* Re: [9fans] replica's _* files
@ 2006-04-19  1:02 geoff
From: geoff @ 2006-04-19  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The reason to keep _ binaries around is that when you have multiple
cpu servers and terminals, until you've rebooted (or shutdown) all
your cpu servers and all your terminals, it's not safe, in general, to
remove old binaries.  A particularly good time to remove them is after
restarting your file server.

* Re: [9fans] replica's _* files
@ 2006-04-19 14:12 ` Ronald G Minnich
From: Ronald G Minnich @ 2006-04-19 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

geoff@collyer.net wrote:
> The reason to keep _ binaries around is that when you have multiple
> cpu servers and terminals, until you've rebooted (or shutdown) all
> your cpu servers and all your terminals, it's not safe, in general, to
> remove old binaries.  A particularly good time to remove them is after
> restarting your file server.

see: NFS sillyrename(). Another way the problem was solved :-)

ron

* Re: [9fans] replica's _* files
@ 2006-04-18 13:08       ` Gorka guardiola
From: Gorka guardiola @ 2006-04-18 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

If I got it right, you didnt. This is for files which are already being executed
and loaded in demand so that, for example the rio *which is alredy running*
doesnt get broken if all the binary is not loaded yet. The file is already in
use, so the name doesnt get resolved again. As long as you dont delete
it will continue to be used even if you rename it.

--
- curiosity sKilled the cat

* Re: [9fans] replica's _* files
@ 2006-04-18 12:53     ` Sascha Retzki
From: Sascha Retzki @ 2006-04-18 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2006-04-18  9:44   ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2006-04-18  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

unfortunately this method does'nt solve the problem.

you have to reboot after a replica/pull ... unless
you don't indeed to do it again.

simple exmple ... your rio, which has been running
for weeks/months becomes _rio ... and the next
update overwrites your _rio.

correct me if i'm wrong.

i'd rather them be rename in _i++.

brucee

On 4/18/06, Russ Cox <rsc@swtch.com> wrote:
> When a new binary (e.g., /386/bin/rio) gets pulled,
> the old one, which you might still be running,
> is renamed to the _ version so that it keeps working.
> If you remove _rio while someone is still executing
> it and then they try to demand load a page from the binary,
> the running rio will die.
>
> After rebooting the machine so that you're running the
> new binaries, then it's safe to remove _*.
>
> There is no fossil console command to zero unused fossil blocks.
> The source is in /sys/src/cmd/fossil if you'd like to add one.
>
> Russ

* Re: [9fans] replica's _* files
@ 2006-04-17 22:24 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-04-17 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

When a new binary (e.g., /386/bin/rio) gets pulled,
the old one, which you might still be running,
is renamed to the _ version so that it keeps working.
If you remove _rio while someone is still executing
it and then they try to demand load a page from the binary,
the running rio will die.

After rebooting the machine so that you're running the
new binaries, then it's safe to remove _*.

There is no fossil console command to zero unused fossil blocks.
The source is in /sys/src/cmd/fossil if you'd like to add one.

Russ

* [9fans] replica's _* files
@ 2006-04-17 21:04 Lluís Batlle i Rossell
From: Lluís Batlle i Rossell @ 2006-04-17 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

After doing a replica "pull", I've seen many new _* files in my plan9
filesystem. I can easily write a script for deleting them - I imagine
they're copies of the old files. By now as I'm a new user who
understands a little about the system, I can simply remove them all. But
that points me to another question: if I'm using a fossil-only
installation, can I "zero" the contents of the disk where those files
were stored? I think maybe there's a fossil command for zeroing the free
blocks... That would help compressing the qemu images of plan9 disks.

Thanks in advance,
Lluís