* [9fans] Encryption
@ 2008-02-28 17:31 Enrico Weigelt
       [not found] ` <f1f8b32b0fae7acc3531c3decdf80fff@terzarima.net>
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2008-02-28 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi folks,

how is encryption stuff handled on Plan9 ?
Is there an library (like openssl) or an separate fs for that ?

thx
	http://patches.metux.de/

* Re: [9fans] Encryption
@ 2008-02-28 17:55 ` Charles Forsyth
       [not found] ` <f1f8b32b0fae7acc3531c3decdf80fff@terzarima.net>
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2008-02-28 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weigelt, 9fans

> Is there an library (like openssl) or an separate fs for that ?

ssl(3), tls(3), rc4(2), pushtls(2), pushssl(2), and related pages
such as rsa(2) and mp(2)

* Re: [9fans] Encryption
       [not found] ` <f1f8b32b0fae7acc3531c3decdf80fff@terzarima.net>
@ 2008-02-29 14:40   ` Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2008-02-29 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

* Charles Forsyth <forsyth@terzarima.net> wrote:
> > Is there an library (like openssl) or an separate fs for that ?
>
> ssl(3), tls(3), rc4(2), pushtls(2), pushssl(2), and related pages
> such as rsa(2) and mp(2)

Thx, I'll have a look at it later (currently a bit under time
presure :(().

Perhaps you could give me a little comparison between plan9's
crypt stuff and openssl.

I need some interface(s) which can handle virtually any cipher.
My primary interst is using it on GNU'ish platforms (eg. Linux)
and also use it from within the kernel (make the kernel smaller).

I'm currently trying to evaluate which parts of the Linux kernel
could be moved out to userland. Already identified several lo-lovel-hw
independent drivers (eg. higher level usb) and complex network
filesystems (eg. coda or smb/cifs). IMHO they most of them could
be made 9P2k servers :)

cu
	http://patches.metux.de/

* Re: [9fans] Encryption
@ 2008-02-29 16:30     ` roger peppe
From: roger peppe @ 2008-02-29 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weigelt, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 2:40 PM, Enrico Weigelt <weigelt@metux.de> wrote:
>  I need some interface(s) which can handle virtually any cipher.

under inferno, i've used ssl(3) to implement a simple algorithm-agnostic
crypto command; you could use tls(3) or ssl(3) under plan 9 to do the
same thing. they're straightforward to use.
the algorithms provided by each of these is different:

inferno ssl:
descbc desecb des_56_cbc des_56_ecb des_40_cbc des_40_ecb rc4 rc4_256
rc4_128 rc4_40 ideacbc ideaecb

plan 9 tls:
clear rc4_128 3des_ede_cbc

plan 9 ssl:
descbc desecb des_56_cbc des_56_ecb des_40_cbc des_40_ecb rc4 rc4_256
rc4_128 rc4_40

these are all implemented by the kernel, so not a great example
for you, perhaps, but a nice example of a simple, uniform interface without
any of the usual API cruft.

see for example: http://plan9.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/3/ssl

* Re: [9fans] Encryption
@ 2008-02-29 18:24       ` Enrico Weigelt
From: Enrico Weigelt @ 2008-02-29 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

* roger peppe <rogpeppe@gmail.com> wrote:

> these are all implemented by the kernel, so not a great example
> for you, perhaps, but a nice example of a simple, uniform interface without
> any of the usual API cruft.
>
> see for example: http://plan9.bell-labs.com/magic/man2html/3/ssl

Ah, looks very interesting.
But I've still got some questions:

* why isn't the secret not represented by one (r/w) file ?
* how can I attach an local fd to an remote ssl server ?
* how can I read/write arbitary data blocks (w/o fd) ?

cu
	http://patches.metux.de/