* [9fans] off topic - free signed SSL/TLS certs
@ 2015-11-05 11:13 Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2015-11-05 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Anyone any experience of a provider of free SSL/TLS
certificates they would reccomend?

I appologise if my terminology is imperfect, I am new
to this game.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] off topic - free signed SSL/TLS certs
@ 2015-11-05 11:27 ` Costin Chirvasuta
From: Costin Chirvasuta @ 2015-11-05 11:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

StartSSL: https://konklone.com/post/switch-to-https-now-for-free
Free for non-comercial purposes. I believe you need to renew every year.

Also participating in letsencrypt.org beta program, but you need to renew
every 3 months (though they do have support for automated renewal,
haven't tried yet).

@ 2015-11-05 13:28   ` Kurt H Maier
From: Kurt H Maier @ 2015-11-05 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Thu, Nov 05, 2015 at 01:27:49PM +0200, Costin Chirvasuta wrote:
> StartSSL: https://konklone.com/post/switch-to-https-now-for-free
> Free for non-comercial purposes. I believe you need to renew every year.

StartSSL Free is free for commercial use as well.

khm

* Re: [9fans] off topic - free signed SSL/TLS certs
@ 2015-11-05 13:40   ` Wes Kussmaul
From: Wes Kussmaul @ 2015-11-05 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

StartSSL is a good choice (full disclosure: I'm a stockholder there.)

Letsencrypt is the latest wrinkle on what I call "collegial certification."

For hazards in previous instances of collegial certification, see

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bU3VUATnzY&list=PLD56377E8E430F98D&index=21

Full disclosure: We produced that video.

Wes

--

Wes Kussmaul
The Authenticity Institute

office +1 781 790 1674
mobile +1 781 330 1881

THIS COMMUNICATION IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE USE OF THE PERSON TO WHOM IT IS ADDRESSED. If it was addressed incorrectly there's not much I can do but ask you politely to pretend you didn't see it. Any disclaimer suggesting that the sender has some kind of recourse is just wishful thinking.

If I had a message from you that was digitally signed using your Sigillum™ identity credential from the Osmio Vital Records Department (http://osmio.ch), we could easily and at no cost exchange encrypted messages and files with each other.