* [9fans] 9p specification: minimum number of fids?
@ 2011-07-30 19:44 smiley
From: smiley @ 2011-07-30 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

So, I've read the specification of the 9P protocol in section 5 of the
Plan 9 manual.  However, the specification does not state how many fids
a 9P server is required to support.  Is there a minimum number of fids
that a server is required to track?  Is this specified in the latest
version of the 9P spec?

I'm wondering about this because, once upon a time, I was toying with
the idea of creating 9P client/server implementations for the Arduino
family of microcontrollers.  Being extremely limited in the amount of
memory available, I'd have to choose an upper limit on the number of
fids such an implementation would track.

* Re: [9fans] 9p specification: minimum number of fids?
@ 2011-07-30 21:57 ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2011-07-30 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

the value of a fid is a 32-bit number, but a server will typically
have a practical upper limit on how many distinct values it can track,
limited for instance by memory.
in your Arduino case, a dozen or so would normally be plenty,
and the server can reject Tattach,Tauth, and Twalk requests with an error
if it couldn't handle a client's declaration of a new fid, so it would
fail gracefully without disrupting current communications.