* [9fans] Installing plan9 on an SGI Indy/Indigo
@ 2003-05-23 16:29 Steffen M. Boelaars
From: Steffen M. Boelaars @ 2003-05-23 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

I want to install Plan9 on an SGI Indy and SGI Indigo system. But being
quite new to this, I did not manage to find out how to do this. I searched
on google and though this newsgroup/mailinglist but couldn't find any info
on how to do the installation.
If anyone could give me some help/hints or point me to a place with proper
information about this, that would be quite appreciated.

best regards,

Steffen M. Boelaars

* Re: [9fans] Installing plan9 on an SGI Indy/Indigo
@ 2003-05-23 16:46 ` William K. Josephson
From: William K. Josephson @ 2003-05-23 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Fri, May 23, 2003 at 04:29:33PM +0000, Steffen M. Boelaars wrote:
> I want to install Plan9 on an SGI Indy and SGI Indigo system. But being
> quite new to this, I did not manage to find out how to do this. I searched
> on google and though this newsgroup/mailinglist but couldn't find any info
> on how to do the installation.

The SGI bits are not distributed, so you're out of luck.

* Re: [9fans] Installing plan9 on an SGI Indy/Indigo
@ 2003-05-23 16:48 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-05-23 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I want to install Plan9 on an SGI Indy and SGI Indigo system.

The second edition of Plan 9 ran on the Indy if not also the Indigo,
but that port has not been kept up.  Unfortunately it's my understanding
that we don't have the rights to release the old code for free.

Sorry.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Installing plan9 on an SGI Indy/Indigo
@ 2003-05-27  9:21   ` Steffen M. Boelaars
From: Steffen M. Boelaars @ 2003-05-27  9:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The second edition of Plan 9 ran on the Indy if not also the Indigo,
> but that port has not been kept up.  Unfortunately it's my understanding
> that we don't have the rights to release the old code for free.

Well,
no-one said I would want it just for free.
Are there any options?

Steffen

* Re: [9fans] Installing plan9 on an SGI Indy/Indigo
@ 2003-05-27 10:41     ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2003-05-27 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

if there is a Linux port to the same machines, and that source has
been made available, it would make it easier to create a new Plan 9
implementation for the SGI that could be released with less fuss.
a reasonable chunk of the MIPS support required in l.s and
for trap handling is not actually SGI-specific,
but the device and graphics subsystems are definitely peculiar to SGI.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2059 bytes --]

From: "Steffen M. Boelaars" <newsgroups@graphicscave.com>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Installing plan9 on an SGI Indy/Indigo
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 09:21:50 GMT

       [not found] <483741857@snellwilcox.com>
@ 2003-05-27  9:41 ` steve.simon
From: steve.simon @ 2003-05-27  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I reckon the only chance would be to find a
second hand 2nd edition CDROM.

-Steve

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 813 bytes --]

From: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 10:21:50 +0100