* [9fans] Report on fossil robustness
@ 2010-04-28 13:21 Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2010-04-28 13:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi, all

as i wrote a few days ago, I've had serious problems powering off  fossil
systems booted from a CFlash device (/dev/sdD0).

Fossil - as I verified with a hw write protected CF - always write on
the disk
even if there are no explicit requests in the startup scripts and in the
application.

With slow CF an uncontrolled power off is (almost) always fatal, with HD or
30 MB/sec CF the probability to interrupt a physical write is very low but
(IMHO) not null.

Opening read only (open -r ... in /dev/sdD0/fossil) fossil actually
doesn't write
on the boot device so making the system insensitive to unexpected / repeated
loss of power,  no matter the throughput of the device.

adriano

only message in thread, other threads:[~2010-04-28 13:21 UTC | newest]