* [9fans] compiling 9pm on XP
@ 2006-08-10 20:53 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-08-10 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Has anyone compiled 9pm on XP recently and would
be willing to share a fresh binary set?
Apparently the old binaries (sam in particular)
no longer work on the most recent versions of XP.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] compiling 9pm on XP
@ 2006-08-11 15:11 ` Benn Newman
From: Benn Newman @ 2006-08-11 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Russ Cox said:
> Has anyone compiled 9pm on XP recently and would
> be willing to share a fresh binary set?
> Apparently the old binaries (sam in particular)
> no longer work on the most recent versions of XP.
>
> Russ

Sam (and everything else I have tried in 9pm) WORKSFORME on Microsoft
Windows XP (The nice computer tells me that it is Home Edition, Version
2002, Service Pack 2).
--
Benn Newman

* Re: [9fans] compiling 9pm on XP
@ 2006-08-11 16:24   ` jmk
From: jmk @ 2006-08-11 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Yes, WORKSFORME too on XP Professional on a Fujitsu Lifebook 2110.
However, it does not work on the new T60/X60 dual-core laptops, running
the same version of XP as the Fujitsu, which Lucent is replacing the
old T23s with. There are many places to look here for a culprit.

On Fri Aug 11 11:13:25 EDT 2006, newmanbe@sdf.lonestar.org wrote:
> Russ Cox said:
> > Has anyone compiled 9pm on XP recently and would
> > be willing to share a fresh binary set?
> > Apparently the old binaries (sam in particular)
> > no longer work on the most recent versions of XP.
> >
> > Russ
> >
> Sam (and everything else I have tried in 9pm) WORKSFORME on Microsoft
> Windows XP (The nice computer tells me that it is Home Edition, Version
> 2002, Service Pack 2).
> --
> Benn Newman

* Re: [9fans] compiling 9pm on XP
@ 2006-08-11 17:51     ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2006-08-11 17:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i've only seen the problem on new xp boxes when i
B a file - usually to a running sam.

i'll try to compile 9pm with vc2005 this weekend.

@ 2006-08-11 18:49       ` jmk
From: jmk @ 2006-08-11 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

what happens on the t60/x60 boxes is that
sam starts and just wedges, doesn't accept input, nothing.
i can only report what others tell me, i don't have one
of these laptops myself.

thanks.

@ 2006-08-12 12:33         ` Victor Nazarov
From: Victor Nazarov @ 2006-08-12 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

jmk@plan9.bell-labs.com wrote:

 >what happens on the t60/x60 boxes is that
 >sam starts and just wedges, doesn't accept input, nothing.
 >i can only report what others tell me, i don't have one
 >of these laptops myself.
 >
 >thanks.

I have experienced the same behavior on Win2kSP4
in only one case.  When WorkRave application was
running.  WorkRave seem to be filtering(blocking
for some periods) input.  IMHO, some versions/
installations of XP may have some process similar
to WorkRave.

--
Victor