* Re: [9fans] multiboot
@ 2002-11-17  1:50 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2002-11-17  1:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i use the following to multiboot,
and i'm very happy with it.

hget http://plan9.bell-labs.com/~rsc/mbr.bootmgr >/tmp/mbr.bootmgr
disk/mbr -m /tmp/mbr.bootmgr /dev/sdC0/data

you can also write it to a floppy to get
a floppy disk that does things like help
old bioses boot from bootable cds.

the source code is from

http://btmgr.sourceforge.net

(thanks to whoever it was on this list
for originally pointing this program out.)
except that i added Plan 9 to the list
of known disk ids, and i tweaked the
binary so that disk/mbr could install
the boot manager rather than need
their custom installer.

what i like the most is that all the
configuration can be done at the
boot screen; it doesn't require some
particular os for configuration.

* Re: [9fans] multiboot
@ 2002-11-17  0:56 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2002-11-17  0:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I've used (for a very short time) FreeBSD's boot loader to boot
win2k + plan9. I used a bootdisk to set the mbr once I installed
everything. windows was on a fat32 partition.

you may be interested: I use 'ogle' for dvd playback under
freebsd and it works fine. it should work even better with linux :)

andrey

On Sat, 16 Nov 2002, Sam wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I'm finally getting around to dumping linux off my laptop
> (keeping win2k for dvd playback) and it dawned on me that
> I won't be able to use lilo any longer.  Anyone have a
> similar configuration and if so, what bootloader do you use?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Sam

* [9fans] multiboot
@ 2002-11-17  0:56 Sam