* [9fans] usbinstamd64 on Dell 3010
@ 2014-02-16 16:01 Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2014-02-16 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi, all

The same usbinstamd64  (image and physical USB key) on both DELL 3010
and ASUS H61M-K boot regularly till the

"root is from (il, local)[local!#S/sdu0/fs/ -B 10000]:"

message. On CR confirm crashes saying

"connect ... boot: can't connect to file server: '#S/sdu0/fs' does not
exist"

IMHO the quality of the USB key could be an issue.

After a lot of attempts with very new keys of different brand/size, the
same image on
the 3010 the boot reaches the
                       "init: starting /bin/rc" point.
Then 10+ minutes of silence, a message too fast to be catched with a
camera, and and a 1+ hour black screen.

adriano

* Re: [9fans] usbinstamd64 on Dell 3010
@ 2014-02-16 16:47 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-02-16 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> After a lot of attempts with very new keys of different brand/size, the
> same image on
> the 3010 the boot reaches the
>                        "init: starting /bin/rc" point.
> Then 10+ minutes of silence, a message too fast to be catched with a
> camera, and and a 1+ hour black screen.

well that's discouraging.  the most likely issue is some vga snafu.
does ^T^Tr work?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] usbinstamd64 on Dell 3010
@ 2014-02-16 17:10   ` Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2014-02-16 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

erik quanstrom ha scritto:
>> After a lot of attempts with very new keys of different brand/size, the
>> same image on
>> the 3010 the boot reaches the
>>                         "init: starting /bin/rc" point.
>> Then 10+ minutes of silence, a message too fast to be catched with a
>> camera, and and a 1+ hour black screen.
> well that's discouraging.  the most likely issue is some vga snafu.
> does ^T^Tr work?
>
> - erik

:-(
With another key (same image) all proceed till the choice of the mouse.
After the CR, the endless black screen again.
ASAP I'll try ^T^Tr an let you know.

Some of the delay (usually << than 10 minutes) is due to DHCP.
I've no DHCP here but probably the problem is not the DHCP.

No news about ASUS H61M-K. I'll let you know ASAP

Any recent changes in the usbinstamd64 image ?

@ 2014-02-16 18:14   ` Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2014-02-16 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

erik quanstrom ha scritto:
>> After a lot of attempts with very new keys of different brand/size, the
>> same image on
>> the 3010 the boot reaches the
>>                         "init: starting /bin/rc" point.
>> Then 10+ minutes of silence, a message too fast to be catched with a
>> camera, and and a 1+ hour black screen.
> well that's discouraging.  the most likely issue is some vga snafu.
> does ^T^Tr work?
>
> - erik

Yes, a few minutes after the CR for mouse selection [USB], ^T^Tr reboots
the machine.

@ 2014-02-16 18:16     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-02-16 18:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Yes, a few minutes after the CR for mouse selection [USB], ^T^Tr reboots
> the machine.

so the ^T^Tr takes a few minutes to take effect?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] usbinstamd64 on Dell 3010
@ 2014-02-16 18:20       ` Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2014-02-16 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

erik quanstrom ha scritto:
>> Yes, a few minutes after the CR for mouse selection [USB], ^T^Tr reboots
>> the machine.
> so the ^T^Tr takes a few minutes to take effect?
>
> - erik

no, it is quite immediate == a few seconds to see the BIOS boot messages

@ 2014-02-16 18:44         ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-02-16 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

[568 files]
On Sun Feb 16 13:21:50 EST 2014, adriano.verardo@mail.com wrote:
> erik quanstrom ha scritto:
> >> Yes, a few minutes after the CR for mouse selection [USB], ^T^Tr reboots
> >> the machine.
> > so the ^T^Tr takes a few minutes to take effect?
> >
> > - erik
> >

> no, it is quite immediate == a few seconds to see the BIOS boot messages

i would diagnose this as most likely an issue with vga.  your
kernel is clearly running, and receiving interrupts.   if you
could try interrupting the boot loader by hitting the space
bar a few times just after selecting the default boot option.
then enter

user=none
boot

this should disable video, and we can see if that is indeed the issue.
it could be as simple as your monitor and the vesa bios not coming
together on a video mode.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] usbinstamd64 on Dell 3010
@ 2014-02-16 20:01           ` Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2014-02-16 20:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

erik quanstrom ha scritto:
> [568 files]
>>> so the ^T^Tr takes a few minutes to take effect?
>>>
>>> - erik
>>>

>> no, it is quite immediate == a few seconds to see the BIOS boot messages
> i would diagnose this as most likely an issue with vga.  your
> kernel is clearly running, and receiving interrupts.   if you
> could try interrupting the boot loader by hitting the space
> bar a few times just after selecting the default boot option.
> then enter
>
> user=none
> boot
>
> this should disable video, and we can see if that is indeed the issue.
> it could be as simple as your monitor and the vesa bios not coming
> together on a video mode.
>
> - erik

Done. Once again, apart from VGA specific issues,  the problem seems to
be a defective
and/or not correcly initialized usb key. See the jpg. Correct ?

Under plan9 the dd/pump of the image on the key is very slow (tried
sever buffer size etc) and,
i suspect, not always error free.

Do you know how to reliably dd an usb key under win7 ?

adriano

[-- Attachment #2: IMG_20140217_035007.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 752645 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] usbinstamd64 on Dell 3010
@ 2014-02-17  3:33             ` Joseph Thompson
From: Joseph Thompson @ 2014-02-17  3:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 21:01:20 +0100
Adriano Verardo <adriano.verardo@mail.com> wrote:

> Do you know how to reliably dd an usb key under win7 ?
>
> adriano

Win32DiskImager seems to be the usual recommendation in my experience.
I'm afraid I can't vouch for its reliability, though.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

joe

* Re: [9fans] usbinstamd64 on Dell 3010
@ 2014-02-17 11:02               ` Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2014-02-17 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Joseph Thompson ha scritto:
> On Sun, 16 Feb 2014 21:01:20 +0100
> Adriano Verardo <adriano.verardo@mail.com> wrote:
>
>> Do you know how to reliably dd an usb key under win7 ?
>>
>> adriano
> Win32DiskImager seems to be the usual recommendation in my experience.
> I'm afraid I can't vouch for its reliability, though.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/
>
> joe

Thank you a lot,  Joe.

Win32DiskImager is 10x+ faster than dd/pump and pretty smart but the
final result is exactly the same.

@ 2014-02-17 13:06                 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-02-17 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> final result is exactly the same.

i blame the usb driver.  i hope to get some time to look at it today.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] usbinstamd64 on Dell 3010
@ 2014-02-17 13:38                   ` Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2014-02-17 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

erik quanstrom ha scritto:
>> final result is exactly the same.
> i blame the usb driver.  i hope to get some time to look at it today.
>
> - erik

I'm observing that, with different fresh usb keys and writing tools, the
error is (almost)
always the same.

A long long time ago I had a similar behaviour with the driver of a
DEC-RL-02-like disk,
due to a my mistake in the calculus of  physical sector/track.  That
driver worked fine
for 1+ years till the first access to sectors over a given (I don't
remember ..) address.

adriano