* [9fans] Raspberry Pi/Qemu Networking Problems
@ 2013-09-07  1:40 Sean Hinchee
From: Sean Hinchee @ 2013-09-07  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've just touched the surface of Plan 9 and am trying to get networking
functional. In Qemu and on the Pi my /net/iproute is virtually the same
( http://i.imgur.com/Yv7xnNS.png ). The image is the Qemu and the Pi is
the same except it is missing the 10* and 0* entries. ip/ipconfig
returns a DHCP failure on both, and 'ndb/dns -r' returns a 'can't read
my ip address error'.

I have been informed for Qemu I have to bridge and tap, I am going off
of ( http://toast.djw.org.uk/qemu.html ) as I do not have
qemu-bridge-helper. For the Pi I'm not sure what I should be doing. The
router is acting as a wired switch and in port 1 I have a tower that is
bridging its internet, DNS, and running a DHCP server. The router's
server is disabled, and I made sure their ip's are not conflicting. The
Pi does not seem to get that far at least because it can't ping the
router (192.168.1.1) nor the tower (192.168.1.101).

I'm stuck and looking for help with this new environment, I'm very
familiar with Linux and hand configuring it, but this is vastly different.

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi/Qemu Networking Problems
@ 2013-09-07  2:45 ` Bakul Shah
From: Bakul Shah @ 2013-09-07  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, 06 Sep 2013 20:40:26 CDT Sean Hinchee <henesy.dev@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've just touched the surface of Plan 9 and am trying to get networking
> functional. In Qemu and on the Pi my /net/iproute is virtually the same
> ( http://i.imgur.com/Yv7xnNS.png ). The image is the Qemu and the Pi is
> the same except it is missing the 10* and 0* entries. ip/ipconfig
> returns a DHCP failure on both, and 'ndb/dns -r' returns a 'can't read
> my ip address error'.

On the Pi do this:

c:
cd /n/c
cp cmdline-term.txt cmdline.txt
fshalt -r

This will run ip/ipconfig on reboot. See if this works.

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi/Qemu Networking Problems
@ 2013-09-07  3:00   ` Sean Hinchee
From: Sean Hinchee @ 2013-09-07  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 09/06/2013 09:45 PM, Bakul Shah wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Sep 2013 20:40:26 CDT Sean Hinchee <henesy.dev@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've just touched the surface of Plan 9 and am trying to get networking
>> functional. In Qemu and on the Pi my /net/iproute is virtually the same
>> ( http://i.imgur.com/Yv7xnNS.png ). The image is the Qemu and the Pi is
>> the same except it is missing the 10* and 0* entries. ip/ipconfig
>> returns a DHCP failure on both, and 'ndb/dns -r' returns a 'can't read
>> my ip address error'.
> On the Pi do this:
>
> c:
> cd /n/c
> cp cmdline-term.txt cmdline.txt
> fshalt -r
>
> This will run ip/ipconfig on reboot. See if this works.

I have consolidated into my cmdline.txt it reads:
readparts=1 nvram=#S/sdM0/nvram bootargs=local!#S/sdM0/fossil
nobootprompt=local kbargs=-b ipconfig=

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi/Qemu Networking Problems
@ 2013-09-07  8:48     ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2013-09-07  8:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I have consolidated into my cmdline.txt it reads:
> readparts=1 nvram=#S/sdM0/nvram bootargs=local!#S/sdM0/fossil
> nobootprompt=local kbargs=-b ipconfig=

I hope this is actually all on one line (the pi boot firmware only reads
the first line of cmdline.txt).

You can try bypassing dhcp and configuring everything explicitly with
something like this:

... ipconfig='-g 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.42 255.255.255.0' DNSSERVER=192.168.1.101

* Re: [9fans] Raspberry Pi/Qemu Networking Problems
@ 2013-09-07 14:02       ` Sean Hinchee
From: Sean Hinchee @ 2013-09-07 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 09/07/2013 03:48 AM, Richard Miller wrote:
>> I have consolidated into my cmdline.txt it reads:
>> readparts=1 nvram=#S/sdM0/nvram bootargs=local!#S/sdM0/fossil
>> nobootprompt=local kbargs=-b ipconfig=
> I hope this is actually all on one line (the pi boot firmware only reads
> the first line of cmdline.txt).
>
> You can try bypassing dhcp and configuring everything explicitly with
> something like this:
>
> ... ipconfig='-g 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.42 255.255.255.0' DNSSERVER=192.168.1.101

It is on one line, yes. I got the Pi pinging the router and the other
computer was able to ping the pi. The problem now is that the bridge
doesn't seem to work. I'll be looking into it as I probably just
configured it wrong.