* [9fans] Dell 3010 install problems - all tested kits
@ 2014-02-17 14:19 Adriano Verardo
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2014-02-17 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi, all

A synthesis of 1 week of attempts.

A fresh Dell 3010, AHCI, several fresh USB keys. Bell's, 9Atom and
9Front don'install.

usbinstamd64: several issues, as already documented in another thread.
An additional note: a persistent "addpart: #S/sdE0: i/o error" message.

9Atom cd downloaded on February, 5: rio install starts as usual, all ok
till the fdisk-w .
No useful messages. Only a generic warn (on rio window) and a console
display
of the disk identification data. Then all stops having no Plan9
partition to install on.
Trying on an pre-partitioned disk (by 9Front) the same problem arises in
prepdisk,
after the q cmd (not w+q). Same messages.
So 9Atom seems to have problems with usb and AHCI, but only in writing
the partion. VGA ok.

Bell's usbdisk download yesterday: hangs after a few messages. I can
send video snapshots
to anyone interested. Let me know.

Bell's cd downloaded on Feb, 5: rio install starts as usual but the disk
is not detected at all.

9Front cd downloaded on Feb, 9: boots ok but doesn'configure the VGA.
So text mode, all default choices. I/O error(s) when reaming the filesystem.
Partisk and prepdisk ok. Video snapshots available, let me know.

Hoping this could be useful.

adriano

* Re: [9fans] Dell 3010 install problems - all tested kits
@ 2014-02-17 14:33 ` Adriano Verardo
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2014-02-17 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Adriano Verardo ha scritto:
> Hi, all
>
> The 2012 9Atom cd behaves exactly as the latest one.
>
> adriano

* Re: [9fans] Dell 3010 install problems - all tested kits
@ 2014-02-17 14:43 ` erik quanstrom
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-02-17 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> A fresh Dell 3010, AHCI, several fresh USB keys. Bell's, 9Atom and
> 9Front don'install.
>
> usbinstamd64: several issues, as already documented in another thread.
> An additional note: a persistent "addpart: #S/sdE0: i/o error" message.
>
> 9Atom cd downloaded on February, 5: rio install starts as usual, all ok
> till the fdisk-w .
> No useful messages. Only a generic warn (on rio window) and a console
> display
> of the disk identification data. Then all stops having no Plan9
> partition to install on.
> Trying on an pre-partitioned disk (by 9Front) the same problem arises in
> prepdisk,
> after the q cmd (not w+q). Same messages.
> So 9Atom seems to have problems with usb and AHCI, but only in writing
> the partion. VGA ok.
>
> Bell's usbdisk download yesterday: hangs after a few messages. I can
> send video snapshots
> to anyone interested. Let me know.
>
> Bell's cd downloaded on Feb, 5: rio install starts as usual but the disk
> is not detected at all.
>
> 9Front cd downloaded on Feb, 9: boots ok but doesn'configure the VGA.
> So text mode, all default choices. I/O error(s) when reaming the filesystem.
> Partisk and prepdisk ok. Video snapshots available, let me know.

okay.  if you have a chance, with the 9atom cd that boots to rio,
can you try dd'ing from the /dev/sdE? you can just open a new window
in the installer.

	; ramfs
	; dd -if /dev/sdE?/data -of /tmp -count 100 &&
		dd -if /tmp -of /dev/sdE?/data -count 100

also the output of

	; cat /dev/sdE?/ctl

and
	; pci

and
	; cat /dev/irqalloc

would be helpful.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Dell 3010 install problems - all tested kits
@ 2014-02-17 15:35   ` Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2014-02-17 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

erik quanstrom ha scritto:
>> A fresh Dell 3010, AHCI, several fresh USB keys. Bell's, 9Atom and
>> 9Front don'install.
>>
>> usbinstamd64: several issues, as already documented in another thread.
>> An additional note: a persistent "addpart: #S/sdE0: i/o error" message.
>>
>> 9Atom cd downloaded on February, 5: rio install starts as usual, all ok
>> till the fdisk-w .
>> No useful messages. Only a generic warn (on rio window) and a console
>> display
>> of the disk identification data. Then all stops having no Plan9
>> partition to install on.
>> Trying on an pre-partitioned disk (by 9Front) the same problem arises in
>> prepdisk,
>> after the q cmd (not w+q). Same messages.
>> So 9Atom seems to have problems with usb and AHCI, but only in writing
>> the partion. VGA ok.
>>
>> Bell's usbdisk download yesterday: hangs after a few messages. I can
>> send video snapshots
>> to anyone interested. Let me know.
>>
>> Bell's cd downloaded on Feb, 5: rio install starts as usual but the disk
>> is not detected at all.
>>
>> 9Front cd downloaded on Feb, 9: boots ok but doesn'configure the VGA.
>> So text mode, all default choices. I/O error(s) when reaming the filesystem.
>> Partisk and prepdisk ok. Video snapshots available, let me know.
> okay.  if you have a chance, with the 9atom cd that boots to rio,
> can you try dd'ing from the /dev/sdE? you can just open a new window
> in the installer.
>
> 	; ramfs
> 	; dd -if /dev/sdE?/data -of /tmp -count 100 &&
> 		dd -if /tmp -of /dev/sdE?/data -count 100
>
> also the output of
>
> 	; cat /dev/sdE?/ctl
>
> and
> 	; pci
>
> and
> 	; cat /dev/irqalloc
>
> would be helpful.
>
> - erik
>
> Done

[-- Attachment #2: IMG_20140217_233219.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 197347 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] Dell 3010 install problems - all tested kits
@ 2014-02-17 15:43   ` Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2014-02-17 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

cat /dev/irqalloc would be helpful. - erik irq

[-- Attachment #2: IMG_20140217_233754.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 84353 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] Dell 3010 install problems - all tested kits
@ 2014-02-17 15:51   ` Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2014-02-17 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Additional info:

Some noisy "cpu0: spuriuos interrupt 39, last12 (and last 1)".
cat /dev/kprint in a hidden win to have clean pictures.

@ 2014-02-17 15:52 ` Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2014-02-17 15:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Other info:

Some noisy "cpu0: spuriuos interrupt 39, last12 (and last 1)".
cat /dev/kprint in a hidden win to have clean pictures.

adriano

* Re: [9fans] Dell 3010 install problems - all tested kits
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-02-17 18:02 ` Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2014-02-17 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

FreeBSD 9.0 installs. Could its boot log be useful ?

@ 2014-02-17 19:08     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-02-17 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

thanks.  this confirms that the issue appears to be  that you have a 4k sector drive.
i think i have this fixed.  the .iso is updated.  give me a few hrs to
rebuild my environment (and fight the usual fires) so i can generate
and test a new image. further image generation should be quick.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Dell 3010 install problems - all tested kits
@ 2014-02-17 20:34       ` Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2014-02-17 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

erik quanstrom ha scritto:
> thanks.  this confirms that the issue appears to be  that you have a 4k sector drive.
> i think i have this fixed.  the .iso is updated.  give me a few hrs to
> rebuild my environment (and fight the usual fires) so i can generate
> and test a new image. further image generation should be quick.
>
> - erik

Grande Erik !