* Re: [9fans] next iwp9
@ 2008-03-11 15:47 gdiaz
From: gdiaz @ 2008-03-11 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hola,

i suppose you should take a train to alaska, a cruise to rusia (you shoud do this on summer), train to moscow and then a train to greece, an epic journey to wrote a tolkien-like book. . .

if you do it for less tan 3000USD per person, let me know, i'm intested in doing it too :-)

slds.

gabi
PS. don't forget to take some photos ;)

-- quanstro@quanstro.net wrote:

>> See you all there
>>
>> http://www.multimap.com/maps/?hloc=GR|volos#t=l&map=38.56906,23.09964|9|4&loc=GR:39.36667:22.94583:14|volos|V%C3%B3los,%20Nom%C3%B3s%20Magnis%C3%ADas
>>
>> I'm hoping to travel by train rather than plane (carbon bootprint n all
>> that)
>>
>> http://www.seat61.com/Greece.htm
>>
>> If anyone's interested in meeting up on the journey, let me know :)
>>
>> Matt
>
>yes, let me know how you do that leaving from north america.
>
>- erik

* Re: [9fans] next iwp9
@ 2008-03-11 16:05 ` maht
From: maht @ 2008-03-11 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Some of our domestic trains now have power outlets for laptops so you
could ignore all the scenery and play minesweeper the whole way

* Re: [9fans] Next IWP9
@ 2008-11-10 22:13             ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2008-11-10 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

My orthopaedic surgeon would disown me - and he's a valuable asset.

brucee

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 12:01 AM, Wes Kussmaul <wes@authentrus.com> wrote:

>>> If you want skiing then you want to hold it in Whistler (British
>>> Columbia).
>>>
>>> But I would *strongly* recommend against skipping a year if it's held
>>> there :-P
>>
>> There are things about Whi$tler that would pose problems for some.
>
> Whistler got its name from the common reaction to readers of its rate sheet.

* Re: [9fans] Next IWP9
@ 2008-11-10 22:01           ` Wes Kussmaul
From: Wes Kussmaul @ 2008-11-10 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2008-11-10 21:55           ` Pietro Gagliardi
From: Pietro Gagliardi @ 2008-11-10 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* Re: [9fans] Next IWP9
@ 2008-11-10 21:48         ` Wes Kussmaul
From: Wes Kussmaul @ 2008-11-10 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2008-11-10 21:36 ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2008-11-10 21:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Colocation with Bondi Beach may not be bad either.

http://www.chunder.com/may96/ravesis.html

You, and Summit Police, have met Ms Wendy - Mr Hensbergen
Pickup-Truck. I will give in and fly if needed. What else do I do with
all these damned frequent flyer miles?

With all due respect,

brucee

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 5:06 PM, Eric Van Hensbergen <ericvh@gmail.com> wrote:
> Was really bummed not to be able to make IWP9 this year.  A note to
> whoever is considering hosting the next one -- it would be really cool
> for us corporate types if we could move it into the first two quarters
> of the year as its usually around July that our travel budgets get
> slashed.  I think it would even be worth skipping a year so we could
> move it earlier if that was necessary.   Co-location with a major
> conference (USENIX, OSDI, SOSP, etc.) would be nice too, but since
> that would probably bump the costs for folks it may be less desirable.
>
>           -eric

* Re: [9fans] Next IWP9
@ 2008-11-10 21:32       ` Lyndon Nerenberg
From: Lyndon Nerenberg @ 2008-11-10 21:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>> Northeast US, say january or feb., skipping next year, would
>> be great for me.
>
> Clearly you just want to go skiing ;)

If you want skiing then you want to hold it in Whistler (British
Columbia).

But I would *strongly* recommend against skipping a year if it's held
there :-P

* Re: [9fans] Next IWP9
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-11-10 19:34 ` Michaelian Ennis
From: Michaelian Ennis @ 2008-11-10 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 11:03 AM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:

> i have offered to host in athens, ga.  home of coraid,
> the university of georgia, and almost never any snow.
> we're just outside atlanta.
>
> - erik

I too would prefer Athens, GA as I live there.  Also I would likely be
able to volunteer to video tape the talks and assemble a DVD of them
if it were.  I would be interested in doing so anyway if I can get
myself and my gear to the conference.

Ian

* Re: [9fans] Next IWP9
@ 2008-11-10 19:28       ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2008-11-10 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I´m trading snow & extra hours flying. :)
I don´t like snow too much, but making a long trip
longer is worse, IMHO.

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 4:36 PM, Eric Van Hensbergen <ericvh@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 9:24 AM, Fco. J. Ballesteros <nemo@lsub.org> wrote:
>> Northeast US, say january or feb., skipping next year, would
>> be great for me.
>>

> Clearly you just want to go skiing ;)
>
>       -eric

* Re: [9fans] Next IWP9
@ 2008-11-10 17:50   ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2008-11-10 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I have enquired and am settled with Sydney in the first week of
November, if if you want that. Everything  All ready to go. Tell me if
you want a different month.

brucee

(as much as i enoy this greek expedition i can't take tiger to the US,
without great expense and possible harm).

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 6:44 PM, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> we want to avoid the mistake I made at the last linuxbios meeting --
> attaching it to an expensive conference. keep it cheap.
>
> ron

* Re: [9fans] Next IWP9
@ 2008-11-10 16:44 ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2008-11-10 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: nemo

@ 2008-11-10 16:22 ` Brian L. Stuart
From: Brian L. Stuart @ 2008-11-10 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> i have offered to host in athens, ga.  home of coraid,
> the university of georgia, and almost never any snow.
> we're just outside atlanta.

That would work better really well for me, as I'm
in Memphis--much easier to drive to Atlanta than
to the northeast, or Greece for that matter...
And since it'd probably be on my dime, saving
plane fare is really appealing.

Just my 2 cents--and worth every penny...

BLS

* Re: [9fans] Next IWP9
@ 2008-11-10 16:08 ` ron minnich
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: ron minnich @ 2008-11-10 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: nemo

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 8:03 AM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:

> i have offered to host in athens, ga.  home of coraid,
> the university of georgia, and almost never any snow.
> we're just outside atlanta.

I like it being near a major airport, and atlanta is a very common
one-stop from many places.

ron

* Re: [9fans] Next IWP9
@ 2008-11-10 16:03 erik quanstrom
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-11-10 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: nemo, 9fans

@ 2008-11-10 15:54       ` lejatorn
From: lejatorn @ 2008-11-10 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 09:36:02AM -0600, Eric Van Hensbergen wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 9:24 AM, Fco. J. Ballesteros <nemo@lsub.org> wrote:
> > Northeast US, say january or feb., skipping next year, would
> > be great for me.
> >

> Clearly you just want to go skiing ;)

sheeesh, barely returned from scuba diving in Volos and already thinking
of skiing...?

Mathieu

* Re: [9fans] Next IWP9
@ 2008-11-10 15:36     ` Eric Van Hensbergen
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2008-11-10 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2008-11-10 15:24   ` Fco. J. Ballesteros
From: Fco. J. Ballesteros @ 2008-11-10 15:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Northeast US, say january or feb., skipping next year, would
be great for me.

>  From: john@csplan9.rit.edu
>
>  Putting in a request for somewhere in the Northeast U.S. next year,
>  if people are willing to accept the weather. I'd offer to host it
>  here in Rochester (at RIT, I think they'd go for it) but the
>  conditions can be expected to be similar to Murray Hill's from IWP9
>  2007.
>
>  John

* Re: [9fans] Next IWP9
@ 2008-11-10 15:17 ` john
From: john @ 2008-11-10 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Was really bummed not to be able to make IWP9 this year.  A note to
> whoever is considering hosting the next one -- it would be really cool
> for us corporate types if we could move it into the first two quarters
> of the year as its usually around July that our travel budgets get
> slashed.  I think it would even be worth skipping a year so we could
> move it earlier if that was necessary.   Co-location with a major
> conference (USENIX, OSDI, SOSP, etc.) would be nice too, but since
> that would probably bump the costs for folks it may be less desirable.
>
>            -eric

Putting in a request for somewhere in the Northeast U.S.  next year,
if people are willing to accept the weather.  I'd offer to host it
here in Rochester (at RIT, I think they'd go for it) but the
conditions can be expected to be similar to Murray Hill's from IWP9
2007.

John

* [9fans] Next IWP9
@ 2008-11-10 15:06 Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2008-11-10 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2008-03-11 16:03     ` maht
From: maht @ 2008-03-11 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> yes, let me know how you do that leaving from north america.

The train connections are London England, Paris France, Bologna Italy,
Bari Italy, Patras Greece and Athens Greece (see
http://www.seat61.com/Greece.htm )

I found direct flights for each except on expedia from ether JFK or EWR
in New York except for GPA-Patras-Araxos

JFK <> London Heathrow LHR

JFK <> Paris (CDG or ORY) France

JFK  <> Guglielmo Marconi, Bologna, Italy

JFK <> Bari (BRI), Italy

EWR <> Athens, Greece

**I only started looking into it today, so you have all the info I have

* Re: [9fans] next iwp9
@ 2008-03-11 15:00   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2008-03-11 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2008-03-11 15:00 ` maht
From: maht @ 2008-03-11 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

See you all there

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?hloc=GR|volos#t=l&map=38.56906,23.09964|9|4&loc=GR:39.36667:22.94583:14|volos|V%C3%B3los,%20Nom%C3%B3s%20Magnis%C3%ADas

I'm hoping to travel by train rather than plane (carbon bootprint n all
that)

http://www.seat61.com/Greece.htm

If anyone's interested in meeting up on the journey, let me know :)

Matt

> Dear 9fans,
>
> With the initiative of Francisco Ballesteros and
> Sape Mullender, a time and a place have been set
> for the next International Workshop on Plan 9.
>
> IWP9 will be held on October 30 and 31 in Volos, Greece.
> (located by the sea, between Athens and Thessaloniki)
>
> We'll announce the time line for submissions soon,
> as well as the composition of the programme committee.
>
> On behalf of the organizers
>
> Spyros Lalis

* [9fans] next iwp9
@ 2008-03-06 20:07 spyros lalis