* [9fans] snapshots
@ 2003-09-04  1:48 Christopher Nielsen
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2003-09-04  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I ran a snap -a on my fileserver before leaving on a
trip, hoping it would be done when I returned. Now
that I have returned, I do not see a fingerprint in
the logs, nor are the disks still spinning. That makes
me think that it didn't complete. Also, I cannot
connect to the fileserver.

If I reboot, will I lose all the data in the fossil
write cache and/or the venti snapshot?

--
Christopher Nielsen
"They who can give up essential liberty for temporary

* Re: [9fans] snapshots
@ 2003-09-04  2:26 ` mirtchov
From: mirtchov @ 2003-09-04  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

no, fossil is very good at suffering reboots (assuming something has gotten to fossil, but otherwise you wouldn't have a running system, right!?)

try mounting fossil's snapshot and archive again and see if they're alive and well, try connecting to the console (con -l /srv/fscons, if you've followed the wiki instructions closely) -- the vac score may be buffered there still. 9fs dump doesn't show you anything?

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3710 bytes --]

From: Christopher Nielsen <cnielsen@pobox.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: [9fans] snapshots
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 18:48:02 -0700

@ 2003-09-04  8:02 ` Fco.J.Ballesteros
From: Fco.J.Ballesteros @ 2003-09-04  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I don't think you will loose any data; anyway, is the console
alive? I'm wondering what happen to your machine.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2238 bytes --]

From: Christopher Nielsen <cnielsen@pobox.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 18:48:02 -0700

@ 2003-09-04 21:00   ` Christopher Nielsen
From: Christopher Nielsen @ 2003-09-04 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Everything is fine. Somehow, everything rebooted while I
was gone -- probably a power outage. I normally run clog
to capture the fossil console, but it doesn't get restarted
on boot. I have the vac score.

Thanks for the help.