* [9fans] Plumb menu option not working
@ 2014-03-12 13:10 Steve Foster
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Steve Foster @ 2014-03-12 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Problem with plumb, I think.

If I type, for e.g

term% plumb pic.jpg

It opens the image no problem. It doesn't work when I middle click and choose the plumb option though. The pointer changes to a question mark for a split second and then - nothing, it just returns to the prompt. Is this what should happen? If so what is happening when I select plumb from the menu rather than typing it as above?

Or am I misunderstanding how this works?

Steve.

* Re: [9fans] Plumb menu option not working
@ 2014-03-12 14:07 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2014-03-12 14:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

The plumber must be able to see the file in its namespace, it probably
cannot in this case.

* Re: [9fans] Plumb menu option not working
@ 2014-03-12 14:26   ` Steve Foster
From: Steve Foster @ 2014-03-12 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> From: steve@quintile.net
> Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2014 14:07:25 +0000
> To: 9fans@9fans.net
> Subject: Re: [9fans] Plumb menu option not working
>
> The plumber must be able to see the file in its namespace, it probably
> cannot in this case.

The files I'm trying to open are in /usr/glenda/files are here.

This should work shouldn't it? It's not the end of the world, but I would like to get it working if possible.

I did reply directly to you about the problem with cifs as you requested.

Thanks for helping me.

@ 2014-03-12 14:34 ` ikrabbe.ask
From: ikrabbe.ask @ 2014-03-12 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hey Steve,

when you

term% plumb whatever

you operate wthin the namespace of the rc window, when you mid-click+plumb, or right click somewhere you operate in the namespace of the system, which you can examine for example by:

plumb 'Local ns>/tmp/main.ns' # at least if you have no strange /tmp binds (as with ramfs)

Anyway plumb 'Local …' is your friend when building the system namespace that is used for the mouse clicks.

But the plan9 plumber even much more flexible than that, as you can start concurrent plumber in one system or mount remote plumbers to exchange data with remote machines. So the concepts just feels like Copy&Paste Operations on the first glimpse, but can be extended to get you completely confused, when you don't know what you're doing.

So always know your namespace, or at least the customized part of it, is a good first hint, I think.

ingo

* Re: [9fans] Plumb menu option not working
@ 2014-03-12 15:22   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-03-12 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Mar 12 10:09:35 EDT 2014, steve@quintile.net wrote:
> The plumber must be able to see the file in its namespace, it probably
> cannot in this case.

it can also be an issue of working directory.  if /path/to/file plumbs, but
file does not, then it's a working directory issue.

> But the plan9 plumber even much more flexible than that, as you can
> start concurrent plumber in one system or mount remote plumbers to
> exchange data with remote machines.  So the concepts just feels like
> Copy&Paste Operations on the first glimpse, but can be extended to get
> you completely confused, when you don't know what you're doing.

do you have a practical use for this?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Plumb menu option not working
@ 2014-03-12 15:27     ` Jacob Todd
From: Jacob Todd @ 2014-03-12 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mar 12, 2014 11:25 AM, "erik quanstrom" <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> do you have a practical use for this?

Exchanging data with remote machines.

@ 2014-03-12 15:30       ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-03-12 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> On Mar 12, 2014 11:25 AM, "erik quanstrom" <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> > do you have a practical use for this?
> >
> Exchanging data with remote machines.

can you be more specific than this?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Plumb menu option not working
@ 2014-03-12 17:47 ` Friedrich Psiorz
From: Friedrich Psiorz @ 2014-03-12 17:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Are you selecting the text first? Rio is very different from acme in the
way it treats mouse clicks. When you want to plumb something, you need
to select it, or at least left click on the respective word, before
using the middle click menu.
Similar thing with pasting: The text doesn't get inserted where you
opened the menu, but where the text cursor is.