* [9fans] Problem Installing Hellaphone on Nexus S
@ 2011-10-17  9:43 Jesper Vesterberg
From: Jesper Vesterberg @ 2011-10-17  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

It seems the script created boot-inferno.img is no good, after i push
it over neither
android nor inferno wanna boot. The inferno bit is less suprising, since i
haven't built it and pushed /data/inferno over. Android on the other
hand is.

I am using the cyanogen mod 7.1 and if i click the white screen the
phone just get stuck on the loading screen. I've formated the sdcard,
boot, system, data and cache partitions aswell before installing
(flashing if you like)
the cyanogen mod. Then ran the script with mkbootimg, fastboot and adb
installed on the machine i ran the script on.

phone model
Nexus S i9023 (EU)

-jvg

* Re: [9fans] Problem Installing Hellaphone on Nexus S
@ 2011-10-17 17:17 ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2011-10-17 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

At Mon, 17 Oct 2011 11:43:11 +0200,
Jesper Vesterberg wrote:

> It seems the script created boot-inferno.img is no good, after i push
> it over neither
> android nor inferno wanna boot. The inferno bit is less suprising, since i
> haven't built it and pushed /data/inferno over. Android on the other
> hand is.
>
> I am using the cyanogen mod 7.1 and if i click the white screen the
> phone just get stuck on the loading screen. I've formated the sdcard,
> boot, system, data and cache partitions aswell before installing
> (flashing if you like)
> the cyanogen mod. Then ran the script with mkbootimg, fastboot and adb
> installed on the machine i ran the script on.
>
> phone model
> Nexus S i9023 (EU)
>
> -jvg

Why would you try to flash the Inferno stuff to your phone when you
haven't even built Inferno yet?

Anyway, without more information, I can't help much. I don't think
there's much difference between the i9023 and the i9020a (which is
what we used to test), so it should work. Were there any error
messages when you ran Reflash-Nexus-S.sh?

Can you re-format everything and install Cyanogenmod? Then, push over
the Inferno stuff and test it *without* running the reflash
script. You shouldn't have to build Inferno yourself, you can just
download https://bitbucket.org/floren/inferno/downloads/hellaphone.tgz
and copy that over. Then copy the .so files in android/audio/ to
/system/lib on the phone and copy android/audio/mediaserver-inferno to
/system/bin. Then, run this:

linux% adb shell
# stop zygote
# stop mediaserver
# /system/bin/mediaserver-inferno
# /data/inferno/Android/arm/bin/emu-g
; wm/wm

If that works, we can move on to the next step, getting it
installed. Your chances should be very good because we did a lot of
our development for Nexus S phones and they definitely got the most
polish.

I hope the other 9fans don't mind if I keep this on the list--it's a
reasonable way to archive this kind of information. Nothing is more
annoying that googling a problem and only coming up with emails saying
"Yes, I figured this problem out, email me off-list and I'll tell
you".

John

* Re: [9fans] Problem Installing Hellaphone on Nexus S
@ 2011-10-17 21:05   ` Jesper Vesterberg
From: Jesper Vesterberg @ 2011-10-17 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Floren; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I started of with fixing cyanogenmod then i went on and thought i
might just aswell
start with the inferno-boot.img, might been a weird approach esp. since i can
see if the system works without the boot image to start with. Didn't thought it
matter what way i went on about, but i might surely be misstaken.

It was no errors when i ran the script in the end. At first it
complained that i
didn't have mkbootimg(doesn't seem to ship with android-sdk on linux anymore)
and cpio. But when that was sorted the script went on without complaining.

I reformated everything and re-installed cyanogenmod, then pushed the archive
over, extracted it, copied the audio libs and mediaserver-inferno to the places
you specified. But i wasn't able to run any commands
after the command "/system/bin/mediaserver-inferno"
I suspected it was supposed to act like such since mediaserver does, so i
tried "/system/bin/mediaserver-inferno &", "start
/system/bin/mediaserver-inferno" and
i even let it run in one "adb shell" session, then i started another
and ran "/data/inferno/Android/arm/bin/emu-g".

But when i ran "/data/inferno/Android/arm/bin/emu-g" the only output
in the adb shell was
"read ro.product.device = crespo", then the screen on the nexus S lit up and the
phone froze. This happen even if i tried it without starting the
mediaserver-inferno.

-jvg

ps.
Of what i know, the only diffrence between the phones is that the
i9020 is suppose to have the amoled screen
while the i9023 has the super clear lcd screen. Don't know if that
would matter though.

@ 2011-10-17 21:24     ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2011-10-17 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jesper Vesterberg; +Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Well, to start with, I'm an idiot. The commands should look like this:

# stop zygote
# stop media
# /system/bin/mediaserver-inferno &
# /data/inferno/Android/arm/bin/emu-g

There's no such service as "mediaserver", but the "stop" command sure
won't tell you that! When I actually went in and tested the original
commands, sure enough it hung right where you said. Try the ones above
and let me know how it works.

John