* [9fans] A few questions about plan 9
@ 2005-12-12 19:38 Keith Poole
From: Keith Poole @ 2005-12-12 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

I've just got Plan 9 installed on a spare machine and I've got it
mostly working - if it's OK, I'd like to ask some questions about the
setup and plan 9 in general.

First off, I've managed to connect to plan9 using drawterm from my
powerbook.  I followed the instructions from http://www.cs.bell-
labs.com/wiki/plan9/Drawterm_to_your_terminal/diff.html  which worked
very well - I do have a query though, it seems to imply that you have
to execute "echo 'key user=glenda dom=drawterm.test proto=p9sk1 !
password=loginpassword' > /mnt/factotum/ctl" each time you reboot the
machine - is this true, or is this only required on the first use?

Also, does anyone use drawterm on OSX? I can't find the del key to
interrupt executing programs.

I'm also trying to look at my plan9.ini file, after searching the
internet, I have discovered that it's on a separate partition which
can be accessed using the 9fat: command, executing this command
though gives the error message: "mount: can't open /srv/dos: '/srv/
dos' permission denied" - help?!?

One final question, what resources are there to learn about
development under plan9 - I've found bits & pieces, but I'd like to
know what is available.

Thanks for your time

Keith

* Re: [9fans] A few questions about plan 9
@ 2005-12-12 21:39 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2005-12-12 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> First off, I've managed to connect to plan9 using drawterm from my
> powerbook.  I followed the instructions from http://www.cs.bell-
> labs.com/wiki/plan9/Drawterm_to_your_terminal/diff.html  which worked
> very well - I do have a query though, it seems to imply that you have
> to execute "echo 'key user=glenda dom=drawterm.test proto=p9sk1 !
> password=loginpassword' > /mnt/factotum/ctl" each time you reboot the
> machine - is this true, or is this only required on the first use?

check secstore(1)

> I'm also trying to look at my plan9.ini file, after searching the
> internet, I have discovered that it's on a separate partition which
> can be accessed using the 9fat: command, executing this command
> though gives the error message: "mount: can't open /srv/dos: '/srv/
> dos' permission denied" - help?!?

check dossrv(4) and look at the permissions on /srv/dos.  it's most
likey due to being drawterm-ed in with a different id than 'bootes',
who owns things on the cpu.  lastly check /rc/bin/9fat: (and friends)
for more hints

> One final question, what resources are there to learn about
> development under plan9 - I've found bits & pieces, but I'd like to
> know what is available.

i find that reading the Plan9 sources is very educational.  after that
the contrib directory on sources is useful.

* Re: [9fans] A few questions about plan 9
@ 2005-12-12 21:55   ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2005-12-12 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>> One final question, what resources are there to learn about
>> development under plan9 - I've found bits & pieces, but I'd like to
>> know what is available.
>
> i find that reading the Plan9 sources is very educational.  after that
> the contrib directory on sources is useful.

for tools check acme(1), sam(1), acid(1) and rc(1) to start.  getting
"enlightened" to the way of Plan9 probably takes the most practice and
time - but is the most enjoyable.