* Re: [9fans] ATI Rage 3D Iic
       [not found] <a446f9bb01067989b6b6395c7b825e23@plan9.ucalgary.ca>
@ 2005-08-22 23:20 ` Rian Hunter
From: Rian Hunter @ 2005-08-22 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: andrey mirtchovski; +Cc: 9fans

On Mon, 2005-08-22 at 14:23, andrey mirtchovski wrote:
> > Is there a generic VGA driver for Plan 9 that isn't accelerated and just uses the generic PC VGA IO ports for display? I'm not sure if that would be dependent on BIOS interrupts or not, hopefully not. Any help would be extremely appreciated!
> > -rian
>
> go through the archives -- there are links to an .iso which handles
> generic vesa vga.
>
> this information is also on the wiki.

This link is dead now unfortunately
(http://www.9grid.de/plan9/plan9vesa.iso.bz2) and I've looked through
the wiki countless times for a generic vesa driver without any success.
I don't mean to be a complainer, I'm just explaining my situation.
-rian

* Re: [9fans] ATI Rage 3D Iic
@ 2005-08-23  8:18   ` Anselm R. Garbe
From: Anselm R. Garbe @ 2005-08-23  8:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/23/05, Rian Hunter <email@thelaststop.cjb.net> wrote:
> This link is dead now unfortunately
> (http://www.9grid.de/plan9/plan9vesa.iso.bz2) and I've looked through
> the wiki countless times for a generic vesa driver without any success.

I guess 9grid.de could be down until Christoph returns from vacation
in 3 weeks. (It was up until yesterday morning).

Regards,

* Re: [9fans] ATI Rage 3D Iic
@ 2005-09-04 20:11     ` McLone
From: McLone @ 2005-09-04 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/23/05, Anselm R. Garbe <garbeam@gmail.com> wrote:
> I guess 9grid.de could be down until Christoph returns from vacation
> in 3 weeks. (It was up until yesterday morning).
I was told 9grid is alive, but its IP not routed.
Christoph will change IP within a week.

I wonder will plan9vesa.iso work with PCIE nVidia?
v68 asm scares me (at least in linux source)
--
wbr,                        |\      _,,,---,,_           dog bless ya!
`                       Zzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_

* Re: [9fans] ATI Rage 3D Iic
@ 2005-08-22 18:23 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2005-08-22 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: email, 9fans

> Is there a generic VGA driver for Plan 9 that isn't accelerated and just uses the generic PC VGA IO ports for display? I'm not sure if that would be dependent on BIOS interrupts or not, hopefully not. Any help would be extremely appreciated!
> -rian

go through the archives -- there are links to an .iso which handles
generic vesa vga.

this information is also on the wiki.

* [9fans] ATI Rage 3D Iic
@ 2005-08-22 17:56 email
From: email @ 2005-08-22 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi,

I'm trying to install the latest distribution of Plan 9 but I'm having terrible trouble getting rio to start. I've tried adding an entry for my video card in VGADB but then I just get a blank screen (after looking at the bios dump by aux/vga) even at 640x480x8. If I remove my entry, Plan 9 just tells me that my card can't be found in VGADB.

My video card is an embedded AGP bus ATI Rage 3D Iic card in my motherboard with 4MB of memory. The BIOS string has something like MACH64GW, but I fear it may not be compatible with the Mach 64 driver in Plan 9 (because of the blank screen). I figure I can port the ATI Rage 3D Iic from the XFree86 project or something in the long term, but in the short term I just want to get the install rolling.