From: Lucio De Re <lucio.dere@gmail.com>
To: 9fans <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] upgrading the 9legacy shell (was: Gmail vs Upas)
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2019 06:55:24 +0200	[thread overview]

The world has really moved along since 2000, even since 95/98 (all
clear Microsoft milestone years, in case one misses the connection).
That genie ain't going back in any bottle. Well, is there really more
than one, or is it just one, multiheaded Hydra?

I feel at home on Plan 9 and continue to curse, mostly the resource
greed of Linux, but also the continual "enhancements" it insists on
foisting on me. Android is worse by a few orders of magnitude, it's
even taken to remind me to restart my mobile instrument because it's
been accumulating spiderwebs for more than a week!

But then there is Go which is pretty much as bad, and yet I do not
feel the same dislike, something about efforts towards discipline seem
to avoid ruffling my feathers.

The analogy with the South African socio-political situation is
irresistible: the notable difference is that there isn't a power play
in action with real people's lives being threatened. But the same
dismissive attitude on one side that the other side uses to create an
unjustified boundary is pretty much identical.

But I would need to explain much I wish no one else will ever need to
learn about, to avoid being insulting rather than encouraging. I would
like the two main communities (despite Stallion's hints that we ought
to look outside of these) to define their differences and bring to a
table only those that one can build on. And that means a lot of
rejections that neither side is going to appreciate having to swallow.
But they are realities, essential if we are to move on.

The significant thing, though, that we seem to overlook, is that 9fans
is still active. For all the friction, we are still talking.

Lucio.

On 12/4/19, Alex Musolino <alex@musolino.id.au> wrote:
>> I have no interest in using 9front for both technical and
>> non-technical reasons.
>
> What are some of the technical reasons?

Lucio De Re
2 Piet Retief St