* [9fans] off list - Re:  recent plan9.iso on hosted kvm/qemu
@ 2011-03-07 19:38 Stanley Lieber
From: Stanley Lieber @ 2011-03-07 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Jack Norton <jack@0x6a.com> wrote:
> erik quanstrom wrote:

>>> found 7 e8s0 entries
>>>
>>> Then it freezes.
>>
>> it's not the e820 code, then.  it's either falling over initializing the
>> console, or it's falling over probing devices for the .ini file.
>>
>> after e820, 9load starts up the console and probes devices looking
>> for a .ini file.
>>
>> i would think the odds are good that 9load has found an i/o port
>> that should not be touched.  devices are probed in this order
>>        floppy. ether, cd, sd.
>>
>> i don't really have a kvm setup, but if it's possible, you might try
>> removing devices (espeically ethernet devices) from a copy of 9load
>> until you find something that boots, then add 'em back in till it doesn't.
>>
>> sounds tedious, no?  :-)
>>
>> - erik
>>

> Well I've got some other observations of interest.
> As I mentioned, I installed with *noe820scan=1 successfully.
> I was in the middle of configuring and playing around when I realized I had
> no ethernet car.  bind -a '#l' /dev returned 'no free devices'.
>
> The vps has an e1000 card (PRO/1000) plugged into it, so I naively put
> "ether0=type=igbe" in plan9.ini.
> Now it hangs right where 9load would normally say "no ethernet devices
> found" or something similar.
>
> How odd.
>
> -Jack

Sorry if this is a duplicate, but I'm not sure my earlier private e-mail to you
went through.

Do you happen to know who the support staff member is that setup your cron
job? The people in #arpnetworks are not being helpful, and Garry seems unaware
of what you've setup. I'd like to run through some tests myself but I
haven't been
able to scrounge up amd64 hardware to setup my own Ubuntu Jaunty server.

Thanks,

-sl

* Re: [9fans] off list - Re:  recent plan9.iso on hosted kvm/qemu
@ 2011-03-07 19:54 ` Jack Norton
From: Jack Norton @ 2011-03-07 19:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Stanley Lieber wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 12:06 PM, Jack Norton <jack@0x6a.com> wrote:
>> erik quanstrom wrote:

>>> it's not the e820 code, then.  it's either falling over initializing the
>>> console, or it's falling over probing devices for the .ini file.
>>>
>>> after e820, 9load starts up the console and probes devices looking
>>> for a .ini file.
>>>
>>> i would think the odds are good that 9load has found an i/o port
>>> that should not be touched.  devices are probed in this order
>>>        floppy. ether, cd, sd.
>>>
>>> i don't really have a kvm setup, but if it's possible, you might try
>>> removing devices (espeically ethernet devices) from a copy of 9load
>>> until you find something that boots, then add 'em back in till it doesn't.
>>>
>>> sounds tedious, no?  :-)
>>>
>>> - erik
>>>
>> Well I've got some other observations of interest.
>> As I mentioned, I installed with *noe820scan=1 successfully.
>> I was in the middle of configuring and playing around when I realized I had
>> no ethernet car.  bind -a '#l' /dev returned 'no free devices'.
>>
>> The vps has an e1000 card (PRO/1000) plugged into it, so I naively put
>> "ether0=type=igbe" in plan9.ini.
>> Now it hangs right where 9load would normally say "no ethernet devices
>> found" or something similar.
>>
>> How odd.
>>
>> -Jack
>
> Sorry if this is a duplicate, but I'm not sure my earlier private e-mail to you
> went through.
>
> Do you happen to know who the support staff member is that setup your cron
> job? The people in #arpnetworks are not being helpful, and Garry seems unaware
> of what you've setup. I'd like to run through some tests myself but I
> haven't been
> able to scrounge up amd64 hardware to setup my own Ubuntu Jaunty server.
>
> Thanks,
>
> -sl

No problem.  I am in contact with Garry Dolley at Arp networks.  I don't
have his actual email as it is masked by their support mailer.  From
what I can tell, he is only active late in the day and in the evening
(I'm on central time in the US btw).  He seems eager to help and doesn't
mind that I send him numerous emails all day long...
The latest on my side is I've asked for a rtl8139 card instead of the
e1000 (this is mainly motivated by my own qemu setup, which uses the
rtl8139 and works lovely).  I'm also not interested in setting up their
exact kvm setup (partly because I don't want to deal with this libvirt
business -- looks like a hellish nightmare).
In the mean time I am loading a floppy today with 9load from eric and
9atom kernel.  I won't have time to recompile or play with 9load until
later this evening (if that) so I don't think I'll have much else to
report until tomorrow.

-Jack