* [9fans] xen bit-rot
@ 2007-05-16 18:28 Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2007-05-16 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

There has been a new release of xen (3.0.4) and some changes to the
Plan 9 kernel which had stopped /n/sources/xen/xen3 from compiling.
I've brought it up to date again, and also removed the
"restart='never'" line from the example Plan 9 domain config files,
because the 3.0.4 xen daemon seems to object to it.

I've kept the source backwards compatible, so it will still compile
with xen 3.0.2 or 3.0.3 headers as well.

-- Richard

* Re: [9fans] xen bit-rot
@ 2007-05-16 18:35 ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2007-05-16 18:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I've brought it up to date again, and also removed the
> "restart='never'" line from the example Plan 9 domain config files,
> because the 3.0.4 xen daemon seems to object to it.

Who said Plan 9 is dying?

Actually, my suggestion to Ron Minnich was to reverse the tables on
Xen by putting Plan 9 in Dom 0 and offering Plan 9-like device drivers
via Xen to paravirtualized kernels so that all Open Source kernels
would have a sensible basis to work from.

Redirecting all device driver development towards the Plan 9 model
ought to make a huge, positive difference to the end result.

++L

* Re: [9fans] xen bit-rot
@ 2007-05-16 18:55   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-05-16 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 5/16/07, lucio@proxima.alt.za <lucio@proxima.alt.za> wrote:

> Redirecting all device driver development towards the Plan 9 model
> ought to make a huge, positive difference to the end result.

you first :-)

ron

* Re: [9fans] xen bit-rot
@ 2007-05-16 19:06     ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2007-05-16 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> Redirecting all device driver development towards the Plan 9 model
>> ought to make a huge, positive difference to the end result.
>
> you first :-)

Fair call.  But Xen is so slippery...

++L