9fans] 9P Cloud™
@ 2015-07-08  1:05         ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2015-07-08  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

No, i mean the other way around: I would like to access the files in a
real file browser (as if they were mounted like a network share).
this mounting (and login) process should happen automatically at boot.

I currently do this for an sshfs share. A small arm computer does
nothing else but exporting an sshfs mount to my local network (windows
computers) via samba.

Also I would like to resume sharing my files with my friend after a
reboot. So for uplink I'd also need automatic login.

On 7/8/15, Skip Tavakkolian <9nut@9netics.com> wrote:
>> it would be useful to me if you would also create a second websocket
>> server that accepts local samba file requests :)
>
> integration with local and third party storage (Drive, S3, Dropbox)
> are on the radar for future enhancements.
>
> in the meantime, if you wanted to roll your own (in Go) ...
>
> assuming i undrestand correclty -- that you want to export parts of
> your SMB share via 9P Cloud to others -- you would need an oauth2
> client that will authenticate itself then export a 9P filesystem over
> websocket to 9pcloud.  you can use either goplan9 package at
> https://github.com/9fans/go (rsc/rob) or go9p package at
> https://code.google.com/p/go9p/ (lucho and andrey) for the 9p server
> part and the oauth2 and websocket packages in Go repo on github for
> authentication and websocket handling.  the javascript on the main
> page should be helpful.

* Re: [9fans] 9P Cloud™
@ 2015-07-08  6:09           ` steve
From: steve @ 2015-07-08  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

not sure if this helps you, but cinap's cifsd in 9front works very well for me, exporting my plan9 file server to windows boxes.

-Steve