* [9fans] pull doesn't work due to unavailable sources; travelmate 291LCi specials
@ 2009-01-09 14:17 Rudolf Sykora
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2009-01-09 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello,

I tried to install plan9 on one of my computers and wanted to update
it running 'pull'. However, it doesn't work, perhaps because the home
pages of plan9 at Bell labs don't work. I somehow have a feeling there
are problems with those pages every now and then. Is it so? Why?

May some mirror be used instead?
If yes, what and how do I have to modify so that 'pull' then works?

Also. My computer is Acer Travelmate 291LCi. It has a touchpad (2
buttons) and I want to use a usb mouse. After installation the
touchpad works, but connected external mouse does not. Why? What do I
have to do? There is a message saying something like
'/dev/usb0/1/ep0data does not exists'.
Last, the computer has a 1400x1050 screen, which is somehow not listed
in its Bios table, so that I had to run some program to help it under
linux (something like 855patch ;
http://www.chzsoft.com.ar/855patch.html ; it has a 810i graphics on
board). Is there a chance it would work in plan9? What do I have to
do?

Thanks
Ruda

* Re: [9fans] pull doesn't work due to unavailable sources; travelmate 291LCi specials
@ 2009-01-09 14:34 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-01-09 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> http://www.chzsoft.com.ar/855patch.html ; it has a 810i graphics on
> board). Is there a chance it would work in plan9? What do I have to
> do?

there was a guy around here who worked up
that bios patch for plan 9.  (translated, oddly enough,
from the original oberon.)  i'll try to hunt it down.
i can't currently locate it.  but if it can't be found,
the linux version should be easy enough to translate.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] pull doesn't work due to unavailable sources; travelmate 291LCi specials
@ 2009-01-09 15:00 ` sqweek
From: sqweek @ 2009-01-09 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs; +Cc: 9trouble

On Fri, Jan 9, 2009 at 11:17 PM, Rudolf Sykora <rudolf.sykora@gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried to install plan9 on one of my computers and wanted to update
> it running 'pull'. However, it doesn't work, perhaps because the home
> pages of plan9 at Bell labs don't work. I somehow have a feeling there
> are problems with those pages every now and then. Is it so? Why?

 Yeah, I can't connect to sources at the moment. I get as far as
"post..." and then 9fs blocks.
-sqweek

* Re: [9fans] pull doesn't work due to unavailable sources; travelmate 291LCi specials
@ 2009-01-09 16:37 ` Gabriel Diaz Lopez de la Llave
From: Gabriel Diaz Lopez de la Llave @ 2009-01-09 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello

As soon as the new mirror method mentioned by Geoff becomes the
official way to sync mirrors i will update the 9grid.es mirror and i
will provide the scripts to pull from 9grid.es again

Gabi

@ 2009-01-09 16:51   ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2009-01-09 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Sorry, which new mirror method?

I probably missed that.
We keep a mirror of sources/plan9 and 9grid at sources.lsub.org.

@ 2009-01-09 17:36     ` Gabriel Diaz Lopez de la Llave
From: Gabriel Diaz Lopez de la Llave @ 2009-01-09 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hello

Geoff is working to get a replica/pull set up to mirror /n/sources.

9grid.es stopped mirrorning since this started, and i'm trying from
time to time to use the replica/pull system to mirror sources.

sorry but i can't remember the message on which Geoff talked about this.

gabi

@ 2009-01-09 20:42       ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2009-01-09 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

What was wrong with the old way of doing mirroring with lsr? It worked
quite nicely, and was way more reliable and infinitely faster than
replica.

uriel

@ 2009-01-09 20:54         ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2009-01-09 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

it's not reliable.
I had to fix several things, but the main problem is that
it's not coherent wrt sources. You might end up with incosistent
files, depending on when lsr runs.

I'm using a variant of lsr, but I'm looking forward to a more
coherent way of doing it.

@ 2009-01-09 22:24           ` Nathaniel W Filardo
From: Nathaniel W Filardo @ 2009-01-09 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Jan 09, 2009 at 09:54:02PM +0100, Francisco J Ballesteros wrote:
> it's not reliable.
> I had to fix several things, but the main problem is that
> it's not coherent wrt sources. You might end up with incosistent
> files, depending on when lsr runs.
>
> I'm using a variant of lsr, but I'm looking forward to a more
> coherent way of doing it.

I am still missing something (and did not get a response on an earlier
attempt at asking a slightly different question), but... why doesn't sources
  1) allow read-only access to its backing venti to the Internet at large
  2) nightly run a full vac job against the nightly dump [1] as none [2] and
  3) publish the score so derived? [3]

This makes "venti/copy -f" an excellent mirroring mechanism; mirrors would
be only very slightly lagged from the official sources (see [1]), and it
would seem to have only very modest bandwidth requirements relative to full
tree traversal.

If this an acceptable mechanism (I don't see anything wrong with it, but
I've been wrong before), I'd be very happy if somebody seeded the system
with the dumps already taken.

[1] And/or snapshots.  Those would work just as well, be just as coherent,
    and be more frequent in case nightly crawls aren't good enough.
[2] Running as none means that only world-readable files get included in the
    published capabilities.  Presumably that's exactly the class that would
    be mirrored.
[3] A vac archive generated by merging each run's vac output, say, with the
    last run's root score published at the root of sources?

Thanks much.
--nwf;

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 204 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] pull doesn't work due to unavailable sources; travelmate 291LCi specials
@ 2009-01-16  9:28             ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2009-01-16  9:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello list,

--- so is there any place where I could read how to set up my usb
mouse, step by step? (As I mentioned, now my touchpad works but mouse
-- Genius NetScroll EYE/USB -- does not.)

--- whatabout sound? Does anybody have Realtek AC97 audio working?

--- Video Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME --- hopefully will work with those
patches mentioned by E. Quanstrom :) (thanks)

--- finally wifi: Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI adapter? (I
couldn't find anything about this...)

Thank you
Ruda

@ 2009-01-28 13:48               ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2009-01-28 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2009/1/16 Rudolf Sykora <rudolf.sykora@gmail.com>:
> Hello list,
>
> --- so is there any place where I could read how to set up my usb
> mouse, step by step? (As I mentioned, now my touchpad works but mouse
> -- Genius NetScroll EYE/USB -- does not.)
>
> --- whatabout sound? Does anybody have Realtek AC97 audio working?
>
> --- Video Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME --- hopefully will work with those
> patches mentioned by E. Quanstrom :) (thanks)
>
> --- finally wifi: Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI adapter? (I
> couldn't find anything about this...)
>
> Thank you
> Ruda
>

>> Also. My computer is Acer Travelmate 291LCi.

Well, still no one can say a word?
I made several attempts to set up my mouse, but those were all futile...
And I need a mouse in this mouse-centric system, my touchpad has only 2 buttons.
Can it be so that both, a touchpad (behaves I guess as a ps2 device)
and a usb mouse work at the same time?

Secondly, is there any chance the wifi I have would work? What should
I read in order to know how to proceed?

@ 2009-01-28 13:53                 ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2009-01-28 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Just noticed this mail.

Did you try with usb/kb ?
Does it have problems handling your mouse?

In general, usbstart should do the thing for you.

@ 2009-01-28 14:58                   ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2009-01-28 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Did you try with usb/kb ?
> Does it have problems handling your mouse?
>
> In general, usbstart should do the thing for you.

Well, now I am booted to windows, being at home. When I reboot to
plan9 I have neither a mouse nor the internet connection. So I can
only reply from windows and any attempt and respond means a reboot. I
would appreciate any advice in the form: look there (on Linux usu some
logs, dmesg...) and see what's there.

For the start, I haven't changed my /bin/termrc, and there is a line
saying usbstart, for sure.
If that line worked, would it mean that both the touchpad and the
mouse would work?

@ 2009-01-28 15:19                     ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2009-01-28 15:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The mouse if it's USB and you have a kernel with USB. Is that the case?

@ 2009-01-28 15:21                 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2009-01-28 15:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

you mention the touchpad - I guess this is a ps2 device rather than a usb one
(though I may be wrong). You should be able to start that using
mouse=ps2 in your plan9.ini.

> --- whatabout sound? Does anybody have Realtek AC97 audio working?

There are two ac97 drivers written independently, I believe there are links
on the wiki to them.

> --- Video Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME
Did you get this to work?
If not in native mode then in vesa mode?

> --- finally wifi: Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI adapter? (I
> couldn't find anything about this...)

I think this is a centrino device - if so there is an unfinished driver
in russ's contrib dir on sources.

sorry this is not very much help, but its a start. If you are willing to
start working on merging the audio drivers or finishing the centrino one
I'am sure there will be people willing to advise and maybe help.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] pull doesn't work due to unavailable sources; travelmate  291LCi specials
@ 2009-01-28 15:34                       ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2009-01-28 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2009/1/28 Francisco J Ballesteros <nemo@lsub.org>:
> The mouse if it's USB and you have a kernel with USB. Is that the case?

The mouse is a usb one for sure.
I believe the kernel is with USB, but how can I say for sure?

* Re: [9fans] pull doesn't work due to unavailable sources; travelmate  291LCi specials
@ 2009-01-28 16:13                         ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2009-01-28 16:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Try to see if you can list #U
If you can't that's the problem.
You also need kbin. Perhaps looking at /dev/drivers is easier to see
if you have both.

If you can you might run USB/kb by hand to see if that works.

@ 2009-01-28 16:25                           ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2009-01-28 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

In relation to this:
in Install mode on the Plan 9 ISO, my
USB keyboard is usable, but my
USB mouse does not function
(cause the pointer to move).

Is this normal?

ak

* Re: [9fans] pull doesn't work due to unavailable sources; travelmate  291LCi specials
@ 2009-01-28 16:28                             ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2009-01-28 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

can happen. Depends on how you start USB kb

@ 2009-01-28 16:31                               ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2009-01-28 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2009/1/28 Francisco J Ballesteros <nemo@lsub.org>:
> can happen. Depends on how you start USB kb

I don't -- that part was automagic.

* Re: [9fans] pull doesn't work due to unavailable sources; travelmate  291LCi specials
@ 2009-01-28 16:34                           ` Rudolf Sykora
From: Rudolf Sykora @ 2009-01-28 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2009/1/28 Francisco J Ballesteros <nemo@lsub.org>:
> Try to see if you can list #U

I can list #U, I get many items listed.

> If you can't that's the problem.
> You also need kbin. Perhaps looking at /dev/drivers is easier to see
> if you have both.

Looking in the /dev/drivers file I again can see #U. I can't see
'kbin' or anything alike there. Nonetheless, I can see 'kbdin' and
'kbmap' files in the output of 'lc #U'.

> If you can you might run USB/kb by hand to see if that works.

Running 'usb/kb' says nothing and returns a prompt.
Mouse does not move.

* Re: [9fans] pull doesn't work due to unavailable sources; travelmate  291LCi specials
@ 2009-01-28 16:51                             ` Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2009-01-28 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Try running it with debug enabled. Also. Sorry. Mouse does not require kbin.

@ 2009-01-28 18:20                   ` Dave Eckhardt
From: Dave Eckhardt @ 2009-01-28 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> There are two ac97 drivers written independently, I believe there
> are links on the wiki to them.

The one written by CMU students has been tested on a bunch
of Intel hardware and knows how to work around busted
motherboards which don't clock samples at the right rate
(apparently this was popular at some point).

The other one has better code quality, and will try to run
on more chips, but it's not clear how many of them it has
been tested on.

If somebody has time to do a merge, that would be great.
I still have handy one of the machines with busted clocking.

Dave Eckhardt

* Re: [9fans] pull doesn't work due to unavailable sources; travelmate  291LCi specials
@ 2009-02-06  7:26                     ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2009-02-06  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

2009/1/28 Dave Eckhardt <davide+p9@cs.cmu.edu>:
> The one written by CMU students has been tested on a bunch
> of Intel hardware and knows how to work around busted
> motherboards which don't clock samples at the right rate
> (apparently this was popular at some point).
>
> The other one has better code quality, and will try to run
> on more chips, but it's not clear how many of them it has
> been tested on.
>
> If somebody has time to do a merge, that would be great.
> I still have handy one of the machines with busted clocking.

Ah, I might be able to get to this in the following weeks.
Let me know if you have any updates.

Thanks,
ak