* RE: [9fans] troff fonts
@ 2007-05-14 23:26 Benn Newman
From: Benn Newman @ 2007-05-14 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>===== Original Message From matt <mattmobile@proweb.co.uk> =====
>I've been learning troff at last. As part of that I made this page so I
>could see what fonts would work.
>
>http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/contrib/maht/troff_fonts.ps
>
>or just
>
>http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/contrib/maht/fonts.tr
>
>or /n/sources/contrib/maht of course, however you choose
>

>Is there an easy way to add new fonts ?
>I've done a quick search but nothing fruitful so far.

troff does not care about fonts; it only cares about how wide each character
is.

/n/sources/contrib/btdn/lib/cm/ will install the width tables for the Computer
Modern fonts (hopefully). For everything else, you have to teach GhostScript
(or your local PostScript printer) about it first, but once you have done that
the process should be fairly straight forward. Ask if you have any questions.

Though not answering your question, there is a "Fonts" page on the wiki.

--
Benn Newman

* Re: [9fans] troff fonts
@ 2011-02-18  8:29     ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2011-02-18  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> As per the Heirloom troff stuff - I tried porting
> Heirloom, but firstly, I like the ability to input
> UTF-8,

Heirloom troff reads UTF-8...
(at least that's what its user's manual says)

* Re: [9fans] troff fonts
@ 2011-02-18  7:19   ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2011-02-18  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

So it seems that the UnivMath* files are
just dummies here - there's no real font
coverage for that stuff? Does anyone
know if the actual PS fonts are available
somewhere? Or am I missing something?

As per the Heirloom troff stuff - I tried porting
Heirloom, but firstly, I like the ability to input
UTF-8, otherwise I would just be using my
own port of lout. If it were possible, I'd just like
to patch the current troff we have with all the
analogous changes that the Heirloom folks
made. You can see from their code that it's
a bunch of pieces tacked on to troff (at least
from what I saw). But still, that's quite a bit of
effort.

Thanks,
ak

On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 6:04 AM, Rudolf Sykora <rudolf.sykora@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> What I know about the topic is basically here
> http://9fans.net/archive/2010/09/182
> However, I must repeat, the whole stuff is a mess.
> What I think would be useful, would be to backport the abilities of
> the Heirloom troff to work with T1, Truetype, OpenType fonts directly.

> On 17 February 2011 09:49, Akshat Kumar <akumar@mail.nanosouffle.net> wrote:
>> I'm trying to use the UnivMath6 fonts
>> in order to get a Blackboard bold D
>> in troff, so I issue:
>>
>> .fp 6 M6 UnivMath6
>>
>> but when it comes to postscript, it
>> complains:
>>
>> converting from troff to postscript...
>> /386/bin/aux/tr2post: <stdin>:76 :WARNING: cannot open file
>> /sys/lib/postscript/troff/UnivMath6
>> /386/bin/aux/tr2post: <stdin>:78 :FATAL: character <0x44> does not
>> have a Postscript font defined.
>> reading through postscript...
>> cannot find end of first line
>>
>> It would be nice if the all the troff fonts
>> were defined for postscript use as well.
>> How can one make a map for PS to
>> use?
>>

>> Thanks,
>> ak

* Re: [9fans] troff fonts
@ 2011-02-17 14:04 ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2011-02-17 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

What I know about the topic is basically here
http://9fans.net/archive/2010/09/182
However, I must repeat, the whole stuff is a mess.
What I think would be useful, would be to backport the abilities of
the Heirloom troff to work with T1, Truetype, OpenType fonts directly.

On 17 February 2011 09:49, Akshat Kumar <akumar@mail.nanosouffle.net> wrote:
> I'm trying to use the UnivMath6 fonts
> in order to get a Blackboard bold D
> in troff, so I issue:
>
> .fp 6 M6 UnivMath6
>
> but when it comes to postscript, it
> complains:
>
> converting from troff to postscript...
> /386/bin/aux/tr2post: <stdin>:76 :WARNING: cannot open file
> /sys/lib/postscript/troff/UnivMath6
> /386/bin/aux/tr2post: <stdin>:78 :FATAL: character <0x44> does not
> have a Postscript font defined.
> reading through postscript...
> cannot find end of first line
>
> It would be nice if the all the troff fonts
> were defined for postscript use as well.
> How can one make a map for PS to
> use?
>

> Thanks,
> ak