* [9fans] HP Laserjet III printer
@ 2006-07-31  5:16 John Boutland
From: John Boutland @ 2006-07-31  5:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Have been trying to get this printer going with no success. Had a look
at the Luther/Rattan correspondence (Plan9 and laser printer) but found
no help there. I've fiddled about with /sys/lib/lp/devices without
success (or even knowing much about what I'm doing!)
The printer is on the parallel port. If output is directed to pcclone,
going to /dev/lpt1data, the printer fires up OK but prints lots of pages
of nothing useful, mainly blank pages preceded by %!PS-Adobe-2.0, etc,
staggered across the first page. Presumably the driver is not correct.
Any help appreciated.
John

* Re: [9fans] HP Laserjet III printer
@ 2006-07-31  5:22 ` John Boutland
From: John Boutland @ 2006-07-31  5:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I should have added that the file I'm using to test this is a C program
created using sam. John

@ 2006-07-31 14:40 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-07-31 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Have been trying to get this printer going with no success. Had a look
> at the Luther/Rattan correspondence (Plan9 and laser printer) but found
> no help there. I've fiddled about with /sys/lib/lp/devices without
> success (or even knowing much about what I'm doing!)
> The printer is on the parallel port. If output is directed to pcclone,
> going to /dev/lpt1data, the printer fires up OK but prints lots of pages
> of nothing useful, mainly blank pages preceded by %!PS-Adobe-2.0, etc,
> staggered across the first page. Presumably the driver is not correct.
> Any help appreciated.
> John

In /sys/lib/lp/devices, you should be able to start with
the hpdeskjet entry, maybe rename it, and then
change the gs!cdj670 to gs!ljet3.  Then you should
be all set (using lp -dhpdeskjet or whatever new name
you chose).

Russ

* Re: [9fans] HP Laserjet III printer
@ 2006-08-01  2:09   ` John Boutland
From: John Boutland @ 2006-08-01  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Many thanks. Laserjet III now printing quite happily.
John