* [9fans] /tmp in "ram disk"
@ 2007-05-31 18:54 ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-05-31 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

How do you create entries in the "ram disk" that plan 9 boots with,
i.e. where in the
pccpu
or whatever would I put an entry such that I get a
/tmp
directory when it comes up?

I'm sure it's obvious but I can't quite find it ...

thanks

ron

* Re: [9fans] /tmp in "ram disk"
@ 2007-05-31 18:59 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-05-31 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

the stuff in /tmp is not in a ramdisk but in eve's $home/tmp.

if you want to build stuff into the kernel which will appear in /boot,
you need to modify the bootdir section of the kernel template in
/sys/src/9/$arch/$templatename, where $templatename is probablly pccpu
or similar.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] /tmp in "ram disk"
@ 2007-05-31 19:02 ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2007-05-31 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> i.e. where in the
> pccpu
> or whatever would I put an entry such that I get a
> /tmp
> directory when it comes up?

/sys/src/9/port/devroot.c:94,107

* Re: [9fans] /tmp in "ram disk"
@ 2007-05-31 19:07   ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-05-31 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 5/31/07, Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> wrote:
> > i.e. where in the
> > pccpu
> > or whatever would I put an entry such that I get a
> > /tmp
> > directory when it comes up?
>
> /sys/src/9/port/devroot.c:94,107

I sleazed out and put an addrootdir("tmp") in devroot.c. It was the
easiest way out,
and that seems to be how it's done.

What I've got is a very limited node, security not an issue. I need a
ramfs, but I want a /tmp there for it. Simple stuff.

thanks

ron

* Re: [9fans] /tmp in "ram disk"
@ 2007-05-31 19:10     ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2007-05-31 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

can't you mount ramfs on / (before) and then create tmp inside ramfs?

On May 31, 2007, at 1:07 PM, ron minnich wrote:

> On 5/31/07, Richard Miller <9fans@hamnavoe.com> wrote:
>> > i.e. where in the
>> > pccpu
>> > or whatever would I put an entry such that I get a
>> > /tmp
>> > directory when it comes up?
>>
>> /sys/src/9/port/devroot.c:94,107
>>

> I sleazed out and put an addrootdir("tmp") in devroot.c. It was the
> easiest way out,
> and that seems to be how it's done.
>
> What I've got is a very limited node, security not an issue. I need a
> ramfs, but I want a /tmp there for it. Simple stuff.
>
> thanks
>
> ron

* Re: [9fans] /tmp in "ram disk"
@ 2007-05-31 19:14       ` ron minnich
From: ron minnich @ 2007-05-31 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 5/31/07, andrey mirtchovski <andrey@lanl.gov> wrote:
> can't you mount ramfs on / (before) and then create tmp inside ramfs?

Yes, I have also done this in the past. It gets kind of weird because
ramfs is one level ... at least that's my memory. So you can mkdir in
ramfs but things don't appear where you expect them to.

Or is my memory that bad?

OK, I'll try that once the machine I'm on comes back. It "went away"

ron

* Re: [9fans] /tmp in "ram disk"
@ 2007-05-31 19:58     ` Richard Miller
From: Richard Miller @ 2007-05-31 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> What I've got is a very limited node, security not an issue. I need a
> ramfs, but I want a /tmp there for it. Simple stuff.

You could also have used the little-known aux/stub command to make a /tmp.