* [9fans] Summer of Code as Thou Wilt
@ 2013-11-17 23:07 Pete
From: Pete @ 2013-11-17 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

As you may recall, MycroftIV announced earlier this year the Summer of
Code as Thou Wilt ( http://9fans.net/archive/2013/05/38 ), in which he
offered some compensation for people that did interesting but unfunded¹
open-source Plan 9 and Inferno hacking.  Summer is well over, so it is
time to start the second half (paying out the rewards) of the Summer of
Code as Thou Wilt, the "Fall Slash Winter of Getting Paid for the Code
That Thou Wrote as Thou Would'st During the Summer of Code as Thou Wilt"
(which Reverso Labs is helping to organize logistically, which is why
I'm the one sending this email).

Before we get to the pragmatic concerns, due to the fire damage to the
Central Headquarters of the Lunar Revolution, MycroftIV's timetable for
large-scale Plan 9 based fiction/reality bind-hybridization has been
delayed, but he promises to return to the Plan 9 community soon.  He
would also like to address concerns that he lost his mind completely due
to overwork on the ANTS project.  He confirms this is true and that
going crazy was the best thing that ever happened to him.  He spent the
summer riding a custom-built bicycle around his city in runic shapes
while holding quartz crystals aloft and shouting "Harmonic Time-Bind
Ritual Symphony" at drunk college students.  (I have not seen this with
my own eyes, but I believe him when he tells me he did this.)

If you did hacking of the aforementioned type during the summer, please
get in touch by emailing fallslashwinter@reverso.be.  (Even if you don't
want to receive compensation, even if you don't want to say who you are,
etc., we would still like to hear from you.) That email address will
eventually go away, so please contact us as soon as you can.

Please include this information when you contact us:
· Your name ("real" name, nom de plume, nom de guerre, whatever)
· A link to the code² for the project(s) that you worked on
· A description of the project
· A Paypal³ account, included in the repo somewhere (to prevent
shenanigans of people claiming other people's code)
· Optionally, a link to your personal site, blog
· Whether or not you want your project/name/site/etc. to be listed on
the (pending) CATW⁴ site

As I said, we would like to hear from you even if you decline payment,
in which case all of the information is optional.  (Why would you do
that, though?)  If you want the payment, only the personal site link
is optional.

Thanks very much!

— MycroftIV, via Reverso Labs.

----

¹ i.e., not part of your job, not part of GSoC, etc., since the goal is
to fund people that don't get funded otherwise.

² Preferably Mercurial or Git repos, but tarballs/Venti
scores/directories in contrib/etc. are fine, too.

³ Yeah, Paypal, sorry.  We might be able to make other arrangements if
you *can't* do Paypal, but no promises.

⁴ Not to be confused with "cat -v"⁵, which is considered harmful.

⁵ Not to be confused with cat-v.org, which is a website and not a BSD
extension⁶ to cat(1)⁷.

⁶ https://raw.github.com/pete/cats/master/4.3bsd-cat.c

⁷ Although it was named after⁸ the considered-harmful BSD extension to
cat(1).

⁸ Or, technically, named after the presentation given by Rob Pike and
Brian W. Kernighan, which was entitled "UNIX Style, or cat -v Considered
Harmful", a title derived from their perspective⁹ on the
harmfulness of the BSD extensions to cat(1).

⁹ It's the correct perspective.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2013-11-17 23:07 UTC | newest]