* Re: [9fans] iwp9: getting from Atlanta to Athens
       [not found] <<5adb0bef814c529edc24b7ea4e7950c2@terzarima.net>
@ 2009-10-06 18:12 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-10-06 18:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> i suspect there would first be a stop at fry's if it's not too late.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=-&sll=33959379,-84122658&latlng=33959379,-84122658,17156391625355121537

- erik

* Re: [9fans] iwp9: getting from Atlanta to Athens
@ 2009-10-07 15:53   ` Michaelian Ennis
From: Michaelian Ennis @ 2009-10-07 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

http://www.pacificwings.com/gsky/gs/

$89 USD commuter flight round-trip Atlanta - Athens.

ian

* Re: [9fans] iwp9: getting from Atlanta to Athens
@ 2009-10-07 16:05     ` Jeff Sickel
From: Jeff Sickel @ 2009-10-07 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Cheaper than car rental for wed-sat.  That said, I'm arriving
Wednesday morning in Atlanta and have a car lined up if anyone needs a
ride.

-jas

@ 2009-10-07 16:12     ` W B Hacker
From: W B Hacker @ 2009-10-07 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Michaelian Ennis wrote:
> http://www.pacificwings.com/gsky/gs/
>
> $89 USD commuter flight round-trip Atlanta - Athens.
>
> ian

viamichelin.com puts it at 127 km, ~12 Euro for fuel, and 1hr 40 minutes.

Bill

* Re: [9fans] iwp9: getting from Atlanta to Athens
@ 2009-10-18 22:29               ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2009-10-18 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

International arrivals at ATL might be unprepared for the unusual procedure
after immigration, baggage reclaim and customs. Having passed through customs,
you reach a fork in the path with a choice between Atlanta and Transit Passengers.
(I think it was left for Atlanta.) Then there's an extra surprise: you have
to pass through security again! You have to put your checked bags (just retrieved
from baggage reclaim) on a conveyor belt that takes them through the wall.
You'll see them again at another baggage reclaim later.

Because there's a lot of shouting and ordering about at this point,
and it probably all came as a bit of a surprise,
you might make two mistakes: don't put any bags you had on board on the belt (it will
cause the system to stop until they track you down); before you sling your
checked bags onto the belt, be sure to put any liquids you acquired from duty free
into the bags. You can't take them through security! (They might jokingly
suggest you can alternatively drink them there,
but I suspect they won't let you do that.)

What's going on? You're leaving international arrivals by entering the airport on the
secure side for departures, because of construction. You'll take the transit train
to the central baggage reclaim for domestic arrivals, where you can collect your
bags once more.

* Re: [9fans] iwp9: getting from Atlanta to Athens
@ 2009-10-18 22:09             ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2009-10-18 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Oct 12, 2009 at 11:22 PM, ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've confirmed rides with three people, can take no more. You people I
> confirmed rides with get back with me ASAP to double-confirm.
>
> ron

On a similar note: I've just finalized my travel arrangements and will
be arriving at the Atlanta airport at about 14:30 Tuesday. If anyone
is showing up around that time and does not yet have a ride arranged,
I can take a few people; email me off-list. If you have a GPS or a
GPS-capable phone, all the better.

John Floren
--
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing" -- Rob Pike

* Re: [9fans] iwp9: getting from Atlanta to Athens
@ 2009-10-13  3:22           ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2009-10-13  3:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2009-10-13  2:42         ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2009-10-13  2:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

arriving in ATL at 20th 17:20, no sunglasses.

--
cinap

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 5395 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 133 bytes --]

this ought to have been better organised so we could all set off
from the airport at once http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHa_jqxnn4o

[-- Attachment #2.1.2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2798 bytes --]

From: ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] iwp9: getting from Atlanta to Athens
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 22:54:14 +0000

I'll be in around 9pm or so the 20th, if I can give anyone a ride I will.
ron

* Re: [9fans] iwp9: getting from Atlanta to Athens
@ 2009-10-12 11:39       ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2009-10-12 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

this ought to have been better organised so we could all set off
from the airport at once http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHa_jqxnn4o

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2798 bytes --]

From: ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 22:54:14 +0000

@ 2009-10-11 22:54     ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2009-10-11 22:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2009-10-11 17:11   ` Jonas Amoson
From: Jonas Amoson @ 2009-10-11 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I will arrive already on Monday 2009-10-19 15:25. I do have a
driving licence, but it seems odd that a rental car should be
cheaper than the bus. But it's obviously a possibility if some
one is also getting there on Monday. I am returning to Atlanta
on Saturday morning (the flight departs 12:15).

Looking forward to seeing you all!

Jonas

@ 2009-10-11 15:47 ` sqweek
From: sqweek @ 2009-10-11 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2009-10-06 18:10         ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2009-10-06 18:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>[rog] i'd be up for driving, assuming my UK driving license is sufficient.

>[bill]License should be no problem with any of the major rental agencies.

i've never had any trouble, but note that with a UK licence,
if you've got a photocard, you must also produce
the paper part: the `licence' is actually the pair of them together.
that's true in the UK, but US agencies also require it,
at least the major ones.

@ 2009-10-06 17:18       ` W B Hacker
From: W B Hacker @ 2009-10-06 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

roger peppe wrote:
> i'm arriving Atlanta 19:10 on the 20th, leaving 21:45 on the 25th
> in case anyone has similar times and wishes to share.
> i'd be up for driving, assuming my UK driving license is sufficient.
>
>   cheers,
>     rog.

License should be no problem with any of the major rental agencies.

Rules of the road are similar to (most) Continental practice, so you are
probably already accustomed to that.

Bill

@ 2009-10-06 16:37     ` roger peppe
From: roger peppe @ 2009-10-06 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2009-10-06 15:31   ` Iruata Souza
From: Iruata Souza @ 2009-10-06 15:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

       [not found] <<d1c554290910060814t3e2622d7i365d20f45ec1db36@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2009-10-06 15:19 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-10-06 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2009-10-06 15:14   ` Iruata Souza
From: Iruata Souza @ 2009-10-06 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Oct 5, 2009 at 8:46 PM, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> On Mon Oct  5 17:35:11 EDT 2009, me@acm.jhu.edu wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> For those of us traveling to IWP9, what are recommended ways to get
>> from Atlanta to Athens? We were likely going to Atlanta by train...
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -- vs
>
> i've updated the iwp9.org page with a link to a local shuttle.
> the shuttle is pretty expensive, so i think it will be cheeper to
> rent a car.  the holiday inn and hilton garden both have parking
> a go go.
>
> - erik

if anyone want to rent a car, let me know so maybe a few people can
share the expenses.
iru

* Re: [9fans] iwp9: getting from Atlanta to Athens
       [not found] <<f75780240910051433o40e3ba76u204ac4eac6136448@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2009-10-05 23:46 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-10-05 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans