* [9fans] It seems Plan 9 is on Hacker News
@ 2012-08-18  3:57 Matthew Veety
From: Matthew Veety @ 2012-08-18  3:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4397390

For what it's worth, our beloved operating system is on Hacker News.

--
Veety

* Re: [9fans] It seems Plan 9 is on Hacker News
@ 2012-08-18  5:03 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2012-08-18  5:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4397390

I like presotto's comment.

* Re: [9fans] It seems Plan 9 is on Hacker News
@ 2012-08-18  8:55   ` Nick LaForge
From: Nick LaForge @ 2012-08-18  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Oh yeah, already a comment about the GUI 'sucking'!  A bit more
fortitude is in order, right?  Even if the status quo is to be a WIMP?
 Regardless, it takes a lazy dilettante to complain in this manner
about a research system (an incredibly malleable one, to boot).  It
also seems that rio's simplicity wasn't sufficient a hint that
replacing it might be simple too.

On 8/17/12, andrey mirtchovski <mirtchovski@gmail.com> wrote:
>> http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4397390
>
> I like presotto's comment.

* Re: [9fans] It seems Plan 9 is on Hacker News
@ 2012-08-18 13:56     ` Kurt H Maier
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2012-08-18 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 01:55:15AM -0700, Nick LaForge wrote:
> Oh yeah, already a comment about the GUI 'sucking'!  A bit more
> fortitude is in order, right?

The thing you have to remember about "hacker news" is that nothing
posted there is news and none of the people who frequent it are hackers.

"Web Developer with an Unwarranted Sense of Self-Importance" just
doesn't roll off the tongue quite as readily as "hacker," just like
"link-dump and self promotion" doesn't have the same ring as "news."

* Re: [9fans] It seems Plan 9 is on Hacker News
@ 2012-08-18 14:31       ` Aram Hăvărneanu
       [not found]       ` <CAEAzY3-RhKsEEGcCkFQaJ09gfO2zND_qxFoybsThKVQ+iDKg-w@mail.gmail.c>
From: Aram Hăvărneanu @ 2012-08-18 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> The thing you have to remember about "hacker news" is that nothing
> posted there is news and none of the people who frequent it are hackers.

The original name of Hacker News was unsurprisingly Startup News.

Not how do we punish John Floren for this statement :-)?

  POSIX defines a pretty good framework, which is why Plan 9 is POSIX-ish.

--
Aram Hăvărneanu

@ 2012-08-18 14:37         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-08-18 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Not how do we punish John Floren for this statement :-)?
>
>   POSIX defines a pretty good framework, which is why Plan 9 is POSIX-ish.

i'd have to say that posix is unixish, and plan 9 is a follow on to unix,
so it's not surprising that many of the system calls have survived, if not
unscathed.  but it's a sibling (or, if you're a positive thinker, distant
cousin, once removed) relationship not a parent child relationship.

- erik

@ 2012-08-18 17:23       ` Matthew Veety
From: Matthew Veety @ 2012-08-18 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Aug 18, 2012, at 9:56 AM, Kurt H Maier <khm-9@intma.in> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 01:55:15AM -0700, Nick LaForge wrote:
>> Oh yeah, already a comment about the GUI 'sucking'!  A bit more
>> fortitude is in order, right?
>
> The thing you have to remember about "hacker news" is that nothing
> posted there is news and none of the people who frequent it are hackers.
>
> "Web Developer with an Unwarranted Sense of Self-Importance" just
> doesn't roll off the tongue quite as readily as "hacker," just like
> "link-dump and self promotion" doesn't have the same ring as "news."

That's why I go on there. It's so entertaining reading so many dick-size competitions in one place. I do have to say though, there are some occasional gems regarding golang on there (which I find *really* surprising).

--
Veety

* Re: [9fans] It seems Plan 9 is on Hacker News
@ 2012-08-20  8:48 ` Balwinder S Dheeman
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Balwinder S Dheeman @ 2012-08-20  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 08/18/2012 09:27 AM, Matthew Veety wrote:
> http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=4397390
>
> For what it's worth, our beloved operating system is on Hacker News.

The system as a whole is likely to feel tantalizingly familiar to Unix®
users but at the same time quite foreign, because it indeed is not a Unix.

9P2000 (aka 9P) is a network protocol developed at Bell Labs for the
Plan 9 from Bell Labs distributed operating system as the means of
accessing and manipulating resources and applications transparently in a
distributed environment. 9P works both as a distributed file system and
as a network transparent and language agnostic 'API'.

Though Plan 9 does not have office productivity suites, relational
databases, and, or even a decent web browser like Chromium, or Firefox,
modren C++ compiler, good GUI tool-kit or widgets and essential drivers
for AHCI, Bluetooth, WiFi, WiMAX and USB devices and a fully fuctional
IPv6 networking as yet, but it certainly is an example of a clean,
efficient, compact and monolithic kernel and distributed operating
system environment which provides a native light weight window system
rio, shell rc, text editor sam and versatile tools like acme, a user
interface, plumber, a mechanism for interprocess communication and acid,
a scriptable debugger for programmers, all in very small footprint.

--
Balwinder S "bdheeman" Dheeman
(http://werc.homelinux.net/contact/)

* Re: [9fans] It seems Plan 9 is on Hacker News
@ 2012-08-20  9:22   ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2012-08-20  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

ahci works. richard miller wrote a bluetooth stack. wifi and usb
just need more drivers. ipv6 is supported.

--
cinap

* Re: [9fans] It seems Plan 9 is on Hacker News
@ 2012-08-20  9:23   ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2012-08-20  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

theres also a commercial c++ compiler if you really need one.

http://www.comeaucomputing.com/

--
cinap

* Re: [9fans] It seems Plan 9 is on Hacker News
@ 2012-08-20 10:37     ` hiro
From: hiro @ 2012-08-20 10:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

"decent web browser" is an oxymoron.

* Re: [9fans] It seems Plan 9 is on Hacker News
@ 2012-08-20 12:25   ` Jack Norton
From: Jack Norton @ 2012-08-20 12:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 8/20/2012 3:48 AM, Balwinder S Dheeman wrote:
> office productivity suites, relational
> databases, and, or even a decent web browser like Chromium, or Firefox,
> modren C++ compiler, good GUI tool-kit or widgets

These all have an "all useful features" version on plan9 called catclock.