* [9fans] Bell usb keys boot fails
@ 2014-03-02 17:19 Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2014-03-02 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi, all

The Bell usb image doesn't boot on some (IMHO) very common machines.
Screenshots available on

https://plus.google.com/communities/114338091970720321008?partnerid=ogpy0

adriano

* Re: [9fans] Bell usb keys boot fails
@ 2014-03-03  5:54 ` Nick Owens
From: Nick Owens @ 2014-03-03  5:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sun, Mar 02, 2014 at 06:19:57PM +0100, Adriano Verardo wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> The Bell usb image doesn't boot on some (IMHO) very common machines.
> Screenshots available on

you could just try adding the did to /sys/src/9/pc/sdiahci.c:1939 and
recompile a new kernel.

maybe it will work, maybe it wont. only the people with the hardware can
test it.

also, it looks like that chipset might be affected by the intel cougar
point bug.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 851 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] Bell usb keys boot fails
@ 2014-03-03 19:28   ` Adriano Verardo
From: Adriano Verardo @ 2014-03-03 19:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Nick Owens ha scritto:
> On Sun, Mar 02, 2014 at 06:19:57PM +0100, Adriano Verardo wrote:
>> Hi, all
>>
>> The Bell usb image doesn't boot on some (IMHO) very common machines.
>> Screenshots available on
>>
> you could just try adding the did to /sys/src/9/pc/sdiahci.c:1939 and
> recompile a new kernel.
I can, but I suspect that the solution is more complex than just add a
did in a table.
> maybe it will work, maybe it wont. only the people with the hardware can
> test it.
With the hardware it's just easier. I'm not able to patch but I can make
tests and
send back the results. I raise an issue just to, politely, let the Labs
aware about a problem
which makes it impossible to use Plan9 on a high percentage of  PCs in
Italy and perhaps
in Europe.
> also, it looks like that chipset might be affected by the intel cougar
> point bug.
No known problems about the robustness of the sata ports.
My 3010 is the Small Form Factor model, usually distributed with a
pre-installed Win7/Win8,
which have only two ports. It is the model largely used for office apps
by big (3-400+ boxes each)
local companies. And, almost all various brands offer ASUS based PCs
which often have similar problems.

adriano