* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi: keyboard layout
@ 2012-12-03  0:57 Erik Quanstrom
From: Erik Quanstrom @ 2012-12-03  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I'd guess the kernel doesn't have that device built in.

- erik

@ 2012-12-03  1:05 ` Murray Colpman
From: Murray Colpman @ 2012-12-03  1:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks. Is it likely to be in some form of module, then (does Plan 9
have those?) that I have to manually load, or would I have to recompile
the whole kernel to get it?

In /sys/src/9/port/ there is a devkbmap.c so presumably I would want to
make sure that file gets compiled in. If I will need to recompile the
kernel, is /sys/src/9/port actually the source for the kernel that is
included in the distribution? How do I configure the kernel to include
this part?

Thanks,
Murray Colpman.

@ 2012-12-04 14:10       ` Christian Neukirchen
From: Christian Neukirchen @ 2012-12-04 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

9fans@hamnavoe.com (Richard Miller) writes:

>> Do you plan to provide a pull-able version of your tree?
>
> The bcm2835 kernel may go into the standard distribution eventually
> (as /sys/src/9/bcm).  Replica/pull is a bit problematic at present
> because the arm binaries aren't being built on sources, and the
> default /dist/replica/network will pull in all the 386 binaries
> which you might not want.

The SD card is big enough, so I don't worry about that.
I understand that I have to build the stuff myself, then.

--
Christian Neukirchen  <chneukirchen@gmail.com>  http://chneukirchen.org

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi: keyboard layout
@ 2012-12-04  2:41               ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-12-04  2:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> contrib/* doesn't distinguish between archs.  One suggestion
> is to enhance contrib/*. Probably best for the contrib author
> to do this (or provide directions) but I am thinking something
> along these lines:
>
> - when installing or pulling changes, build things locally if
>   $objtype specific binaries don't exist in the package.  And
>   don't pull binaries for other archs (unless explicitly asked
>   for).
>
> - when creating or pushing changes, try to push binaries for
>   all the archs locallly (cross) compiled.
>
> - when listing don't show packages known to be broken for
>   $objtype arch. Probably best to add config/broken and
>   config/fixed.

sure, that works.  i'd almost rather have an install script
that does the building for you.  but for now i've updated
all my contrib packages to include 386/amd64/arm.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi: keyboard layout
@ 2012-12-04  1:52             ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2012-12-04  1:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 13:38:09 CST Chris Wilson <christopher.j.wilson@gmail.com>  wrote:
> On Dec 3, 2012, at 11:00 AM, Richard Miller wrote:
>
> >> Do you have
> >> some sort of site where I would be able to find out when you upload new
> >> images?
> >
> > Nothing formal - you can check the modified date of the image file in
> > /n/sources/contrib/miller to see if it's changed.  The official install
> > and update mechanism for Plan 9 at present is a bit x86 dependent.
> > Eventually I hope arm systems in general will become more integrated.
>
> If there is anything that myself, fairly noobish that I am, can do to help,
> let me know. Great work on the Pi image! I've been loving it.

Not sure this is for newbies but...

@ 2012-12-03 19:38           ` Chris Wilson
From: Chris Wilson @ 2012-12-03 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2012-12-03 17:00         ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2012-12-03 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2012-12-03 16:48       ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2012-12-03 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2012-12-03 16:44       ` Murray Colpman
From: Murray Colpman @ 2012-12-03 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 03/12/12 09:42, Richard Miller wrote:
> Sorry, I'll add kbmap to the standard config file.

Thanks a lot! Very nice work with the image, by the way. Do you have
some sort of site where I would be able to find out when you upload new
images? Or do you post to this list? All I could find are pages by
others linking to the image on your space on the Bell Labs site.

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi: keyboard layout
@ 2012-12-03 16:23     ` Christian Neukirchen
From: Christian Neukirchen @ 2012-12-03 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2012-12-03  9:42     ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2012-12-03  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2012-12-03  2:10     ` Christopher Wilson
From: Christopher Wilson @ 2012-12-03  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I seem to remember that there is already a dvorak key map somewhere in Plan
9. I was able to just use it.
On Dec 2, 2012 7:34 PM, "Murray Colpman" <muzerakascooby@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 03/12/12 01:08, Bakul Shah wrote:
> > On Mon, 03 Dec 2012 00:45:29 GMT Murray Colpman <
> muzerakascooby@gmail.com>  wrote:
> >> When I run the kbmap program, attempting to set a map flashes up an
> >> error about not being able to find /dev/kbmap. Looking at the manpages,
> >> it seems that /dev/kbmap is supposed to be brought in with bind -a
> >> '#kappa' /dev (with kappa obviously replaced with the actual kappa
> >> letter). I did snarf the kappa from the manpage, and I also tried typing
> >> it on the keyboard in various ways (compose, *, k for instance), so I
> >> don't think that the issue is that I'm unable to type kappa correctly.
> >> Anyway, when I run this bind command, I get "bind: #kappa: unknown
> >> device in # filename" (again, kappa replaced with the actual kappa).
> >
> > You need to compile the driver in.  Add
> >       kbmap
> > to the dev section in config file /sys/src/9/bcm/pi.  mk and
> > then copy 9pi to the dos partition.
> >
> >       dossrv -f /dev/sdM0/dos
> >       mount -c /sv/dos /n/dos
> >       cp /sys/src/9/bcm/9pi /n/dos/9pi
> >       fshalt
> >
> Thank you very much for the instructions!
>
> Just tried it, kbmap now works perfectly, and I have now set the
> keyboard map in my lib/profile. It all works :D - now I just have to
> hack together a UK Dvorak - the map files look easy enough to fiddle
> with. I'll do this tomorrow as I should really be sleeping now, though.
>
> Thanks a lot!
> Murray Colpman.

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi: keyboard layout
@ 2012-12-03  1:33   ` Murray Colpman
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Murray Colpman @ 2012-12-03  1:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs