From: ori@eigenstate.org
To: lucio.dere@gmail.com, 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] upgrading the 9legacy shell (was: Gmail vs Upas)
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2019 22:17:49 -0800	[thread overview]

> On 12/3/19, ori@eigenstate.org <ori@eigenstate.org> wrote:
>>
>> Unrelatedly, would there be interest in adding the `$split{cmd} syntax
>> from 9atom to 9legacy?  I think it's currently the only reason that
>> git9 doesn't work out of the box there, and it's very nice syntax.
>>
> I'm quite obsessed with converging the very best of all 9worlds into a
> single 9heritage version as an on-going project, but I am not very
> good at staying focused. Updating rc I think is both a very good start
> and a potential curse: the divergence in 9front is quite significant.
>
> Plus, we need git9 and better for the community to contribute to a
> neutral project (my opinion, of course).
>
> What feels right to me is to focus on git9 before going any further
> and make it as 9friendly as possible,  to all 9fans. Would that
> conflict with anyone's pet use of Plan 9?

*shrugs* Sure, if it doesn't work the way you want it to, feel free to
send in patches.

I prefer you send changes as emails with inline patches that I can
'git/import'. You can generate that by committing and running
'git/export' with git9, or 'git format-patch HEAD^' on unix.

> But most of all, I think projects like these need participation and a
> record of decisions taken. I know Go have a proposal system, could we
> attempt to create something similar? Ori did point out in his
> presentation that /sys/doc has great value in the Plan 9 ecosystem and
> I could not agree more.

I thought that was patch(1).

The missing part doesn't seem to be the mechanism, but the people
using it.  Very few people are sending them, and nobody is building a
release with an "OFFICIAL" stamp on it with appropriate patches
integrated, and moved to the applied directory.

Though, I suppose it says something when the version of patch in
9legacy still tries to submit to sources.cs.bell-labs.com.

I'll leave it to the 9legacy folks to figure out how they want to
handle that, but I'd be happy to see patch notifications ending up on
9fans.  Patches aren't high volume enough at the moment to warrant
their own list, and 9fans seems like a good way to both let observers
know what's going on, and get eyeballs for review.