* [9fans] useful replica messages
@ 2003-03-07 19:23 Sam
From: Sam @ 2003-03-07 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Heya,

I'm trying to add a few lines to make the
messages from replica a little more useful;
I'm changing lines of the form:
	x: locally modified, will not ...
to:
	replica/pull -s dbname x # locally modified, will not ...

a trite change, but it'll let me fix files
I've accidentally stepped on without a whole
lot of thought.

I'm having a problem mking the source:
	term% cd $home/replica #assume local applylog.c
	term% bind -a /sys/src/cmd/replica .
	term% mk
	usage: mk all, install, installall, ...
	term% mk all
	8c -FVw revproto.c
	<eof> cannot open revproto.8
	mk: 8c -FVw revproto.c  : exit status=rc 4568: 8c 4570: error

The perms look ok on $home/replica, so what's the issue here?

Sam

* Re: [9fans] useful replica messages
@ 2003-03-07 19:45 ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2003-03-07 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> 	term% cd $home/replica #assume local applylog.c
> 	term% bind -a /sys/src/cmd/replica .

bind -ac /sys/src/cmd/replica .

> 	8c -FVw revproto.c
> 	<eof> cannot open revproto.8

Admitedly, 8c's error message could be a little more helpful.
``Mounted directory forbides creation'' should have been spit
out as well.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] useful replica messages
@ 2003-03-07 19:56   ` Sam
From: Sam @ 2003-03-07 19:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I suppose I incorrectly presumed I could
-a and expect creations to land in $home/replica.
Is there no mechanism for this, and/or is the
expected usage supposed to be the reverse;
that I'ld go to /sys/src/cmd/replica and
bind -bc $home/replica?

Sam

@ 2003-03-07 19:58     ` Dan Cross
From: Dan Cross @ 2003-03-07 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I suppose I incorrectly presumed I could
> -a and expect creations to land in $home/replica.
> Is there no mechanism for this, and/or is the
> expected usage supposed to be the reverse;
> that I'ld go to /sys/src/cmd/replica and
> bind -bc $home/replica?

No, you were correct in your assumption.  You just forgot the ``-c''
option to bind to allow creation in the new union directory.

	- Dan C.

* Re: [9fans] useful replica messages
@ 2003-03-07 20:00     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2003-03-07 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

you can

cd $home/replica
bind -c . .
bind -a /sys/src/cmd/replica .

* Re: [9fans] useful replica messages
@ 2003-03-07 20:10       ` Sam
From: Sam @ 2003-03-07 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hrm - ok, then I'm not totally confused.
	man 1 bind | sed -n '/  -c/,/^$/p'
states that the creation lands in the union
directory bound with a -c.  Russ's suggested
trick gives me the effect I was after, but
feels kinda shifty.  What benefit do we
get from specifying this mechanism this way?