* [9fans] "No such FAT partition" error on setup
@ 2001-11-20  9:38 Matt Senecal
From: Matt Senecal @ 2001-11-20  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

When installing onto a '486 terminal, I get the following
error message at boot:

PBS...Plan 9 From Bell Labs
ELCR: 0000
Using fd0!dos!plan9.ini
<<Hard drives listed here>>
no such FAT partition fd0!dos

I'm then given the option of selecting my boot device.

Does anyone know what might be causing this error? The disk I made was
from an image downloaded from Bell Labs. I've checked the integrity of
the disk, and it's in (supposedly) perfect shape.

* [9fans] Update: Valiant but vain efforts
@ 2001-11-20 18:27 ` Matt Senecal
From: Matt Senecal @ 2001-11-20 18:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I first tried re-formatting and re-partitioning the two hard drives attached
to the system. That didn't work. I verified both disks the long way, and
they both check out.

I copied the files from the installation floppy to both HDs, booted from the
installation floppy, and when prompted to select my boot device, tried
booting from both drives (fdC0!dos!plan9.gz, fdC0!dos!plan9.ini, etc.).
Still no go.

Any other ideas?

The system in question is a '486 AMD with 48MB RAM, a 350MB HD, a 160MB HD
(contains Plan 9 installation files, will be removed after installation), NE
2000 NIC, SB16 Value, some kind of I/O card, and a Cirrus Logic VESA Video
card (the exact model escapes me).

"Matt Senecal" <msenecal@logicon.com> wrote in message
> When installing onto a '486 terminal, I get the following
> error message at boot:
>
> PBS...Plan 9 From Bell Labs
> ELCR: 0000
> Using fd0!dos!plan9.ini
> <<Hard drives listed here>>
> no such FAT partition fd0!dos
>
> I'm then given the option of selecting my boot device.
>
> Does anyone know what might be causing this error? The disk I made was
> from an image downloaded from Bell Labs. I've checked the integrity of
> the disk, and it's in (supposedly) perfect shape.

* Re: [9fans] Update: Valiant but vain efforts
@ 2001-11-20 20:09   ` Martin Harriss
From: Martin Harriss @ 2001-11-20 20:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

How many floppy drives does this system have?  If you have more than
one, try disabling in the BIOS all but the one you are trying to install
from.

Martin

@ 2001-11-21 10:07     ` Matt Senecal
From: Matt Senecal @ 2001-11-21 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll try it tonight.

It technically has two drives: one of those dual drives that takes up only
one bay but has both a 3.5" and 5.25" drive in it.

* Re: [9fans] Update: Valiant but vain efforts
@ 2001-11-22  9:56     ` Matt Senecal
From: Matt Senecal @ 2001-11-22  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Worked! Thanks!